Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
BDE- Mrs. Shoshana Stein
Previous  1  2  3  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 4:12 pm
so you're all classmates Smile
I graduated '95 from elementary.
I know proudmom and now sister. Soniboni, who are you? Wink Did you go to tiferes?

Nomad

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:31 pm
Quote:
This morning I was talking to my freind and we were both remembering the way she said hallel, with so much kavanah

I remember that too and as a kid I thought it was really strange (almost embarrassing) and now I appreciate the kavana in tefilla that she had

Nomad

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:32 pm
I graduated in '96

lamplighter

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:57 pm
I graduated in 97

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:51 am
No, I didn't go to tiferes.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 4:10 pm
Nomad, do you know me? (a Bracha a year older than you) assuming you mean you graduated elementary in '96. Do I know you? Sonniboni, do you know me?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:36 pm
Any of you going to be menachem avel? Those of us with fond memories - well, I'm sure the family would appreciate hearing them:

1745 52 (until Fri. afternoon)

calls can be made: 718-438-1742

Some more details:

She was born on the Lower East Side at the beginning of the Great Depression (early 30's). She attended public school. How she became the frum women that she was, I don't know!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
Any of you going to be menachem avel? Those of us with fond memories - well, I'm sure the family would appreciate hearing them:

1745 52 (until Fri. afternoon)

calls can be made: 718-438-1742

Some more details:

She was born on the Lower East Side at the beginning of the Great Depression (early 30's). She attended public school. How she became the frum women that she was, I don't know!
I've heard that Mrs. Pilchik of Bais Yaakov of BP went to Public School as well.

miriam

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 8:59 pm
I think public school was much different back then.

supermom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:57 am
So that makes her only seventy something? She looked much older when I went to school. Are you sure she was that young?

supermom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:58 am
I am too curious to know who sonniboni and sister is. Very Happy

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:30 pm
Quote:
I am too curious to know who sonniboni and sister is.

Same here- PM me if you really want to know who I am.

Supermom I'm guessing you graduated in 94 if you think you know me?

Bracha, Bais Yaakov was so small - It could be I know you- even though you weren't in my grade.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 8:12 am
supermom, sister was in your sister's class. sonniboni, what are/were your initials?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:40 pm
CORRECTION
She was NOT sick for 20 years. She was sick for 2 years.

Her daughter Liba confirmed what I remembered about her mother's view of special ed. She said her mother did not like it at all. Did not like designating children with labels. Did not like having them taken out of class so they missed what was going on in class. Did not like them given 5 milim when the class had 30. She believed in tutoring the child, and did that a lot. She thought flash cards are terrific. A child can master one mila on a flash card, wonderful, now she can move on to additional words. Even when in the hospital, she tutored on the phone, listened to children reading.

How was she at home? Liba said her mother was so loving. She said she bailed them out with homework like if she left a report for the last night, her mother would stay up and help her with it.

She loved singing and would ask for another song and another song at the Shabbos table.

She was enthusiastic over everything they made and did. She raved about her sons' drawing and so they kept at it and are now artists.

As far as secular books etc. - her goal was to make Yiddishkeit so alive, so geshmak, so enticing and wonderful that children wouldn't be interested in other things.

She was 77.

(Liba is interested in material about her mother. If you have things to share, please send it, written (taped) to the address posted earlier).

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 3:48 pm
A shloshim gathering is scheduled for Tuesday night, May 8 at B.Y. of Boro Park, at 8:00.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 4:02 pm
thank you - can you please provide more details.

Mevater

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
CORRECTION
She was NOT sick for 20 years. She was sick for 2 years.

Her daughter Liba confirmed what I remembered about her mother's view of special ed. She said her mother did not like it at all. Did not like designating children with labels. Did not like having them taken out of class so they missed what was going on in class. Did not like them given 5 milim when the class had 30. She believed in tutoring the child, and did that a lot. She thought flash cards are terrific. A child can master one mila on a flash card, wonderful, now she can move on to additional words. Even when in the hospital, she tutored on the phone, listened to children reading.

How was she at home? Liba said her mother was so loving. She said she bailed them out with homework like if she left a report for the last night, her mother would stay up and help her with it.

She loved singing and would ask for another song and another song at the Shabbos table.

She was enthusiastic over everything they made and did. She raved about her sons' drawing and so they kept at it and are now artists.

As far as secular books etc. - her goal was to make Yiddishkeit so alive, so geshmak, so enticing and wonderful that children wouldn't be interested in other things.

She was 77.

(Liba is interested in material about her mother. If you have things to share, please send it, written (taped) to the address posted earlier).
IMO, the story of her life and her thoughts on Special Ed. would be a Best Seller, maybe even two separate Best Sellers. I am hoping her daughter will see this idea through.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 9:18 pm
Evening of Chizuk & Inspiration in her memory
8:00 PM
Tuesday May 8th in
Bais Yaakov of Boro Park
1371 46th Street Brooklyn NY

for more info call 718.854.7028

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 9:50 pm
hope to see you there! (ps why posted as amother?)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:05 pm
I didn't make it - I had no ride.
Did anyone go? What did they speak about?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics