Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
No urn- how to keep water hot

acemom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:22 am
My hot water urn broke right before the summer and I haven't replaced it yet. During the week we boiled water in a kettle when needed. Because of the heat, DH only drank cold coffee anyway so Shabbos wasn't a problem. Now that the weather is becoming cooler, no hot water on Shabbos is becoming an issue.

I use an aluminum "blech" to keep my soup and other food hot throughout Shabbos. My kettle is Pareve but used mainly for dairy so I am not that careful. Would it be okay to put the kettle on the blech as well? Do I need to make any "seperations" between the Fleishig pots and pans and the kettle?

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:25 am
I would put heavy duty aluminum foil around it ... or use a thermos - or invest in another urn seeing that winter is around the corner & people need to warm up with a nice hot beverage

rw555

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:26 am
I use a percolator special designed for Shobbos use, but it's not cheap

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:29 am
rw555 wrote:

Can you tell me about that? By percolator, do you mean something that somehow makes REAL coffee on Shabbat? If it does, PM me with your real name, and I will not only raise money to build a monument to you, or something like that.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:39 am
Barbara wrote:
rw555 wrote:

Can you tell me about that? By percolator, do you mean something that somehow makes REAL coffee on Shabbat? If it does, PM me with your real name, and I will not only raise money to build a monument to you, or something like that.

you know one of those timed coffee machines that go on in the am ... hello REAL COFFEE !!! coffee

rw555

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:47 am
Barbara wrote:
rw555 wrote:

No sorry it's just for water

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:54 am
greenfire wrote:
Barbara wrote:
rw555 wrote:

you know one of those timed coffee machines that go on in the am ... hello REAL COFFEE !!! coffee

I've never asked my rav, but I always assumed that I couldn't set a timer to do actual cooking on Shabbat. Just like I can't set my rice cooker (yeah, I can't resist mentioning that one to Greenfire!) to make nice fluffy delicious rice on Shabbat.

Am I wrong?

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:54 am
rw555 wrote:
Barbara wrote:
rw555 wrote:

No sorry it's just for water

That's OK, I couldn't afford a bronze statue in any case.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 11:01 am
Barbara wrote:

I've never asked my rav, but I always assumed that I couldn't set a timer to do actual cooking on Shabbat. Just like I can't set my rice cooker (yeah, I can't resist mentioning that one to Greenfire!) to make nice fluffy delicious rice on Shabbat.

Am I wrong?

WT* is a rice cooker ?!?!?! Wink

anyways

although it's debatable by some - rebbetzin greenfire allows it ... coffee is already roasted ... go for it :arrow:

Learning

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 12:08 pm
Barbara wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Barbara wrote:
rw555 wrote:

Am I wrong?

Anything on a timer set before Shabbos is allowed.

little_mage

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 1:02 pm
I've used a crock-pot on keep warm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note