Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Vegetables from chk soup-make a new soup?

MMCH

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:32 am
anybody do this?
I saw (and now I cant find where) where you take the leftover vegetables (I dont like to freeze them) from the chicken soup put in a different pot boil up with stock and blend?

did I make it up?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:47 am
Not a good idea. Vegs cooked in soup have given up most of their flavor and nutrition to the broth, which is the whole point of having the veggies in the soup in the first place. In fact, many recipes tell you to discard the veggies once the broth is done, though others say to puree the veggies and return them to the soup. You could in theory puree the veggies and add them to another soup, but what would be the point? You could certainly not make a soup with any taste out of veggies that have already been "cooked out".

MMCH

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:14 am
hmm zaq...you make a good point

thanks.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:32 pm
I add my veggies to my chicken soup halfway through cooking, and cook them for only 1 hour.
I believe my veggies still have their vitamins in them. And they definitely taste yummy.

You can make a great pureed veggie soup with the leftover veggies from your chicken soup.
Saute chopped onion and garlic. Add cooked veggies from chicken soup. Add water. Heat through. Season with salt to taste.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:35 pm
we just eat them with our soup ~ yumm

when I make a vegetable soup ~ I start from scratch ~ yumm

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:39 pm
I always puree them with a stick blender, and then add them back in. It's the only way I can get DD and DH to eat veggies. You can't "pick out" puree!

Regardless of the nutrients being in the broth, you get valuable dietary fiber, it gives the soup a silky texture, and I do find that it adds a subtle layer of flavor that wouldn't be in there otherwise.

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:49 pm
Wouldn't tell you to make a brand new soup from it but if you hv leftover soup on Sunday why not cut up or puree the vegetables and add it to the chicken stock. I always do that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics