Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Making liver from scratch
1  2  Next

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:17 pm
I would like to make liver but I remember there was some sort of kashrus issue. It says on the liver that it must be broiled. How can this be done. Does anything need to be kashered?

real israeli

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:23 pm
I don't think it's possible to buy liver in a kosher store that was not already koshered. It needs to be done within the first few hours (I think 3 days but not sure if I'm remembering correctly)

smss

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:32 pm
it's complicated, I think. I was going to do it once but got scared off. Smile

definitely it's not a matter of putting it in your oven on broil, you need a special pan and anything the blood touches becomes treif....

ally

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:39 pm
We've done it on a disposable bbq.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:40 pm
Interesting

This was on my husband's Dirshu exam this week
We prepare for it together , so I know this ... Yay

Take liver, wash thoroughly . Make a few slits in it.
Put in a grate over an open fire so blood drips down
Wash again and salt lightly

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:42 pm
If you kasher (broil) liver more than 72 hours after the animal is shechted you can't recook it after. No frying it with onions, etc.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 1:58 pm
it's not as hard as you think ... but it's very smelly ~ just sayin'

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 2:55 pm
real israeli wrote:
I don't think it's possible to buy liver in a kosher store that was not already koshered. It needs to be done within the first few hours (I think 3 days but not sure if I'm remembering correctly)

You certainly can here in Chicago.

smss

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 2:57 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
real israeli wrote:

You certainly can here in Chicago.

also in israel.

tizunabi

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 3:01 pm
if you are sfardi it is apparently easier, though I don't know the halachot exactly.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:24 pm
Liver from the shecting places are not kashered. Some stores may kasher them, many don't. If you but a case of chicken, and there are livers packaged separartelyin the case, they are likely not kashered. The packaging will say if they are kashered or not.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:22 pm
Just buy kashered liver

su7kids

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:21 am
Liver can be FROZEN but has to be kashered immediately upon defrosting (cannot be left another day).

I do it regularly.

Being that the blood and anything it touches becomes treif, I have used my gas stove. I take off the grate and line the whole stove top with foil. Then I have a special grill (like the ones used for hamburgers, with two sides, it closes like a sandwich). You put the liver in that and its dripping all the time, so make sure its on foil while you're doing it. sprinkle it with kosher salt

Then you put on your gas stove (cannot be done on electric) and you hold the grate over the flames until the blood stops dripping. it does take quite a while. You keep moving the grate around so all parts of the liver are getting kashered.

Once its stopped dripping, y ou can open the grate and make sure the pieces inside are also no longer dripping. Then you can take the liver off the grate (I sometimes have to pry it off with a fork) and you can only clean the grate by either continuing to have the fire burn it or wash it away from your kitchen. (Definitely not in the dishwasher).

Then you can make chopped liver with it, by then frying onions in oil, boiling eggs, and grinding the now kashered liver with the eggs and onions and add more oil and salt and pepper and EAT, its YUM (If you like liver!)

You cannot broil it inside your oven, because it then makes the oven treif (you can't use a treif oven either), it must be done over a flame.

A disposable bbq is also a good idea, but then you must dispose of it.

let me know if you have any more questions.

SRK

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 3:32 am
su7kids wrote:
Liver can be FROZEN but has to be kashered immediately upon defrosting (cannot be left another day).

I do it regularly.

Being that the blood and anything it touches becomes treif, I have used my gas stove. I take off the grate and line the whole stove top with foil. Then I have a special grill (like the ones used for hamburgers, with two sides, it closes like a sandwich). You put the liver in that and its dripping all the time, so make sure its on foil while you're doing it. sprinkle it with kosher salt

Then you put on your gas stove (cannot be done on electric) and you hold the grate over the flames until the blood stops dripping. it does take quite a while. You keep moving the grate around so all parts of the liver are getting kashered.

Once its stopped dripping, y ou can open the grate and make sure the pieces inside are also no longer dripping. Then you can take the liver off the grate (I sometimes have to pry it off with a fork) and you can only clean the grate by either continuing to have the fire burn it or wash it away from your kitchen. (Definitely not in the dishwasher).

Then you can make chopped liver with it, by then frying onions in oil, boiling eggs, and grinding the now kashered liver with the eggs and onions and add more oil and salt and pepper and EAT, its YUM (If you like liver!)

You cannot broil it inside your oven, because it then makes the oven treif (you can't use a treif oven either), it must be done over a flame.

question- I'm planning on doing this next week. I'm going to take off the grates but what about the pieces that are on top of the fire? those little round things? Do I have to take them off? sorry I don't remember what thye are called...

ally

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 4:00 am
su7kids wrote:

I do it regularly.

I know that with meat, the idea that freezing "freezes" the time between shchita and kashering is not universally accepted. Many hold that three days is three days and freezing doesn't change that. I am not sure if it is the same with liver.

Liba

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 5:18 am
SRK wrote:

question- I'm planning on doing this next week. I'm going to take off the grates but what about the pieces that are on top of the fire? those little round things? Do I have to take them off? sorry I don't remember what thye are called...

Please speak with your rav and ask him your shaylos.

su7kids

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 9:43 am
{quote]question- I'm planning on doing this next week. I'm going to take off the grates but what about the pieces that are on top of the fire? those little round things? Do I have to take them off? sorry I don't remember what thye are called...[/quote]

I have never removed them, since they don't remove on my stove, and then let the fire burn afterwards to clean them. But that's more a halachic shayla than just a "how to" question, because I don't know if with the blood dripping on it, it becomes treif and unkasherable, so definitely ask your Rav.

su7kids

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 9:45 am
ally wrote:

I know that with meat, the idea that freezing "freezes" the time between shchita and kashering is not universally accepted. Many hold that three days is three days and freezing doesn't change that. I am not sure if it is the same with liver.

I believe the case with liver is that it must be kashered immediately, unlike meat which you can take out of the freezer and leave until the next day or something, although most meet you buy these days is already kashered. Again, that is more a halachic question than a "how to" question, so ask your Rav.

SRK

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:40 am
Thanks

merelyme

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 4:25 pm
If you are considering kashering liver, PLEASE ask your Rabbi...

naturalmom5 wrote:
Take liver, wash thoroughly . Make a few slits in it.
Put in a grate over an open fire so blood drips down
Wash again and salt lightly

Chicken liver does not have to have slits made in it - that's for beef liver and other livers that are a large piece.
The minhag is to salt the liver before broiling it, not after. The liver should be washed before kashering, and rinsed three times after. If you kasher the liver in batches, you must kasher the grates between each batch, and also after the final batch.

ally wrote:

Liver must be kashered within 72 hours of shechitah.

Do ask your Rabbi, please.

-merelyme, as myself and as mod
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking