Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Buying a luxury watch on overstock.com. good idea? bad idea?

oatmealcookies

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 2:43 pm
what are your thoughts or experiences? I want to get dh a certified preowned rolex and theres no way I can shlep to torneaus in the city so I am stuck with ordering online. if anyone has any other suggestions or advice I would be glad to hear.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 2:51 pm
Whatever you do, buy on amex. I bought my dh a watch online and it stopped working a couple of months later. One quick call to amex and the full amount was refunded to my account.

oatmealcookies

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:30 pm
I would def use our amex (altho I kinda feel bad if dh is paying for his own gift lol)

where did you order it from? they wouldnt fix it or give u a refund so u told amex??

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:50 pm
oatmealcookies wrote:
I would def use our amex (altho I kinda feel bad if dh is paying for his own gift lol)

where did you order it from? they wouldnt fix it or give u a refund so u told amex??

I bought from a different site, I forgot which. Amex didn't ask us to try the retailer. They just credited us.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:50 pm
Ashford.com sells luxury watches at pretty good prices! It's owned by frum people, too.

oatmealcookies

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 11:56 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Ashford.com sells luxury watches at pretty good prices! It's owned by frum people, too.

thanks, but telling me they are frum is not a good selling point, I happen to think a lot of these frum businesses unfortunately lack in their customer service area and I just cant deal with it.

I actually checked out their site and didnt see rolexes

Tziril Miriam

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:06 pm
Why do you want a Rolex?

In my community there are 2 problems with Rolexes:

-People think you are wearing a fake. Or that you are a show-off wearing a fake.
-You can get mugged, or your locker at the gym or your home could get broken into.

I don't think there is any advantage to a Rolex.

morah

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:17 pm
I have bought high end watches from overstock. I had mostly good experiences, one bad one where the watch stopped working in a week. They were very good about refunding it and I got a different watch. Turns out, the bad watch was a brand that has a poor reputation. I think we can all agree that rolex has a good one, so I don't see the problem.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:24 pm
Overstock is reputable but as others have posted, I would use a credit card to maximize the warranty.

You could also take it to a good watchmaker when it arrives to see if there are issues.

Whatever floats your boat in terms of optional items. Yes, there are fake watches just as there are fake Chanel bags but that doesn't mean someone wearing an authentic one doesn't get pleasure. Rolex is very classic just like Chanel. I know many men who are very unassuming with their wealth who wear one. There are flashier watches but you can't go wrong with a classic.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:58 pm
Tziril Miriam wrote:
Why do you want a Rolex?

In my community there are 2 problems with Rolexes:

-People think you are wearing a fake. Or that you are a show-off wearing a fake.
-You can get mugged, or your locker at the gym or your home could get broken into.

I don't think there is any advantage to a Rolex.

This thread is over 2 years old -- I hope that OP made her decision by now.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:04 pm
Good catch! I wish there would be a pop-up warning if somebody is trying to post on a dormant thread, saying something to the effect of, "This thread has been inactive for more than x months/years. Do still want to post?" It would avoid this from happening nearly so often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics