Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going to country for the summer

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:54 am
Most of my friends and family are going to the country for the summer. The job that I have is year-round and does not have off during July/August. Is anyone else in this situation? I would love to go to the country but can't because of work.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:56 am
so dont go LOL

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 1:05 am
Thanks for the advice. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this. I have a lot of pressure from friends/family to go. Also, I find that a lot of conversations center around the country and I end up feeling left out.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 1:28 am
HappyHome wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this. I have a lot of pressure from friends/family to go. Also, I find that a lot of conversations center around the country and I end up feeling left out.

please dont feel left out-most of whats going on there is loshon-hora jealousy etc-bad things!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 7:29 am
Personally, even if I had off I wouldn't go. I know many of you will say it is good for the kids to be in fresh air, yadda yadda yadda. I don't like the country. I don't like the attitudes of many of the people that go there. No offense to any of you that go. I do plenty with my kids in the city, and I can actually find parking in flatbush and BP.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:01 am
I actually lived a couple of years in the country year round - but away from all that bungalow "stuff" - so I rather love it - making campfires, seeing the stars ... smelling the fresh air ... catching frogs and salamanders ... getting lost in the woods ...

happyone

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:25 am
That sounds like fun Green, what did you do about schools??

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:27 am
Some families come for weekends only if they really can't come for the whole week and really want to be in the country. I know people who come up thursday night to either late sunday night or early monday morning with kids. shock

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:30 am
This summer you will have an opportunity to expand your circle of friends and meet others that stay in the city for the summer.

Growing up, the women & children woudl go to the country and the men would work in the city and come for Shabbos. I missed seeing my Tatte & Zaide. My husband's father was a teacher and the entire family went on vacation for the summer. However DH's job is year round and I don't want to seperate the family, so we stay together.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 8:33 am
happyone wrote:
That sounds like fun Green, what did you do about schools??

There was a school in Kiamesha Lake - Hebrew Day School ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:29 am
sure some ppl go - and who says the mothers really love it?

anyway I always owrked and did not go - and did not miss the traffic, etc., but my kids went to day camp which was nice for them, and then overnight at some point.

you can't have everything....unless you want to take your vacation then, and go up for a week or two?

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:02 am
I love my bungalow! It’s got 2 nice bathrooms, central air conditioning and really nice kitchen. It’s also the place we live in all year round so it doesn’t cost us an extra cent to stay there in the summer!

Seriously, you can’t top the day camps in the city and we try to go out for 1 shabbos each summer, and Sundays we just go all the way out (bar-b-q, bicycle riding, apple picking!)

bashinda

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:31 am
Who says it has to be an all or nothing thing?

1) if you can borrow or share a bungalow go on maybe a few weekends. See if your boss can let you take off Friday that weekend and go up thursday night go home sunday night. Trafficky but you'll be in the country

2) take a week off and go to a hotel or something like that

green: that sounds like fun. I miss hiking.

I don't go to the country because it's expensive and I can't see putting such aburdon on DH. The kids would love to get out of the city but the whole bungalow life doesn't sound fun to me. I'd like to maybe go for one week somewhere though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics