Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent recipe needed

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 5:57 am
Anyone know how to make a good cholent with pareve kishke? My hubby loves my cholent but I am sick of the same cholent every week!!

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 8:52 am
This is the way I make my cholent

Fry onions with a little bit of paprika. add barley ( beans if wanted) and meat ( if you want it pareve dont add.) and enough water to boil in. once it reaches a boiling point let simmer fro half an hour, constintly check to see if you need more water. then add patatoes and more water and spices I don't measure,: kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, ketchup and chicken soup mix. and let boil then simmer for half and hour constintly watching to make sure there is enough water. I don't make kishke, my hubby used to buy pareve one from the bakery, I would wrap it up in tinfoil and add it to the cholent once it is in the crocpot.

hope I was helpful.

Tila

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 11:02 am
I use the oddest thins in my cholent!! I do the basics, flanken, a can of mixed beans, barley, huge chunks of carrots and poatoes. I sometimes go to the deli and ask for the end piece of smoked meat and add that too.
I mix this all up, put it in the crock pot. Then in a LARGE bowl I put a pkg of onion soup mix, 1/2 cup fo apricot jam, steak sauce, some soya sauce, if I have jars that need empting ie: taco sauce, plum sauce, salsa I add that too. Then I pout in coke (not diet). Not alot, maybe a cup or more. Wisk with a fork and puor into the crock pot. if needed add more coke. I but pareve cholent at the super market in the freezer section. Good luck!

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 5:03 pm
Yep throw everything in ... well almost and the men for sure will love it..... talking from experiance Very Happy

sarahd

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 6:08 pm
Here's my chulent recipe - takes no more than 10 minutes to prepare. Saute onions in some oil, then add your meat (cut in large-bite-size chunks) and brown the meat. Add barley and saute a bit longer, add beans (navy, kidney and pinto beans, no lima beans) and potatoes cut in small chunks. Pour in water to cover generously. Add salt, pepper, paprika for color and a generous squeeze of ketchup. That's it!

I can't give a kishka recipe because I make mine with chicken shmaltz and vegetables from the soup, so it's not pareve. Actually, my kishka ain't the greatest, so we usually buy pareve kishke when we're in NY and try to make it last till our next trip. Smilowitz makes the best pareve kishka we've ever tasted!

Sunshine

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 9:14 pm
I put in my chullent meat, potatoes, onions, beans(pinto, kidney and navy)tomatoe sauce, oil and spices(salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika). I have a really good & easy parev kishke from the Spice and Spirit. Everyone eats the chullent because they love the kishke! This is great and I never have any left!
Vegetable kishke:
1/2 cup oil
2 Stalks celery
2 carrots
1 onion
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp paprika
pepper to taste
Put oil, carrots, celery and onion in blender and blend until a thick paste is formed. Empty into bowl. Add flour and seasonings, and mix well. Shape into roll on a large piece of greased aluminum foil. Roll tightly in foil. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour. Put the kishke wrapped in foil on top of food in cholent pot just before Shabbos. Leave it inside until cholent is served.
Variation: Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350. Slice and serve as a side dish.
You can make many batches of this and divide it into seperate rolls. Then bake it for 1/2 hour and freeze whatever you want for another week. This freezes very well!

micki

Post Thu, Nov 25 2004, 10:12 pm
try it with chicken rice a green pepper salt rosemary and thyme.
and potatos and beans. water ,salt .

supermom

Post Sat, Nov 27 2004, 2:39 pm
yup strange indeed tila you made me crack up. I am afraid that if I do it this way my kids will not eat it.
Thanks sunshine the kiske recipe you gave me came out delicious everyone was crazy over it.

gryp

Post Sat, Nov 27 2004, 9:45 pm
I made the kishke too! it was my third time trying, and I had already given up on that recipe. but it came out great, and iy"h, now every erev shabbos, its on my "to-do" list.

rydys

Post Sat, Nov 27 2004, 9:51 pm
for all of you aussies--try adding ETA barbeque sauce!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus