Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The Amazing Rabbis Singing Simon and Garfunkel!
Previous  1  2

marshmellow

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 4:55 pm
Love it! but what are they doing on the programme?!

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 4:56 pm
marshmellow wrote:
Love it! but what are they doing on the programme?!

Singing.

rowo

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 10:17 pm
I just wanted to say that the voting and the screen going up is such a nice twist on the usual .....'s got talent. It's sometimes almost painful to watch people get voted and booed off the stags. This getting voted on, rather than booed off is so nice!!

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:13 pm
OK, so these guys--who really sound astonishingly, eerily like Paul and Art, so that for a bit I thought they were lipsynching--are they in fact rabbis and charedi, or is that just their gimmick? And if they are in fact rabbis and/or charedi, what are they doing batteling on a secular TV show singing secular songs? And if they're not, what do charedi people think of secular entertainers dressing up as charedim to do something that is very uncharedi?

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 1:49 am
zaq wrote:
OK, so these guys--who really sound astonishingly, eerily like Paul and Art, so that for a bit I thought they were lipsynching--are they in fact rabbis and charedi, or is that just their gimmick? And if they are in fact rabbis and/or charedi, what are they doing batteling on a secular TV show singing secular songs? And if they're not, what do charedi people think of secular entertainers dressing up as charedim to do something that is very uncharedi?

I saw on youtube that they also set up in the street in Yerushalayim and do little free street concerts. Listen again - they have a little of the yiddush accent (when they say vision the "vish" sounds like "vishnutz". I don't think it's a gimmick but I assume they're original American (Yiddush accent not Israeli). They're brothers and very gifted so maybe they grew up with all sorts of songs and, face it, no Jewish songs can compete with Simon and Garfunkle.

Is it batteling? A lot of men who sit in Yeshiva all day aren't really learning all day. With all good intents not every person is cut out to sit and learn all day (maybe they have ADHD and singing is their outlet).

You can call it a secular TV show but most dati people who aren't Charedi do watch TV and this is a nice song talent show (no problem having my kids watch this). Anyway, I think it's a positive thing for them to be on this show with all the "dislike" between Chilonim and Charedim I think it gives a chance for Chilonim to see something they like in a Charedi. (like the Olympics join countries together in a non-political event). These guys would be great working for Chabad - they can get all these teens at their concerts and slowly give them the Dati push

And besides, they probably figure that no Chareidim would see this (or admit to seeing it) and find out what they did Very Happy

chanchy123

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 3:12 am
They are BT and from their dress, they are probably Breslov, in Israel at least many Breslov people are very involved in secular society and culture.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 8:18 am
zaq wrote:

they do not sound eerily like paul and art, zaq. the accents are so different. they're singing the same notes, quite well, but not like the original.

signed,

mummiedearest the music snob

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 9:58 am
chanchy123 wrote:
They are BT and from their dress, they are probably Breslov, in Israel at least many Breslov people are very involved in secular society and culture.

BT - I should have thought of that. They know all the songs. They can keep Shabbat. They can keep Kosher. But these talented musicians/singers can't give up the music they love (they don't have to)

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 10:46 am
"the words of the profits are written on the subway walls ..." Music

definitely enjoyable listening ~ however, the question is how much credit does one get for being perfect copycats ... or is being unique more of a winning performance ?

Miri1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 10:49 am
With names like Gil and Tal Gat, these guys are Israeli, not American Breslavers as mentioned above.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:12 am
Miri1 wrote:
With names like Gil and Tal Gat, these guys are Israeli, not American Breslavers as mentioned above.

It's Aryeh and Gil - they can be Israeli but with American parents but they also sing Beatles, Pink Floyd so that's a lot of American songs for an Israeli kid. They're Breslev (I keep googling them for more info)

Miri1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:22 am
Sanguine wrote:
Miri1 wrote:

It's Aryeh and Gil - they can be Israeli but with American parents but they also sing Beatles, Pink Floyd so that's a lot of American songs for an Israeli kid. They're Breslev (I keep googling them for more info)

Yes Aryeh, my mistake.
But Gat would be highly unusual for an American last name.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:34 am
Miri1 wrote:
But Gat would be highly unusual for an American last name.

They probably Hebrecized it. Was probably Weinstein (a Gat is a winepress)

If we don't find an interview with them somewhere I'm going to end up making up their lifestory

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:48 am
found the interview form their try outs for the show. They're from Eilat BT 16 years. they each have 6 kids (or maybe one does, they didn't really want to answer questions). Didn't mention America. They sang all these songs in Eilat before they were BT

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 1:49 pm
zaq wrote:
Not every charedi person is the same or conforms to the box. Nough said.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 7:12 am
I don't watch Israeli TV ... how are they doing? Are they still in the competition?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 8:05 am
For this I'm going to override K9 sometime. I saw this awesome clip of them singing Oseh Shalom with a third person - has anyone posted that here?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics