Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
ISO interior design help for maximizing tiny space
Previous  1  2

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:41 am
seeker wrote:
Even from IKEA, a full makeover would cost somewhere around $2000 - like I said, way worth it if we'd done it a couple of years ago when we really should have, but not sure it pays when we'll anyway outgrow our space imminently even with the best arrangements. Maybe it does. hard to say. One thing I've learned about IKEA furniture is that it doesn't travel very well, but then again I guess you save on some moving expenses that way too Tongue Out

That's a decision that only you are able to make.

Unless I already had specific plans of when and where I was moving, I would want to have piece of mind that my home is organized properly. Still, there are many people who would feel differently.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 6:49 am
I do space planning professionally, but unless you're in Baltimore I'd need a floor plan and more info to work with you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 8:38 am
I know this doesn't help you practically, but I envision a drop down bassinet thing like a baby changing table in a public bathroom. That would so help (well, except for the fact that your toddler is way too old for such a contraption!), I mean wouldn't that be cool?! (Sorry I have no real advice, I'm usually good with creative organizational tips but I think you've exhausted all your real possibilities for sleeping space...maybe a hammock for your 4 yo? LOL

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:04 am
maybe try to draw up a basic floor plan in paint or something? ive done that before.

my dh is the king of finding ways to get the most for our space- however I dont agree to many of his ideas cause they dont look nice and b"h we are not THAT cramped for space (have 1 more room then you do plus very decent closet space)

possible ideas: a trundle bed? a murphy table (like a murphy bed- just a table)? one of those tables with drop down sides that you can open and pull out easily when needed, but only takes up half the space against a wall when not. bed risers for under bed storage? We actually just put those stackable plastic drawers under beds (well not stacked up) and can prob get rid of one dresser now. What about a curtain hanging from the wall that you can keep open at day and closed at night? hang hooks across from each other and maybe one on the ceiling for sag and then you can section off that par for the kids? We did that for a corner where our computer is in our kids room/playroom so it could be used once they were sleeping.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:46 am
A gallery bed is a great space-saving idea. It's like just the top of a bunk-bed but higher so you get use of all the floor space underneath, for storage or playing or whatever.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 9:47 am
ra_mom wrote:
If the kitchen cabinets/counters are all along one wall you can install a fold away breakfast table shelf along the other wall and add some stools.
I have seen toddler size bunk beds which can accomidate both children.

Have you thought of toddler bunk beds? Your oldest is big enough to be in the top bunk (which is not too high up and has a railing) and your younger one can be in the bottom bunk.

Something like this: http://mostlybeds.blogspot.com......html (though the website seems to be outdated and I don't know if they accept orders anymore) or this: http://ana-white.com/2011/05/t.....-beds (this is a "make it yourself" plan but you might be able to hire someone to do it for you? if necessary).

My guess is that you can make back the amount that you'd spend on toddler bunk beds in the rent that you'd save from not moving into a bigger apartment, in about 2-3 months. And that is assuming that you'd be able to find a bigger apartment.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics