Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Contractor in Brooklyn

Chaya4

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 2:02 pm
I'm looking for suggestions for contractors that you were happy with that would be able to do an extension on a house.

I would also love to hear personal experiences from people who have done an extension to find out how long it took and about how much it cost.

Also we need to redo the kitchen. What would be the best route to go? Use someone who specifically does kitchens or just a general contractor? The kitchen is the most imp space for me to be done properly and utilize every space.

thank you!

JDmommy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:52 pm
Chaya4, that is hysterical! I did exactly what you are describing, extension and put in new kitchen. Ok so the extension should cost around 50K, not including the architect and expediter.

The kitchen is something that can be prepped by the GC (the space framed and sheetrocked, compound, painted, etc) but the kitchen company itself has installers. The GC would still have to get u a reliable tiler to do the backsplash though, just make sure you ask to include this in the price before you sign the contract so as to avoid work change orders.

OK so my story is that I basically took a GC that came recommended and showed pics etc but who was a ganav...in the end after many tens of thousands of dollars and many sleepless nights, he left (which was a HUGE bracha). Of course I was traumatized, and it took me about 4 months (of paying rent plus mortgage) to find someone that I trusted. Getting a GC is like a shidduch, but the most important thing is INTEGRITY!!! If the guy is not honest he will cut corners and compromise the money you are giving him. We got a lot of low-ball bids that I was able to recognize, but when I met James I was with my mother and we both were very impressed with him. He is honest and not looking to save a couple of dollars and not do the job the right way.

JDmommy

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:03 am
OK so utilizing the best space is what the kitchen designer helps you do. I used Nagad cabinets (on mcdonald ave close to ave f) and worked with Yafit, who knows her stuff. You tell her what is important to you and she creates the plan, which you can and should sleep on. The price was reasonable (cabinets about 10K).

James will order the top quality concrete and will put the required amount of rebar in the footings, things that most people don't know about but that are important structurally. And the finish job is beautiful boruch hashem. He speaks English and understands what customer service means! I wish I had read this post when I was first looking for a GC. I never had a reason to post before this but I wanted people also to be warned not to use an Albanian contractor named Bill, he is a crook (that's the first guy who scarred me). Ok so James' contact number is 917-217-6142, jbjrenovations@gmail.com.

And about the price to redo the kitchen, it depends if they have to demo, reframe and redo the walls...so I can't tell you a general number. If that is where the extension is going in, then you are in luck.

solo

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:02 pm
Jdmommy, this is an old post. Is ur contractor still around? Would u still recommend?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries