Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Anyone a gardener? I need a few pointers

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:07 pm
Any fellow gardeners out there?

I'm kind of new at gardening. Any tips for getting my tomato and pepper seeds to sprout? Many flowers have started sprouting, but not the veggies. Confused

Please post your suggestions ASAP.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 9:52 pm
isn't it kind of early for them?

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:05 pm
It takes time ... and why are you worried if the flowers are blooming ... the veggies come next ... it sounds good so far ... and where are you that you are growing stuff ... I guess somewhere sunny Sunny

SouthernShalom

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:28 pm
edit

Last edited by SouthernShalom on Thu, May 15 2008, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 7:41 am
Sorry for lack of clarity. I started the plants indoors from seeds. They are all in little peat pots, covered with saran wrap and kept in a sunny window. I'm in the mid-atlantic area and can't transfer my seedlings outside until May 1.

So still, all of the flower seeds have sprouted but not the tomato or pepper seeds. Its been 10 days since I started them, should I just give up?

I think even if the veggies do still sprout they won't be very big by May 1 and I may not see fruits so perhaps I should just buy some plants instead.

I am a first timer at gardening from seed so if anyone has tips I'd appreciate it.

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:41 am
Your seeds should germinate 7-14 days after planting. Some factors to take into consideration are:

Did you use peat pots or peat pellets?
How much H2O are you giving them?
How much sun are they receiving?
What is the temp? 70 F is the ideal. I keep my seedlings on a heating pad to force them. I started my seeds (corn, tomatoes,, melon, peas, brocolli, squash, pumpkin) 10 days ago. I have about 60% that have come up.

I didn't plant peppers this year. If I remember correctly the tomato will come up first.

After watering the peat pots, you should plant 3 seeds in it. You can thing your seedlings if neccessary when it comes time to plant.

When did you purchase your seeds? Check the sell by date to make sure it is for this growing season.

I am in Southern Virginia. My cool weather crops don't do so well with my 'regular' planting schedule, so we plant those seeds after we harvest the bulk of our crops.

I do not have a natural green thumb. I had to learn it all. The easiest things to grow from seed (in my experience) are tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Anyone for Israeli salad?

micki

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:21 am
give up to 3 weeks to germinate. make sure not to overwater

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:56 pm
Micki, SS or anyone else:

I started the seeds in (wet) peat pots filled moist potting soil. This worked well for the impatiens, bee balm, delphinium, lobelia and coleus. But no action yet with the toms or peppers.

If by 3 weeks the tomatoes or peppers haven't germinated is it too late to start again and hope to have a decent sized plant outside by May 1st? Someone told me the plants grow much faster after they're transplanted in the ground. True???

By the way, anyone seeing blooming bulbs yet? My little crocuses are so sweet -- they make me so happy! The daffs are almost ready to bloom and tulip leaves are making a show.

Don't ask me when I have time to do all this gardening with Pesach just around the corner?!?

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:35 pm
We have had daffodils blooming. It is gorgeous.

Taking care of my little seedlings is very peaceful. It is how I keep my sanity during all the cleaning rush.

You still have plenty of time. Do you have more peat pellets? If you are worried, start some more tomatoes. Plant 3 seeds per peat pot. If all three grow, you can thin them out. Better to have too many, than too few.

When you are ready to plant them outdoors, you have to acclimate them to get them to grow faster.

Do you have a heating pad? Put it under the tray of peat pellets. It will help to force them. Be careful not to overwater.

If you want state/local specific information do a google search for your state plus "cooperative extension". If you call the local extension office, they can give you great advice re local horticulture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics