Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Itchy oily scalp + dry coarse hair

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 6:53 am
I have a really weird situation that I can't get under control. I have very thick, coarse dry hair, but a really itchy greasy scalp.
I have tried clarifying shampoos for the scalp, but that kills my hair even more. I've tried moisturizing shampoos for the hair, but that really greases up my scalp even more. I also tried dandruff shampoo- no help. Plus, my scalp is very itchy, and if I scratch, it gets more oily.
Pantene, Clean and clear, nutrogena, and Boilage, Tresseme, Head and shoulders- all been tried, none have helped.

I guess I need a magic wand to balance the two......
Can a/o recommend specific brands to cleanse and balance my scalp/hair w/o over drying the hair or overgreasing the scalp? (pref drug store or walmart/target available brands)
ps- I cannot use a/thing tea tree oil- I once tried a product w/ it for my combination skin and I had a very bad reaction to it.
Thanks so much!!

queen76

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 7:29 am
I've had a similar problem. I wouldn't say I have greasy scalp. It's more like a dry scalp problem, and excessive dandruff. What I did find to work is staying away from shampoos that contain SLS, which is sodium Laurel sulfates. It is a chemical that is found in most shampoos and soaps, and can be very irritating to the scalp. Many people who have sensitivities see results when removing these types of shampoos from their washing routines.
Good luck!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 7:40 am
after washing & while still wet, once a week put jojoba/vitamin E oil ... not so much a few drops into the hands and massage into the top scalp ... another few drops for the back [keep away from nape of neck & hairline

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:17 am
What shampoo brands don't have SLS- and don't cost a fortune?
Greenie, won't using vitamin E oil or some other oil make the grease problem worse?!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:26 am
see the key to anything is a proper balance ... one's hair becomes too oily or too dry if it is not in proper health ... you must restore it to proper health

if your hands are dry you put lotion ... same for hair & all the growth comes from the hair shaft which makes or breaks the health of your hair ...

also keep your hair trimmed ... unhealthy dry ends suck out the essential vitamins

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:01 am
true true, but the scalp is greasy, so y is the hair dry and coarse? btw- my hair is very short now, had it cut recently.

queen76

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:44 am
If you go to the health food store there are quite a few to choose from. Google it too. Not all of them are expensive.
I like using Dr. bronners Castile soaps.

ReallyRosie

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 10:38 am
Avalon Organics Scalp Normalizing Shampoo and conditioner. Leave on three minutes each before rinsing. That will fix your scalp issues, and leave your hair soft. I also use a homemade hand lotion for any random dryness on my hair. And let it dry completley before you cover. :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics