Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood
1  2  Next

mrs kugal

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:58 pm
We are extremely interested in relocating to lakewood and getting really serious. I'm feeling as though I only know the place from the outside which is all beautiful and nice but I'm sure there is plenty of **** there too. Please share pros and cons, the good, nice and bad things.
We really want to know more and not just jump in like people tell me to.
Oh and no school talk please. That I know plenty of, now I want all the other info pleeeaaasssseeeed

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:00 pm
Tell us more about you and your husband. Are you hardcore yeshivish? Y-lite, bt, ffb, oot, etc...

mrs kugal

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:04 pm
Open minded chassidish, working....

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:04 pm
One of the "cons" about Lakewood is the oversubscribed school system. There are many women who have been in anguish because they can't find schools for their children.

Search old threads for "Lakewood schools" and you'll see what I mean.

mrs kugal

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:06 pm
I know but now I want to hear about the other things .... Lets say I have some pull and young children only starting school now....

June

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 3:47 am
Depends what you consider garbage and how much of it you can handle.

I am a born and bred Lakewooder, as is my DH. We lived there for almost 2 yrs after we got married, and then we couldn't take it anymore so we left. As trite as it sounds, it's really not the same Lakewood we grew up in (and we're young - I'm 22).

We feel like there is a lot of garbage in Lakewood - such as not enough diversity, lack of integrity, too much emphasis on stupidity. But a lot of people have no problem with this stuff, and the ones that do, deal with it because of the undeniably nice parts of Lakewood living.

mrs kugal

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:30 am
That is what I'm waiting to hear! Something besides for the school issue.
What's the stupidity your talking about? Lack of integrity where??????????
What changed so much?

June

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 11:10 am
You can feel free to PM me... I rather not give specific examples on a public forum; I don't want anyone to take offense at my comments. I realize that Lakewood is a big community, and most individuals are wonderful people. It's the collective attitude and atmosphere that I really dislike.

Also, now that I see where you're coming from, (thanks to the other thread, I understand what "open-minded chassidish" means) a lot of things that bother me may not bother you.

21young

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 11:34 am
I did not grow up in Lakewood, but we moved here as soon as we got married. I guess you can classify me as also open-minded chassidish. We love it here! (We've been here around 3 1/2 years.)
The specific development you live in is a big factor of how much you will like it because all summer and every Shabbos is spent with neighbors. B"h we live in a very warm development with lots of diversity. Of course you will have people that you don't like, as you will find in every community. Overall we find the atmosphere is young and open to growth.
You must drive here. I don't know how people manage without driving.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 11:39 am
just curious I thought that the chassidish people living there mostly learn and don't work...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 11:40 am
And once you start working you go back to where you come from

mrs kugal

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:53 pm
By openminded I mean ultra chassidish belonging to one group but mingling, davening, and schooling with whatever/whoever is ehrlich and frum. Doesn't matter what at or clothes they wear.....

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 11:13 pm
I live in lakewood, (I am not chassidish at all), and have lived here for about 10 years. I doubt there is anywhere on earth that is perfect, and right now I cant think of somewhere I'd rather live- the general atmosphere is friendly, it is spacious, I am comfortable with my children going over to the homes of all of our neighbors in terms of hashkafa etc. in terms of schooling, there are quite a few chassidish schools, I think there is more of a shortage of slots in the litvish schools, so you are probably fine in that sense. there are those in learning, those who are working, and both are considered 'normal' - whats so nice is that many working people maintain their kesher with yeshiva.
when I am back in flatbush/ boro park....my main feeling is that I am REALLY glad to live in lakewood!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:35 pm
[quote="21young"]I did not grow up in Lakewood, but we moved here as soon as we got married. I guess you can classify me as also open-minded chassidish. We love it here! (We've been here around 3 1/2 years.)
The specific development you live in is a big factor of how much you will like it because all summer and every Shabbos is spent with neighbors. B"h we live in a very warm development with lots of diversity. Of course you will have people that you don't like, as you will find in every community. Overall we find the atmosphere is young and open to growth.
You must drive here. I don't know how people manage without driving.[/quote]

[b]I know this thread is old, I am planning to move to lakewood, can you tell me what neighborhood is this type of chasidish, not too fancy and just plain chasidish?

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:53 pm
I would recommend finding someone you know in any of the neighborhoods you're considering, and see if you can get an invitation for Shabbos. Go to shul, go to the ladies' shiur, let your husband meet the men in shul. And go do a little shopping on Sunday and look around.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:04 pm
penguin - it doesnt help bec I cant just come for a shabbis. I have heard that idea. so if you aor anyone chasidish can give info I would really appreciate. is it true that ridge and brookhill is more chasidish? can someone tell me where on the map it is? what streets are those? I would love to buy there if thats what is my type

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:05 pm
penguin - it doesnt help bec I cant just come for a shabbis. I have heard that idea. so if you aor anyone chasidish can give info I would really appreciate. is it true that ridge and brookhill is more chasidish? can someone tell me where on the map it is? what streets are those? I would love to buy there if thats what is my type

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:11 pm
Brookhill is more chassidish - Engelberg Terrace, Arosa Hill, Lucerne Drive are all part of Brookhill - but you can't get houses for $300k there. It's much more expensive.

https://www.google.com/maps/pl.....data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c1818a3c94a233:0xcbd121ee6a7cbf5

summer0808

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:48 pm
Unfortunately, the housing prices in the chassidishe neighborhoods are all high. The houses for $300 if any are in Raintree, Hearthstone all very NOT CHASSIDISHE areas.

Yes, Brookhill and Ridge are chasidish. Brookhill is basically built up. There are constantly houses being built in the Ridge area.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:01 pm
summer0808-do you know of any houses that are ready to move in? I mean either the ridge or brookhill have you heard anyone selling in brookhill?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating