Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Rice cooker recommendation
1  2  Next

preempservices

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 9:28 am
I am planning to buy a rice cooker - I usually serve 5 people at a meal, but would like to have the capacity for more. Based on the reviews on Amazon, I'm considering this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....X0DER
Bit would also consider a stainless insert. Price point preferably below $50. Any recommendations appreciated (110V)
TIA

bluebird

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 9:40 am
I cannot comment on that particular one, but I recommend checking out the Zojirushi models. They make excellent products and have a reputation for being the "gold standard" of rice cookers. Also, consider getting one with a steamer insert.

I can't give opinions on using stainless steel. One of the things I like about my teflon-coated insert is that it gets the bottom of the batch nice and crispy. Not for everyone, but it's considered a delicacy and I like it. I don't know if stainless with do that.

I love mine! I have this one, and it's never done me wrong: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9WYBW. I haven't made bread in it, I think that's kind of gimmicky but it might be interesting to try out.

Never put the insert in the dishwasher, BTW, as I believe that starts the teflon flaking off that you'll see reviewers complain about on every rice cooker.

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 9:41 am
preempservices wrote:
I am planning to buy a rice cooker - I usually serve 5 people at a meal, but would like to have the capacity for more. Based on the reviews on Amazon, I'm considering this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....X0DER
Bit would also consider a stainless insert. Price point preferably below $50. Any recommendations appreciated (110V)
TIA

I have the smaller version of this one. Its very, very basic. You're not going to get it to do all of the very cool things a very high end rice cooker will do. That said, we love it to pieces. I dump in rice and water in the morning, set it to cook about an hour before I get home, and come home to rice. Then all I have to do is throw together a fast protein and heat up a veggie.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 11:40 am
$50 doesn't buy a Zo, that's the price for a large simple steamer for white rice. No timer and no brown rice feature either.

Go to Target or Century and get something. It won't last forever and then you can see how you like using a steamer.

bluebird

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
$50 doesn't buy a Zo, that's the price for a large simple steamer for white rice.

Whoops, I missed that part. Sorry!

scrltfr

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:32 pm
The cuisinart 4 cup is terrible sent it back three times for a new one until I gave up.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:50 pm
I got a programmable Panasonic on ebay a few years ago. A 3 cup. It wasn't $50 then though. Maybe they've come down in price since then.

jkw

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 2:08 pm
We spent a little more and bought this one six years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush.....DKKVK

We use it every day to make steel cut oats for breakfast (set it up the night before to soak),. It also makes wonderful lentils and barley for salads!

Picked this one because it makes wonderful brown basmati rice and a little crust. Also really like the teflon put

I know this isn't your price point but maybe you can find a deal!

jkw

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 2:08 pm
We spent a little more and bought this one six years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush.....DKKVK

We use it every day to make steel cut oats for breakfast (set it up the night before to soak),. It also makes wonderful lentils and barley for salads!

Picked this one because it makes wonderful brown basmati rice and a little crust. Also really like the teflon put

I know this isn't your price point but maybe you can find a deal!

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 7:17 am
anybody ever hear of a pot ... boil water same ratio of rice to water + 1/2 cup extra water ... salt & drop of oil ... add rice, stir, cover, simmer 20 minutes ~ voila !!!

for brown rice add + 1 cup water & cook a little longer

bluebird

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:02 am
Greenfire, I found your post condescending even if you meant it in jest. sure the ladies here know how to cook rice.

What a rice cooker gives you is convenience. The higj-end ones use "fuzzy logic" to sense when the rice is done instead of relying on a timer, meaning rice isn't burned. You don't have to watch it, freeing you up to do other things and to have one less pot on the stove. You can put in rice and water in the morning and find it ready and perfect when you get home. It wi also keep your rice at a safe temperature for 48 hours so you can make a double batch and have it again the next day.

You can also use it for other foods.

There's a reason that most modern Japanese and Korean homes have rice cookers. They're awesome!

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:14 am
bluebird wrote:
Greenfire, I found your post condescending even if you meant it in jest. sure the ladies here know how to cook rice.

I gave instructions on how to cook rice without spending loads of money on a gadget ... nothing but my opinion as I'm allowed to give & not in jest & certainly not condescending [unless you wanna be paranoid & take it that way Confused ]

bluebird wrote:
What a rice cooker gives you is convenience. The higj-end ones use "fuzzy logic" to sense when the rice is done instead of relying on a timer, meaning rice isn't burned. You don't have to watch it, freeing you up to do other things and to have one less pot on the stove. You can put in rice and water in the morning and find it ready and perfect when you get home. It wi also keep your rice at a safe temperature for 48 hours so you can make a double batch and have it again the next day.

thanx for explaining - I guess people have different needs

bluebird wrote:
There's a reason that most modern Japanese and Korean homes have rice cookers. They're awesome!

konichiwa

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:18 am
greenfire wrote:
anybody ever hear of a pot ... boil water same ratio of rice to water + 1/2 cup extra water ... salt & drop of oil ... add rice, stir, cover, simmer 20 minutes ~ voila !!!

Spoken like a woman who either doesn't work outside the home, or who gets home well before dinner time.

I almost never get home before 8 pm, and the time saving from a rice cooker are very valuable to me.

And by the way, you're cooking brown rice wrong. You need to let it sit AT LEAST 10 minutes after simmering.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:25 am
Barbara wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Spoken like a woman who either doesn't work outside the home, or who gets home well before dinner time.

I almost never get home before 8 pm, and the time saving from a rice cooker are very valuable to me.

And by the way, you're cooking brown rice wrong. You need to let it sit AT LEAST 10 minutes after simmering.

or spoken like a person who knows how to cook rice Idea

my brown rice seems to be happy enough ...

nylon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 5:44 am
I have the 10 cup Zojirushi and love it, but it's a much higher price point. (BTW rice cooker "cups" are 3/4 of a US cup). It was worth the extra, though, because it's fuzzy logic and has the cycles for all types of rice--white, mixed, brown, porridge cycle etc. The only thing mine does not have is the steamer basket to cook vegetables on top of the rice but Zo makes models that do. Mine is this one (the 1.8L one, ZCC-18, the link has the 5.5 cup in the URL: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirush.....ooker)

It does a better job than a pot on the stove, too. Not just convenience. The Japanese invented the rice cooker for themselves, not Westerners, and Asians all use them.

The only thing mine will not do is Iranian rice with tahdig, because it's designed to shut off as soon as it detects a certain temperature and will not let the rice brown. I can fiddle with it to make it start browning, but not get it really crispy.

preempservices

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:18 am
chocolate moose wrote:
$50 doesn't buy a Zo, that's the price for a large simple steamer for white rice. No timer and no brown rice feature either.

Go to Target or Century and get something. It won't last forever and then you can see how you like using a steamer.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond as that is most convenient for me and I had a coupon. The one I bought is poorly rated, but I know I can return. I hope to post again once I toivel and try out with a few different kinds of rice/grains. If it works well, I may go back to steel cut outs for breakfast instead of the reg ones I am eating now.

I am quite capable of cooking rice, etc. but found it wasn't happening often enough - yes I work outside the home. B"H I can try a $16 experiment. Also DD 14 yrs old wanted one to make sushi rice without sitting over it.

Leahh

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:15 pm
Op, how is your rice cooker? I am looking to buy a decent but cheap one. I don't need anything fancy. Just to cook plain white rice but must have a timer so I can prepare it in the am to be ready when I get home.
Any other recommendations?
TIA

preempservices

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:02 am
I am OP. I bought and have used the inexpensive rice cooker below:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....tpr=1
It would not serve your purpose as it does not have a timer - when it is done cooking it switches to keep warm. Otherwise it works well.
I would restate Chocolate Moose's advice - buy the cheapest one with the feature you need - delayed start perhaps?

baba

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:02 pm
I have one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Go.....ooker

IT'S THE BEST!!!

I know it says pressure cooker, but it's not. At least that's not how I use it. I use it as a steamer. Put in rice, double amount of water and put it in the microwave for 10-15 min and you have perfect rice, never burns. You can also add spices. What's more I use it to steam vegetables. Again, only takes about 5-7 min and you can put so many things in it like broccoli, potatoes, peas, corn, artichoke, etc. It's endless. One could also use it for fish.
Perfect low cost steamer, for anything you want. I use it almost every day and several times erev shabbes.

No, I do not sell these, they're just so amazing!

Leahh

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:25 pm
Thanks
I found the Aroma 10c for $35. It has good reviews so will give it a try
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars