Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tuition assistance in Lakewood

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 12:20 am
Are there any organizations that help families pay for tuition in lakewood ?
Tia

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 12:50 am
None that I know of, but your dh's rav can probably connect you with one. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 1:27 pm
BUMP

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:26 pm
BUMP

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:36 pm
This is so sad. I heard of frum familes sending their kids to public schools because they have no money to pay tuition. They are trying to come up with money to hire a Rebbe to teach the boys after school.

There are organizations around that help kids get out of public school, but there is no one willing to help kids stay in yeshivas??? So sad.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:37 pm
momX4 wrote:
This is so sad. I heard of frum familes sending their kids to public schools because they have no money to pay tuition. They are trying to come up with money to hire a Rebbe to teach the boys after school.

There are organizations around that help kids get out of public school, but there is no one willing to help kids stay in yeshivas??? So sad.

Or the men that sit in kollel all day should get a job

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
momX4 wrote:

I dont live in Lakewood and the people sending their kids to public school are not in kollel. Going to work may be the OP's solution, but even on a great salary its hard to pay tuition for 8 kids.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:51 pm
momx4, tuition for 8 kids is expensive. In Lakewood, tuition is pretty cheap right? $4,000 or so? That's $32,000. Who is going to donate that kind of money? Many of the wealthy donors were hit hard in this economy or have other organizations they are supporting. Its not a simple answer, especially when Lakewood schools are bursting at the seams!

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
momX4 wrote:

And many many are doing just that.

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:00 pm
Tuition is difficult, but relatively low in many Lakewood schools compared with other places. And you can apply for a reduced rate (scholarship). If you're really struggling, maybe you can reach out for help in other areas like food (tomchei shabbos, for ex.) and then you'll have more money for tuition.

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:11 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
momx4, tuition for 8 kids is expensive. In Lakewood, tuition is pretty cheap right? $4,000 or so? That's $32,000. Who is going to donate that kind of money? Many of the wealthy donors were hit hard in this economy or have other organizations they are supporting. Its not a simple answer, especially when Lakewood schools are bursting at the seams!

I am personally upset when I see such a post like the OP. There are kiruv organizations that will pay a childs yeshiva tuition if they removed the child from public school and not one will help keep kids out of public school. Its upsetting.

I have 3 kids in school and paying my bills can sometimes be a struggle. I am grateful my DH has a great job, but for a frum jewish family sometimes it isnt enough.

I believe in educating our kids, especially our boys, so that when they go out to work they should bring home a substantial income. Its sad to see some men work at 2 jobs and bring home $80,000 a year.(see matzav.com)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:48 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

Depends on the school. We pay $6600 tuition per year for one child. And that doesn't include the mandatory building fee ($3000 paid over 3 years), mandatory summer camp, optional lunch program, mandatory books fee, etc.

DH and I both work, but paying the bills is still difficult!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 2:04 pm
I am the OP.

I am sorry if I upset anyone.
BH we have been in a position where it was difficult for us to make ends meet, and Hashem has so kindly turned things around for us. I don't spend a day in which I don't thank g-d I can pay my bills.

We were looking to help others that were struggling with tuition. There is a kid that was in one of my children s class last year that is currently being "homeschooled". I am wondering if there is anyone out there that actually helps people that cannot afford tuition. Also, while everyone is struggling, how would we determine how to earmark these funds.

My husband and I were thinking of trying to start such a fund. Im wondering if we are crazy. While we do have some extra Maaser, I am thinking such an organization would need hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to make a dent.
Maybe I am taking on more than I can chew by even thinking of such an idea

Input?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 2:09 pm
OP an organization like that would be flooded. I don't think it would be possible to raise the funds needed.

Therefor, IME those who are able to help others in need of tuition assistance do one of two things:

a. Help the school directly. For example, if a wealthy donor builds a new wing for Bais Limud Torah (making up that name) then BLT would not need to have a building fund for the parents, and that would relieve the burden for all parents, plus it would enable them to pay their tuition sooner.

b. Help an individual that you know, that is struggling. In that case, you can make a dent for that family. (And I know people who help struggling relatives with tuition payments. In my family, a family member took up a collection once to help bring a struggling relative up to date with back-owed tuition, allowing them to start the year with a fresh zero balance.)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 2:13 pm
Thanks. We actually have helped our own relatives with their tuitions, and sent one of our nephews to a much-needed summer camp. I just wonder if there are people that dont have anyone to turn to.

Although, I would love to think that donating to a school directly would help individual families struggling, I dont see that happening so fast

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
I am the OP.

I am sorry if I upset anyone.
BH we have been in a position where it was difficult for us to make ends meet, and Hashem has so kindly turned things around for us. I don't spend a day in which I don't thank g-d I can pay my bills.

We were looking to help others that were struggling with tuition. There is a kid that was in one of my children s class last year that is currently being "homeschooled". I am wondering if there is anyone out there that actually helps people that cannot afford tuition. Also, while everyone is struggling, how would we determine how to earmark these funds.

My husband and I were thinking of trying to start such a fund. Im wondering if we are crazy. While we do have some extra Maaser, I am thinking such an organization would need hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to make a dent.
Maybe I am taking on more than I can chew by even thinking of such an idea

Input?

I am upset because like you said there is no one out there helping people keep the kids in jewish school. I guess in lakewood the option is homeschooling and in my community its public school.

People should pay tuition according to their income. The problem is that there are people that are crying poverty and are eligible for government aid and yet their lifestyle doesn't reflect it (They may be supported or working at a cash job). If you start an organization you may unfortunately be bombarded with alot of such people.

I am sensitive to this subject since my DS was supposed to go to public school to receive help he needs. I heard of a frum school that can provide him that help and spend 3 months "harassing" the school to accept my DS. BH my DS is thriving in a frum jewish school.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 4:11 pm
When we were living in Chicago, there was an amazing organization called the Kehillah Fund. Maybe you can start something similar near you?
http://www.jewisheducationfund.net/

Shana_H

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 4:40 pm
momX4 wrote:

And here's the reason why, Mr and Mrs Haimish go to the Yeshiva to ask for tuition assistance for their 4+ kids, they both work not such great jobs, drive not such nice cars, live in a not so nice apartment, they never go "away" on vacation and have no family pouring cash into their bank accounts but Old Money Bags at the Yeshiva says it'll cost 8k per child and that's with a hefty discount, but that's 32k per year, they can't pay that, but see the Yeshiva thinks that faced with the prospect of the kids going to Public School Mr and Mr Haimish will move heaven and earth to come up with the money, sell a kidney, whatever. Mr and Mrs Haimish walk out not knowing what'll become of their beautiful children. Now here's where it gets crazy the Haimish kids go to Public School and the community goes wild! Suddenly Old Money Bags has a change of heart and the Haimish kids get full scholarship to Yeshiva!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:53 pm
Donating to a school in general in order to help relieve the tuition burden for a family does NOT work that way.

I work very closely with the administrator of my children's school. He said to call up the administrator of a school and explain that you would like to help a family with their tuition. He will certainly be able to think of plenty of families with tuition bills in the thousands of dollars. What usually happens in this situation is the administrator calls the parents of said family so they and you both stay anonymous. Any money you send goes directly to lowering their tuition bill and their monthly bill reflects that so the parents can see how much you gave but not who you are.

This is a huge mitzva. I know of someone that was on the receiving end of this enormous chessed and she literally cried when she told me about it.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
momX4 wrote:

Aw, shucks, turns out OP is the giver and not the kollel wife.

So sorry this thread didn't go the way you wanted it to. Puke
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children