Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
BDE- Mrs. Shoshana Stein
1  2  3  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:39 am
I am saddened to share the news of the passing of Mrs. Shoshana Stein, former Hebrew principal of Bais Yaakov of Brooklyn.
She was a very special, incredible person. May she be a meiletz yosher for all of us. May she daven for us from her place close to The Throne.

If anyone has special memories of her, please share.

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 11:46 am
She was a special woman. I am saddened to hear. Crying I really looked up to her.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:12 pm
Boruch Dayan Emes. I knew her too, and yes, she was truly a righteous woman, with noble midos. Sad

faigie

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 1:07 pm
what happened?????
she really kept that school together.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 1:25 pm
BDE.
I do not think she is/was still the principal. but yes, I remember as a student, how special she was and she always had this unbelievable love for torah, mitzvos and yiddishkeit, which she gave over to us so beautifully.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 1:31 pm
she was my principal too. what anamzing woman. I was areal challenge of a student, always outsmarting the teachers and being fresh but she channeled my energy and brains.
I have so many memories of her. she loved us and when she punished us, she loved us more.
BDE, what a loss!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 2:42 pm
Mrs. Stein a'h was an extraordinary woman.

I was her student long before she became a principal. She was my sixth grade teacher and I did not appreciate her for the special woman she was, when she was my teacher. It was when I met up with her years later that I saw how special she was.

Among many other things, she taught us parshiyos Teruma and Tetzaveh - the Mishkan and the Begadim. We learned it THOROUGHLY. We MADE the mishkan, etc. Used miles of silver foil for the silver parts, colored with a gold marker for the gold, etc. We went up to the board on which she drew an outline of the Menorah and put the buttons, flowers, and cups where they belonged. She taught us some songs, one of them was for the stones of the Choshen.

Years later she told me she spent the summer preparing how to teach this and figuring out how to make all these things.

She was a yirei shomaym, a self-made woman. I don't know where she went to school but I know she learned a lot on her own. Someone today told me that her Shabbos davening was like a Yom Kippur davening.

She was so refined, so aidel, modest, so warm (though as my teacher she seemed so tough). She was a teacher of the old school. As a principal, she told me how she was working with a little girl who had trouble reading. She didn't seem very interested in professional evaluations. She herself carefully observed the child, saw what her problem was in reading, and helped her overcome it.

I remember her daughter Liba, also very special.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 2:49 pm
thank you, amother, for sharing those warm memories. I'm glad to see others here also knew what a special woman she was.
I believe she wasn't principal of BYOB for a few years. I heard she was involved with BY of Bensonhurst, but I don't know what she was up to recently.
I have some fairly recent pictures of her on my blog: gishmak.livejournal.com -- taken last June at my friend's wedding. You can just see how happy she was to share in a student's simcha.

sister

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 5:27 pm
She was my principal also, she was such a special woman. She was the talmidah of a woman who was the talmidah of sarah schneirer. This morning I was talking to my freind and we were both remembering the way she said hallel, with so much kavanah. Also, my freind told me that during in the begining of tenth grade a mutual freind of ours did not have a school to go to, Mrs Stein took her herself down to a Bais Yacov and vouched for her, the school acceptted this girl and she did wonderfully there. May her neshamah have an aliyah. I am sure that Sarah Schneirer will personally greet her. She has talmidos everywhere who are who they are because of her, women devoted to living lives filled with Torah.

sister

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 5:29 pm
Has anyone gone to the Levaya?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 7:12 pm
I wonder if I know any of you from school....! What years did you all graduate from BYOB?
Mrs. Stein also helped my sister when she needed it getting into a high school. Sister, thank you for reminding me about Mrs. Stein's, "Ana Hashem hoshiya na!" during hallel.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 7:23 pm
let's not forget the "wise eyes" club....
the 8th grade play based on Purim USA...
the "cantada" at 8th grade graduation...
She was only my principal for 2 years (I came to BYOB in 7th grade), but I have many, many fond memories of this special woman.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:55 pm
I heard from women who went - the levaya took 3 hours Exclamation

some points:

They said she was like Avrohom Avinu - many unfortunates frequented her house, her house was open to them.

She addressed Russian Jews, to be mekarev them.

shocking - she had been sick for the past 20 years, quite sick the past 2 shock

sister

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 11:09 pm
I graduated in 1994

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 5:06 am
amother wrote:
shocking - she had been sick for the past 20 years, quite sick the past 2 shock

Wow shocking!! I don't remember her being sick when I was in school. shock Surprised

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:23 am
BDE

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:40 am
BDE

Yes, she was very special- although I never appreciated her then, and was quite a trouble maker- she had patience to deal with me and not just give up on me.

Like Sister said Who can forget her Kavana in Hallel - it was legendary- her kindness to every talmida- She put all her kochos to instill in us a love for torah and mitzvos- to be medakdek in all the mitvos-esp. tznius.

BTW, Sister I graduated in 98, too.

proudmom

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:57 am
sister wrote:
I graduated in 1994

me too! Very Happy

proudmom

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 11:02 am
Mrs. Stien A"H was an amazing person. I invited her to my wedding and she told me she wasnt able to make it because she had no way in getting there. She felt so bad, the next day by my sister graduation she took me to the side and started dancing with me. Everytime I would see her and visit her in BYOB she would always have a very big smile on her face.

She was my teacher in school too besides a principal. I would never forget how she would say Ashrai when she got to the part "poseach es yadecha umasbia lechol chai ratzon " what amazing kevana she had.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 11:14 am
OOPS- I'm so tired I meant I graduated byob in 94- I guess we have quite a reunion here.

BrachaVhatzlacha- thanx for posting the picutres.

You know I forgot about her Poseach es yodech-, but for years I said that posek with extra kavana not even realizing or remembering it was Mrs. Stein who taught me that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics