Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why did the Lubav. Rebbe tell his Chassidim to stay in CH..?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 2:25 pm
When Crown Heights started to change drastically, in the sixties, why was He the only Rebbe that told His Chassidim to stay put?

I was always curious about that.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 4:31 pm
I heard that the Rebbe told people to remember that we're in Galus, and if we run away, we'll be running all the time. Is that accurate?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 4:24 pm
?Does anyone have an opinion?

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 5:16 pm
When Williamsburg started changing, the belzer rav told his Chassidim to move to Boro Park. Except for a handful, all belzers from CH moved to BP too. Today, the community here is huge. I’m sure if the Lub. Rebbe would be alive today, he would ask his Chassidim to do what is right for today. In the meantime, you should continue to build on what you have, the shul, the schools etc…. and be nice to your neighbors!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 8:41 pm
The Rebbe bases his plea for Jews (note, not only his chassidim) to stay in CH, on the Shulchan Aruch which explicitly rules that it is forbidden to sell property to "Akum" - or non jews who could cause harm to the neighboring Jews whether that is bodily or takes the form of damage to their property. although there are those Jews who could relocate, the ones who stand be affected most from urban flight of this type are the "orphan, widow, stranger (Ger), and poor elderly, the most poverty stricken sectors of our people, for whom it would be difficult or impossible to make this move/change.

This is in fact was and is the case, that the Jews who are abandoned by their fleeing neighbors suffer from it. Their property value going down is yet another way that this affects other jews, and it's forbidden to do this.

The laws of Torah, Shulchan Aruch are timeless, and it all applies as much today as ever.

if I get a chance I'll look up the sichos in which the Rebbe adressed tis issue.

healthymama

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:09 pm
Quote:
Their property value going down is yet another way that this affects other jews, and it's forbidden to do this

As far as I know, it is difficult to buy a house in the main areas of CH for under 500K. How have property values decreased since the sixties ?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:18 pm
healthymama wrote:
Quote:
Their property value going down is yet another way that this affects other jews, and it's forbidden to do this

As far as I know, it is difficult to buy a house in the main areas of CH for under 500K. How have property values decreased since the sixties ?
You can't get even a bungalow in BP or Midwood for that money!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:39 pm
in the sixties,property values went all the way down. People sold their homes to non jews for 7'000 Exclamation , the same ones that are now costingover 600,000. But the brocho that the Rebbe told us is in the Shechuna came to those who had the emunah in the Rebbe's words, and property values DID go up eventually, after the Chassidim stayed with mesiras nefesh, and invested as the Rebbe told them to.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:42 pm
HealthyMama, there are many brand new apts for less than that price.

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:58 pm
in BP you can get a 3 BR apt for $650,000 ! not more, basically, a trailor.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:01 am
We have more than a dozen new buildings going up. None of these apts are going to go for more than $500,000, I'm sure.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:05 am
there are dif price apt & houses in every neighborhood ... but in general in the 60 & 70 things went down ... in the 80 they started building upwards ... so things turned around ...

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:54 am
back then you could get houses, now you're paying $$$ for apartments. hard to stomach for us people who grew up in the 'burbs. one of the major culture shocks of living here.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:04 pm
That's just how it is here. the city is not surburbia.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:40 pm
true but I don't have to like it. Oh well! Smile on further reflection however, Hashem hs been exceedingly kind to me by having me live here. I've received being in a helig place and a husband and children. Would I have met my husband had I moved back to the 'burbs? I really should be thankful for what Hashem has given me. It's a but chutpzniak to then ask for beautiful gashmiusdik things too.

Last edited by bashinda on Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:44 pm
yeah but unless you grew up in city ... it is hard for people ... it was that way for my ex which is why we moved away from NY ... I personally didn't realize how hectic and insane it was there till I moved away ...

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:50 pm
bashinda, I'm with you all the way on that one! Thumbs Up

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:07 pm
greenfire: it's totally hard. Cleveland is a big city but it felt like a small town compared to NYC when I visited! It's totally hard. I still have feelings of thinking maybe I should move out of town. I'm accepting it. Until Moshiach comes IY"H NOW! there's just not going to be everything perfect and I shouldn't accept it. If you've got great gashmius it's more challenging for the ruchniyus and vise versa unless you're in Eretz Yisroel but then you pay the price for living there with the terrorist attacks. (I'd say it's worth it but DH doesn't want to move to EY)

also the truth is I have to work on making this a great place for me no matter where I live.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:23 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We have more than a dozen new buildings going up. None of these apts are going to go for more than $500,000, I'm sure.
A bargain! With zero income- no rentals, both parents (unless fabulously wealthy) get to live in this trailer and work their tails off to pay the mortgage. A Bruch!

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:37 pm
bashinda wrote:
greenfire: it's totally hard. Cleveland is a big city but it felt like a small town compared to NYC when I visited! It's totally hard. I still have feelings of thinking maybe I should move out of town. I'm accepting it. Until Moshiach comes IY"H NOW! there's just not going to be everything perfect and I shouldn't accept it. If you've got great gashmius it's more challenging for the ruchniyus and vise versa unless you're in Eretz Yisroel but then you pay the price for living there with the terrorist attacks. (I'd say it's worth it but DH doesn't want to move to EY)

also the truth is I have to work on making this a great place for me no matter where I live.

I didn't say my gashmius is better ... just the hectic levels... the blood pressure ... my dd calls this the hood too ... it's all in ones perspective ... come to cleveland ... we'll learn chassidus together ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics