Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati

westerner

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 9:11 pm
hi again to those of you who didnt see my first post (about houston...but I guess if you dont live in houston, why would you cliick on it anyways!!)
so- I have a job interview in cincinnati. was looking for some info about the community in general. but mostly, we are interested in hearing about the schools (the non- co ed ones), so that my husband and I can decide if this is a place where we can envision ourselves spending many years with our family.
so- please! all input is really welcome from any people who live there or have lived there! thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 9:43 pm
My husband is from Cincinnati- the community there is nice and is growing due to the presence of the kollel. Definitely more young families moving in and settling in the community. Cost of living is cheap. I can't tell you so much about the schools except to say that boys usually go out of town for high school. There is a girls high school in Cincinnati. Don't know much about the elementary school but I think there are enough students of each gender to have separate classes. maybe someone else will chime in. And I do know that there are vouchers if you move there before your kiddos turn 4 I think.We visit occasionally and always enjoy our time there- folks are very open, warm and friendly. Plus, they have GRAETERS ICECREAM! Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:55 pm
There is only one elementary community school. Some of the older classes are mixed due to numbers, but the younger grades (I believe 2nd and below) are separate. The older ones that are mixed due so for secular; the kodesh is separate. The girls high school is sort of affiliated with the day school from what I understand, it's brand new this year. The older elementary girls go to the same building as the high school for kodesh if I have my info correct.

Vouchers are for kids entering kindergarten for the remainder of their schooling.

Really, it's a great, growing community, but with growth comes growth pains. This year was a big one transitionally...new principal in the day school, new girls high school, etc.

The people as a whole though are very warm and friendly. Cost of living is extremely reasonable, too.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:06 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There is only one elementary community school. Some of the older classes are mixed due to numbers, but the younger grades (I believe 2nd and below) are separate. The older ones that are mixed due so for secular; the kodesh is separate. The girls high school is sort of affiliated with the day school from what I understand, it's brand new this year. The older elementary girls go to the same building as the high school for kodesh if I have my info correct.

Are you sure this info is up to date? I was told that Rabbi Weinreb made a new school (which caused quite a bit of controversy) there.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:27 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Are you sure this info is up to date? I was told that Rabbi Weinreb made a new school (which caused quite a bit of controversy) there.

Just saw this -- the old high school closed down, and he helped make a new one which was started as an extension of the day school (at least for starters) for accreditation purposes I think. My info is up to date.

This year, though, the first grade is not separate. Second and third are.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:15 pm
Can someone please clarify: I've always heard one advantage of various communities in Ohio is that there are vouchers for schooling; do you mean to say that if you move there with children older than kindergarten then you don't get any?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:06 pm
Nope. PM me. Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:44 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Just saw this -- the old high school closed down, and he helped make a new one which was started as an extension of the day school (at least for starters) for accreditation purposes I think. My info is up to date.

This year, though, the first grade is not separate. Second and third are.

The rav closed down the high school and that is why he had to make a new one.

Cincinnati is a nice place with lots of advantages - but like any other city in the world, pros and cons.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:08 pm
I think it's best to leave politics out of a thread like this...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think it's best to leave politics out of a thread like this...

Yes maam! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating