Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Why does my challah look like this??
1  2  3  Next

psych-student

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 9:38 am

what am I doing wrong? I use two ovens to bake, one's a little hotter than average and one's a little cooler than average and yet ALL of my challahs (and I have tried many many recipes) ALWAYS come out with these huge cracks! I might be being vain since thank G-d they taste amazing but the braids look so stunning before they're baked and so horrible afterward... I know it doesn't matter as much as the taste but it's probably really easy to fix, I just don't know how... here's a before and after:

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 9:48 am
over risen ? over baked ? oven too hot ?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 9:54 am
1. You may be braiding the dough too tightly
2. You may be using too much dough for the size pan and it can't expand properly

I would suggest trying once to bake them without a pan and without braiding them too tightly, and see if that helps.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:04 am
I think the odds are the pan size too.
Meanwhile, b'tayavon. We don't attain perfection in olam hazeh and as far as your family goes, don't share your concerns with them Wink

psych-student

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:17 am
@Tamiri: I've tried without pans many times (I actually prefer the look) but alas they crack as well

@pinkfridge: lol u bet

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:22 am
I have the same issue and was told that when egging the challah, mix in a little warm water with the egg.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:35 am
psych-student wrote:
@Tamiri: I've tried without pans many times (I actually prefer the look) but alas they crack as well

Then, try braiding with a very loose hand. I think I had that "look" in the past. What I imagine happens is that the bread continues to expand after the top crust has set. The pressure of the expanding dough cracks through the crust, and it won't get another crust on the new dough. If you leave more room for hot air to get into the dough, you may find you get better results. Good luck!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:37 am
Tamiri wrote:
psych-student wrote:

Then, try braiding with a very loose hand. I think I had that "look" in the past. What I imagine happens is that the bread continues to expand after the top crust has set. The pressure of the expanding dough cracks through the crust, and it won't get another crust on the new dough. If you leave more room for hot air to get into the dough, you may find you get better results. Good luck!

I agree, that's exactly what I've found to be the case. I try to make a conscious effort to keep the braid loose and then that doesn't happen.

geshmak

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:39 am
I braid mine quite loose and use the "good" pans and without fail, this is what mine look like too.
Enjoy the taste, and don't fret over the look.

nyc123

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 11:41 am
I'm not 100% sure, but it might have something to do with the kneading process. That would explain why it comes out the same way even with different recipes! When the dough is kneaded enough, it develops the gluten and makes it so that the dough is "stretchier" and doesn't break apart as easily when stretched. So it could be that that's why the dough is breaking apart more while it bakes.

This link has some tips for knowing when you can stop kneading, and also has a link to a video to show how to knead properly - http://www.thekitchn.com/bread.....56772

Hope this helps!

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 12:36 pm
you can try making them much smaller so that when they rise there's sufficient room to retain the shapely braid [I'm thinking this could actually work]

alef12

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 12:40 pm
What do you cover the challahs with when they are rising (after braiding)?
Also, how long do you let them rise?
Asking for a reason, might have an idea what's causing this.

Last edited by alef12 on Fri, Oct 04 2013, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

imabima

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 12:48 pm
try egging them midway through baking. The cracks are obvious because the egg browns the original braid but once they expand the egg-free area is much lighter.

the chevrah

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:26 pm
I recently read in the Ami Living about this. Very important to knead the dough long enough, like 8-10 minutes, use a timer. Let rest for 10 minutes then knead for another 4 minutes. This should take care of your broken braids .
Shabbat Shalom

imamiri

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:29 pm
Mine was like that and I tried kneading it longer. No more splitting strands now!

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:30 pm
they look so yummy ~ I think I'm going to make challah now Tongue Out

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:47 pm
So glad to have come across this post!! I have the same problem time and time again regardless of recipe or pan/ no pan. Tastes great but looks weird.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 1:52 pm
they're still gorgeous, I think. you could sell them in brooklyn as "artisan challah" (tm)

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 2:52 pm
I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with them.

they look amazing to me

alte mamme

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 3:02 pm
3 out of 4 of the challos I made today split. I was looking at it trying to figure out what was different about the one that didn't split. It was one batch of dough, kneaded in a bread machine, and all baked at the same time.
I think on the good one, the strands (what do you call each individual part of the braid?) were thicker than the others, and it looked fuller prior to baking. It might have been braided more loosely, but I'm not sure.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads