Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
West Hempstead Info
1  2  Next

basement

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 10:41 am
Anyone out there have anything to share about West Hempstead? I've been hearing it mentioned a few times recently as a good place for young families. Are they starting an Agudah there- thought I saw something like that in one of the papers a while ago. What's this place all about? TIA

basement

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 4:32 pm
Bump- please!

granolamom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 5:15 pm
all I can say is that I have a number of friends there. and my kids have some good friends there too. pretty much all the people we know in west hempstead are just really nice Smile

basement

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 5:45 pm
Thanks for the reply! As much as I don't like doing so, can you give me some more detail about "type"?

happyme7

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 6:40 pm
West hempstead has always been a more modern orthodox community but it attracts a wholesome crowd. Recently, there is a "frummer" crowd, I.e. hair covering, learning, sending to separate schools. But even the more "modern" crowd is a very nice group of people (not flashy, showy...)
In the last few months, a slightly yeshivish group has moved in, hoping to form an Agudah, though as far as I know, there is neither a rabbi nor a location as of yet.
The main rabbi of the community, Rabbi Kelemer, is supposed to be a huge talmid chacham, as well as a very generous, fine, and caring rabbi. There are also other rabbis of smaller shuls.
The location of WH is very good because you have your pick of schools in Long Island and Queens.

basement

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 7:28 pm
Really appreciate the post! Any info on the amenities- Mikva, shopping, housing?

perquacky

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 7:37 pm
We've been in WH for 10+ years and really like it. Great mix of very non-judgmental people. Good choice of shuls. Nice, relatively new mikvah. We have a kosher supermarket--not large, but they recently expanded into the store next door, so they can now offer more. (For big food shopping sprees, we still go to Queens, but in a pinch, I&D in WH will do nicely.)
The local Stop & Shop carries some kosher meat, and so does the Costco 15 minutes away. Two pizza stores, two bagel stores, one Chinese restaurant.
I've seen several houses on the market recently. All different sizes and different prices. Seems like new people are moving in every week.

basement

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 8:05 pm
Thanks so much- wh ppl really must be nice if you're any indication! Do you have any more info about the possible Agudah that an earlier poster referred to?

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 10:37 pm
happyme7 wrote:
West hempstead has always been a more modern orthodox community but it attracts a wholesome crowd. Recently, there is a "frummer" crowd, I.e. hair covering, learning, sending to separate schools. But even the more "modern" crowd is a very nice group of people (not flashy, showy...)
In the last few months, a slightly yeshivish group has moved in, hoping to form an Agudah, though as far as I know, there is neither a rabbi nor a location as of yet.
The main rabbi of the community, Rabbi Kelemer, is supposed to be a huge talmid chacham, as well as a very generous, fine, and caring rabbi. There are also other rabbis of smaller shuls.
The location of WH is very good because you have your pick of schools in Long Island and Queens.

Wow, modern ...BUT wholesome!
*Even* the modern crowd is not flashy.

Is there some reason you think modern orthodox Jews are flashy and unwholesome by default?

I'm hoping something got lost in the translation...

basement

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:21 am
Bumping this up- would love anyone else's input! Especially about the newer yeshivish crowd and Agudah shul. Thanks!

granolamom

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:27 am
DrMom wrote:
happyme7 wrote:

Wow, modern ...BUT wholesome!
*Even* the modern crowd is not flashy.

Is there some reason you think modern orthodox Jews are flashy and unwholesome by default?

I'm hoping something got lost in the translation...

OK, I'm going to open my mouth even though I'm sure I will end up putting my foot in it.
for reference, I guess you would call me MO and I think I am wholesome too Smile

I *think* that when people talk about WH it often gets compared to the five towns. and I think that often times when people talk about the MO crowd in the five towns, the flashy crowd often comes to mind. so when I read this, I felt like what happyme7 was saying was that the crowd is largely MO but unlike what you might have heard about some of the MO flashy types nearby, WH attracts a wholesome MO crowd.

I did not feel as though she meant that most MO are not wholesome, nor that most five towns people are not wholesome types.

artz

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:46 am
My dh has cousins who live in west Hempstead. we have been there often for shabbasim/ simchos the ppl there are very nice it is a little more out of townish. they are in the process of starting the agudah they actually had minyanim for rosh hashana and sukkos but im not sure they went further they are currently looking for a rav and place to daven if you want more info pm

happyme7

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 12:35 pm
Thanks granolamom for your defense and dlkz
I see how my words could have unwittingly offended.
I guess the missing word here is "also"-
MO and Also wholesome
"Frummier" and Also wholesome
Yeshivish and Also wholesome
For some reason WH seems to attract wholesome people across the spectrum, and I was attempting to compliment that neighborhood.
I was actually not trying to be malshin any community.

basement

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 6:19 pm
Thanks for the additional info, artz. And I'm so happy that the "wholesome"/ modern misunderstanding was resolved so respectfully!

nyer1

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:07 am
pulling up this older thread. any updates on the agudah? the low cost of housing is QUITE attractive

artz

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:58 am
they are actually opening a more yeshivish sefard minyan this Shabbos the rav does not want to call it agudah now but it is supposed to resemble an agudah

perquacky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:59 am
Really? I live in WH and hadn't heard this. Do you know where it will be located?

artz

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:38 am
perquacky wrote:
Really? I live in WH and hadn't heard this. Do you know where it will be located?

you can pm me ill give you the info

nyer1

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:18 pm
R there any right wing shuls that Daven ashkenaz

perquacky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:36 pm
We have many Ashkenazi minyanim at the various shuls around town and two Chabad minyanim. Some men wear hats to daven. Some men wear kippot srugot. Some women wear sheitels. Some women wear the tiniest hats they can find. We all daven together, the so-called right-wingers and left-wingers. After all, isn't davening pretty much the same wherever you go?
See, that's the nice thing about WH. We don't judge.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics