Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Inwood
1  2  Next

nyer1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:51 am
Not a lot of info since 2010 on this site.
has anyone moved there or know anyone who has moved there recently?
what is it like?
what areas / within which streets would I look at?
where do ppl send for school?
what are property taxes?
how many families are there?
hashgafa?

starting to think about where to buy a house and my ideas have me jumping from KGH to Far rockway to hillcrest to bayswater to inwood to cedarhurst AHH!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 11:59 am
I don't know so much about Inwood, so I can't really help you with that. I do know more about some of the other places that you mentioned though.

What kind of community are you looking for?

Do you have kids? How old and what kind of schools are you interested in?

What size house do you want/need and approximately what is your budget?

nyer1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 12:04 pm
hi! thanks for your reply.
we are a couple with 1 toddler. looking to expand our family but not until we are in a bigger place. hence the upcoming move.
we are kiiiiinnnnda yeshivish. I cover my hair, DH wears a hat on shabbos. we don't have a TV but we have internet and watch movies online. Im a BT and my husband is more yeshivish FFB. I wear stockings MOST of the time, if that really makes a difference. I value secular education, so although we wouldn't send to a co-ed school per say, I need a school that strongly values higher education and the like.

looking to put about 100k down on a house in the 500 range. I could see us spending between 450k and 550k. but it seems like property taxes are the big killer.

I do not want an attached home.

hesitant about far rockaway and bayswater after all of the hurricane damage.

where do we go Sad?

we need a really warm, somewhat tightknit community where there is an eruv and we could make friends. my husband is on hatzolah, and we both want to be active members of a community helping to plan events and run things. we really enjoy it.

nyer1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 12:05 pm
we are a couple with 1 toddler. looking to expand our family but not until we are in a bigger place. hence the upcoming move.
we are kiiiiinnnnda yeshivish. I cover my hair, DH wears a hat on shabbos. we don't have a TV but we have internet and watch movies online. Im a BT and my husband is more yeshivish FFB. I wear stockings MOST of the time, if that really makes a difference. I value secular education, so although we wouldn't send to a co-ed school per say, I need a school that strongly values higher education and the like.

looking to put about 100k down on a house in the 500 range. I could see us spending between 450k and 550k. but it seems like property taxes are the big killer.

where do we go Sad?

we need a really warm, somewhat tightknit community where there is an eruv and we could make friends. my husband is on hatzolah, and we both want to be active members of a community helping to plan events and run things. we really enjoy it.

nyer1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 12:05 pm

where do we go Sad?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 12:23 pm
The Far Rockaway/5 Towns area was hard hit by Sandy. They say it was a once in a lifetime storm, but who knows if and when it will happen again. Inwood, by the way, also sustained hurricane damage.

KGH has a lot of attached homes. It's unlikely that you could find an unattached home in your price range.

Hillcrest has mostly unattached homes. There is a small yeshiva and a small shul that is more yeshivish, but most of the community is MO with a YU flavor (if that makes sense).

Bayswater is more affordable than Far Rockaway. I have a good friend who lives there, and have had good experiences going there for shabbos. They were definitely majorly affected by Sandy.

Cedarhurst has a transitory community living in apartments mixed with a more settled community living in houses. There is a large range of sizes and prices, so you would have to get lucky.

Have you considered North Woodmere? You might be a good fit. It's a growing community with many young families. Your budget is at the low end though. I've heard that most of the houses there are selling in the $600 range. And of course, they were also affected by Sandy.

Hewlett is also a growing community, but I don't know that much about it.

Your best bet is to look at real estate websites to see what's available and affordable in the areas that you're interested in. Once you narrow it down to a couple of places, contact the local shuls and arrange to spend a shabbos in the neighborhood to get a feel for the community. If you like what you see, then it's time to contact a real estate agent to do some serious house-hunting.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 12:41 pm
why dont I just add to your confusion about where to buy and mention passaic. it sounds like you would probably fit in there.

nyer1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:17 pm
the truth is... I could expand my price range probably to 575k. maybe that could expand my search. it really depends what the taxes are. that's why I was leaning toward somewhere in queens / rockaway area. it sounded like cedarhurst if you could get an affordable home, the taxes are pretty low compared to the other areas of the five towns. then I heard about inwood and thought it would be a possibility, but I haven't heard too much about it.

I would like to hope that sandy is like, a once in a lifetime thing but who knows!! I mean, I guess anything could happen anywhere, but do I want to put myself in the situation of a much higher chance of hurricane and flood damage? yes, I know that CVS a fire could happen anywhere or any natural disaster, but to buy in a major flood zone is kinda scary. thoughts on that?

passaic I really like, but my husband feels that its pretty yeshivish, and it's also not so convenient for us. I work in manhattan, although I could change to long island or queens. my husband works in brooklyn. I've probably TOTALLY given away myself now!!

ANYONE have more info about inwood??

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:48 pm
If you are ruling out areas that experienced flooding, Inwood was affected along with the rest of the 5T (specific blocks in all of them + Bayswater + Far Rock). However, you can find housing in any of those areas on blocks that are not in flood zones or near bays or major sewer lines.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
If you are ruling out areas that experienced flooding, Inwood was affected along with the rest of the 5T (specific blocks in all of them + Bayswater + Far Rock). However, you can find housing in any of those areas on blocks that are not in flood zones or near bays or major sewer lines.

Yup, every town on the south shore was hit by Sandy, but also in every town you had houses and whole streets that were fine. A friend of mine in Inwood lost her basement and first floor, but a friend in Bayswater who lives only one block from the bay had no damage at all. It would be easy enough to find out if a specific house for sale was hit or not. No need to rule out a whole town based on Sandy.

curiousgeorge1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:22 pm
North Woodmere might be a food fit - the though some blocks there were also affected by Sandy. As everyone said, Most of the homes in far Rockaway, Bayswater, Inwood, and the 5 towns were not affected, only certain areas/blocks. All of these towns "share" schools so there is a big selection.
For girls: tag, bnos bais Yaakov, Shulamith, a new bais Yaakov school (forgot the name), Shalhevet (hs), SKA (hs)
For boys: darchei, yeshiva ketana, siyach yitzchak, South Shore, MAY (hs), rambam (hs), DRS (hs), yeshiva of far Rockaway (hs)
Coed: HALB (has separate high schools), HAFTR
I may have left some out.

Now where you will fit in is a different question. Based on how u describe yourself (which is pretty vague) you might fit into any of the communities in the area. You should go for shabbos and I heck them out.

Price wise, Bayswater and Inwood are the least expensive. Far Rockaway is very expensive, though not as much if you go to the border. Though I haven't really heard yet how Sandy affected the real estate market. Bayswater is probably too frum for you though like everywhere there is a mix. But most of the young couples there are part of ZA, the yeshiva there. Inwood and North Woodmere are both newer communities attracting a lot of young couples, though they are pretty different from eachother. Definitely check them both out.

I hope this helps.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:42 pm
for what youre looking for, inwood sounds very your type, I don't live there but I know people who do

I have no idea about the property tax though

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 9:24 pm
looking for updated info on inwood. I have looots of questions. I am coming form brooklyn so not familiar with the area too much..
-what kind of community is it socially?
-hashkafah-wise?
-is there still only one shul?
-are the families young? how young?
-what are the prices like? what kind of houses?
-what are the neibohrs like?
-what kind of family would be happy there?
-what kind of family wwould be unhappy there?
-how does it compare to north woodmere?
I would so so appreciate info!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 7:17 pm
bump

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:45 pm
BUMP

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:59 pm
Can't exactly describe the type of everyone here because there are many but majority are families that are connected to Torah but are presently not learning full time anymore. Very friendly people. Yes only one shul but they are working on a second for people a little further to the other side of inwood.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:26 pm
What schools do most ppl in inwood send their kids specifically their girls. Bby or tag? Or other? Is it a flatbush transplant community or a little more simple and laid back?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:55 pm
Anyone...

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:02 am
It's whatever school u like we have all bby, tag or by ateres miriam

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 11:16 pm
Bump. Any more info on Inwood...how many families are there now...how many shuls...I heard a kollel opened and then I heard it fell apart...do more ppl send to tag or bby or an even mix
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating