Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you use fresh garlic cloves?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 1:28 pm
Ive only used garlic powder or frozen garlic cubes in the past. Now I want to try using fresh cloves but I dont know how.
I cut off the top and bottom of the thing so I can peel it and then what? Do I put it whole into a soup or chicken? Do I need to crush it? How?

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 1:40 pm
first off - just cut off the bottom - then slice the clove in half - it will pop right out of the skin

cut, dice, crush, press ~ however you like it best ...

you can even it it raw as it's supposed to be healthy

Simple1

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 1:55 pm
Once you peel it, you can use it any way you like. I think crushed will give off more flavor than leaving it whole. If you saute it, watch it carefully so it doesn't get too brown, because than it will be bitter. You can also use it raw- chopped or crushed - in salads.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:05 pm
how do you crush it? do I have to buy a special gadget?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
how do you crush it? do I have to buy a special gadget?
Yes. It's called a garlic press. Fresh garlic is MUCH better tasting than any other type.

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:16 pm
I use crushed fresh garlic (using a press) for lots of things including: soups, cholent, pasta dishes, eggplant parmesan, roasted potatoes, salad dressing, etc.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:28 pm
I put whole cloves in my chicken soup, I mince and saute very often, I crush sometimes....the only problem with my garlic press is that it doesnt crush all the garlic, so im left with most of the outer layer....

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:34 pm
if you have a large knife, you can use the side of the blade to crush the garlic. put the garlic on the chopping board, lay the blade sideways over the garlic, and smack the top side of the blade with your hand. you don't need a garlic press, and I find you have to get a good press for it to work, anyway.

I put them whole in my chicken soup (quite a lot of it). I slice/mince/crush for chicken, sitr fries, veggie dishes, dressing, etc. read some good cookbooks for ideas.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:36 pm
can I crush in a mini food processor with the S blade?

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:47 pm
a mortar & pestle ~ invented before electric

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:

you probably can, but you may need a LOT of garlic in order to crush it properly. otherwise the cloves will bounce around in the empty space. don't fill to capacity, but don't leave too much bounce space. you may also need some oil for it to crush well, but try without first.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:52 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
amother wrote:

you probably can, but you may need a LOT of garlic in order to crush it properly. otherwise the cloves will bounce around in the empty space. don't fill to capacity, but don't leave too much bounce space. you may also need some oil for it to crush well, but try without first.

or add some olive oil - or other ingredients you're already using

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:53 pm
amother ~ what's so top secret about your garlic issue

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:07 pm
I'd use a small knife to either slice or chop finely. You don't really need garlic press.
I normally cut in one direction (but not all the way through) then chop across to get tiny pieces, which I use for sautéing with oil and salt. Make sure they're fried till just golden, lest they burn quickly.

Also the finer the pieces are, the more strong the flavour gets. The mildest form is to wrap the whole head in a foil (after sprinkling a bit of salt, herb or olive oil), and bake it for 45min or so. The inside gets soft and brown, can be spread on bread, chicken , potato etc.

YOu can also drop a few whole skinned cloves in chicken soup, cholent, put in the cavity of roast chicken.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:24 pm
greenfire wrote:
Im just embarrassed that I cant figure out something as simple as this

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:28 pm
How long can the freshly crushed garlic stay in the fridge for? Or does it have to be dome fresh each time I want to use it?

Is the press hard to clean? does the garlic get stuck in all the tiny holes?

imasinger

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:29 pm
There's nothing wrong with publicly stating that you have something more to learn. It's no more scary than ....

learning to cook with fresh garlic!

I almost never use anything but fresh garlic. I usually use a press, and scoop out what doesn't go through with my finger, and toss it in. Soups, stir fries, crushed over roasted veggies, slivered and inserted into large cuts of meat... one of my best loved staples.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Im just embarrassed that I cant figure out something as simple as this

if you don't ask questions - you'll never learn ...

niddah questions - emotional queries & things of similar privacy I comprehend ... I'd respect you more if you weren't embarrassed over such nonsense as cooking ...

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
How long can the freshly crushed garlic stay in the fridge for?

you'd have to put it into oil to preserve it - preferably olive oil

amother wrote:
Or does it have to be dome fresh each time I want to use it?

my preference is to use it fresh from the garlic head/clove

amother wrote:
Is the press hard to clean?

I'm sure if you clean it straight away - it won't be difficult

amother wrote:
does the garlic get stuck in all the tiny holes?

a good garlic press - like OXO - comes with the backside filled with tiny bristles to push everything out [again best if you clean it right away or soak it]

imasinger

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
How long can the freshly crushed garlic stay in the fridge for? Or does it have to be dome fresh each time I want to use it?

Is the press hard to clean? does the garlic get stuck in all the tiny holes?

I take cloves from a bulb and peel and crush them right when I need them.

The press is pretty easy to clean; just run it under hot water. I never need it, but a brush could help with bits stuck in holes, I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen