Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Do your kids have lice? Should I ask?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 2:48 pm
We will be staying by a family member in israel. The last time we were in israel our kids got lice. I want to just be more careful if the family we are staying by have lice. Is it ok to ask if your children have lice? What should I do?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 2:51 pm
I would assume that if they knew about it they would be trying to take care of it -- the bigger risk is if they just don't check and don't know, in which case asking if they have lice won't be too helpful! I would say be careful in general about sharing hair supplies, etc, and buy a good lice comb and comb your kid's hair every night. This way even if somehow they come in contact with it, you will make sure it doesn't take hold in their hair. If they don't have lice going through the hair with a comb only takes about 5 minutes.

myself

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 2:55 pm
They will come across plenty of other people besides your hosts. Also your host may think her children are lice free and then one of her kids can come home from school with it one day. It's not a guarantee. Comb your kids hair at least once every day so that if they catch any you'll be able to tackle it right away. Perhaps also buy these lice repelling sprays to use as a precaution though I wonder how effective they are.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 2:56 pm
My assumption was correct me if I'm wrong that most Israelis don't remove lice since a lot of children have it. Its too much of a headache.

Didi

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 3:01 pm
Bring your own pillow cases, tie up your kids hair in tight braid's or pony's. Put Rosemary oil behind their ears. Even dab some on hair. Good Luck

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 3:02 pm
get some tea tree oil & put it on the nape of their neck & behind their ears & comb out their hair every day & every night with a lice comb ... keep their hair in

a louse in time saves a lice chasunah

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 3:05 pm
I have NEVER come across anyone who intentionally doesn't remove lice because it's a "headache". What I have found here is that people are not as vigilant about checking/ finding it. For example in the states the schools always required lice checks at the end of the summer before returning to school, and a few times during the year, and I've never seen it here. But I can't imagine anyone intentionally not removing the lice. (I do live in a more Chutznik area, maybe I am wrong and there are people like you describe).

In either case, a good lice comb daily will be your best bet.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
My assumption was correct me if I'm wrong that most Israelis don't remove lice since a lot of children have it. Its too much of a headache.

Actually most of the (native) Israelis I know do take care of their kids' lice without getting hysterical about it . The ones who are more casual about tolerating lice are davka the Anglo-Israelis who find it too much of a hassle. Of course there are also many Anglos who react in the opposite way. They are the ones who keep the "lice ladies" in business.

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 5:23 pm
Own pillowcases, rosemary oil or mint spray, and lice comb each of your kids thoroughly every day. Even if you ask and she says no, it could be that she doesn't know, since she didn't mention it last time you were there.

Good luck.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 6:47 am
I find the Q offensive, but it may be cultural Wink

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 7:04 am
amother wrote:

I certainly hope this isn't correct. One of my sons got lice once. I went all out to get rid of it IMMEDIATELY. I am very vigilant about this.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 7:10 am
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/brows.....unt=1 and conditioner

Re: question, instead of asking directly, I would just bring it up in a conversation, like, we had several outbreaks in school, so I am extra vigilant, what about you?,etc. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics