Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Autistic boy from queens missing
1  2  Next

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:24 am
For 3 weeks yet noones doing anything drastic about it. I don't get it. The dad didn't seem very emotional about it when he spoke on tv. This kid is non- verbal and missing for 3 weeks!!! Is c"v it was a jewish kid, noone would be able to sleep until he is found!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:30 am
doesn't sound good ... maybe the kid always runs away ... maybe the police aren't worried either ...

I know I would be worried sick

[although you didn't post a news link so I don't know the situation]

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:42 am
My issue is what are we as the jewish community doing to help look for this child? When leiby kletzky was missing , everybody mobilized to look for him. How come here we didn't come out and offer to help.
he is a child we autisim and he ran out of school and is lost. He did not just run away He doesn't have the cognitive ability to run away like a neurotypical teenager.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:52 am
neurotypical teenager ~ I never said he was ... but autistic kids can run away as well ~ yeah

smilingmom

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:57 am
ROFL wrote:
My issue is what are we as the jewish community doing to help look for this child? When leiby kletzky was missing , everybody mobilized to look for him. How come here we didn't come out and offer to help.
he is a child we autisim and he ran out of school and is lost. He did not just run away He doesn't have the cognitive ability to run away like a neurotypical teenager.

Shomrim of Crown Heights was involved in the search, until the police called off the search.
There were volunteers from all over NYC who searched the first few days, but as hope waned, so did the presence of volunteers.

I guess your point is well taken, why didn't Avonte's community do more when Avonte's was first missing? Police say the first 24 hours are the most crucial.
We cannot answer for them. Only for ourselves. And Shomrim was there the first few days.

morah

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:36 am
I live in Queens and there was a massive manhunt for him in the first 48 hours- NYPD cars, trucks, and even helicopters all over the borough. It dropped off after that. It's not looking good and now most people are focusing on how negligent the school was in allowing him to just walk outlike that and then fail to inform the parents till over an hour after they figured out he was gone...

And yes, autistic kids can and do run away. It's usually referred to as elopement. No, its not the same as when troubled kids run away, it's more of a wandering off. This is a known danger with severely autistic people (also elderly people with dementia). This is an incredibly sad situation all around- I daven this boy is safe, and if ch'v not, that his family will at least get some closure.

ny21

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 7:02 am
he is still missing

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 8:27 am
He's been missing since October 4th. His picture is all over every borough and on the outside of every school bus. The entire subway system was searched a day after he disappeared because he loves subways. There is a $95,000 reward for whoever finds him. I told my kids about him a week after he disappeared. I make a point to show his picture to them whenever we pass the signs. Its not that I expect my kids to find him, but I feel its important for them to understand that everyone has a responsibility towards getting him home safely if they see him. (I may be more sensitive to the topic because my 5-year-old has autism.) I really think someone should check all construction sites that were in process the day he disappeared because he may have buried himself alive by mistake. Kids with autism usually lack danger awareness. Ds always tries to run into a building being renovated because for him, its a game that manages to reach all his senses.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 10:21 am
I was thinking about him recently too. So sad and scary. The first week or so it was all over the news but a couple of days ago I realized it noticeably isn't anymore.

Hopefully maybe this will at least be the kick in the pants we need to get some kind of tracking device on all kids who are at high risk of getting lost. It should not be so complicated, the technology has been around for years, people have tracking capabilities on their phones and ipods so why not on CHILDREN?

ny21

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 10:30 am
the police in nyc are ticketing people who are putting up poster s.

on facebook I have seen updates about this .

Happy18

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 12:06 pm
seeker wrote:
I was thinking about him recently too. So sad and scary. The first week or so it was all over the news but a couple of days ago I realized it noticeably isn't anymore.

Hopefully maybe this will at least be the kick in the pants we need to get some kind of tracking device on all kids who are at high risk of getting lost. It should not be so complicated, the technology has been around for years, people have tracking capabilities on their phones and ipods so why not on CHILDREN?

Short of implanting them under the childs skin how do you suggest they keep them on these children at all times? Anything the kid could take off is worthless.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 12:34 pm
ny21 wrote:
the police in nyc are ticketing people who are putting up poster s.

on facebook I have seen updates about this .

Why?

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 16 2013, 9:24 pm
Happy18 wrote:
seeker wrote:

Short of implanting them under the childs skin how do you suggest they keep them on these children at all times? Anything the kid could take off is worthless.

1) I'm sure they can devise a way that kids can't take off. What do they do for kids who need medical alert bracelets and can't be trusted to keep them on?
2) ...and what would be so bad about implanting them under the child's skin? I am pretty confident the technology exists to do this with no harm to the child, shouldn't hurt more than, say, a routine blood test.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:04 am
This is going to sound insensitive, but keep in mind my sister is autistic and she was a wanderer who wouldn't wear an ID bracelet... not to speak for them, but I'm pretty sure...

My parents would have welcomed the offer of an implantable GPS chip.

Also, they feel really bad for this kid's family, it's a tragedy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11.....?_r=0

morah

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:46 am
Happy18 wrote:
seeker wrote:

They do make things that can't come off so easily, like ankle monitors for criminals.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 6:23 am
I would DEFINITELY go for an under-the-skin gps. My biggest fear is my son running off chv. (He did it once, I needed therapy to get over the trauma. Dont ask.)

Happy18

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 6:43 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I would DEFINITELY go for an under-the-skin gps. My biggest fear is my son running off chv. (He did it once, I needed therapy to get over the trauma. Dont ask.)

As far as I know this technology isn't currently available. They have not figured out a way to power this type of thing for more than a few minutes. Sorry for the comparison but my family looked into it for a dog that has a tendency to run away.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 7:07 am
He can wear the Amber Alert Pendant but he would rip it off so its not shayich. They need to come up with a small, unobtrusive ankle bracelet which wont bother a sensory child.

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 7:38 am
They have implanted chips that are used for animals. I don't understand why a parent can't ask for one for a child.
Do you have alarms on all doors.? That way you know if your son is walking out.

Happy18

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 7:47 am
ROFL wrote:
They have implanted chips that are used for animals. I don't understand why a parent can't ask for one for a child.
Do you have alarms on all doors.? That way you know if your son is walking out.

The chips in animals are not GPS tags. They are ID tags. This way if the pet gets lost and is taken to the pound, vet etc they can scan the tag and they get the owners information even if the pet loses its collar. Its only effective if the animal is found, does not help the find the actual animal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics