Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Please help! I hate Windows 8! Can I get Windows 7?
1  2  Next

groisamomma

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 8:39 pm
I hate the apps look and the way everything I need to view as a pdf opens full-screen like an app. I hate that I can't open a pdf and a word document at the same time when I need them both together. I hate having to log onto the computer using a Microsoft email address that Windows made me create when I opened the computer for the first time. I hate Windows 8.

Is there a way to get Windows 7 on a computer that I bought with Windows 8? Sort of like to revert to an older version of Windows?

Any help is appreciated.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 8:53 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I hate the apps look and the way everything I need to view as a pdf opens full-screen like an app. I hate that I can't open a pdf and a word document at the same time when I need them both together. I hate having to log onto the computer using a Microsoft email address that Windows made me create when I opened the computer for the first time. I hate Windows 8.

Is there a way to get Windows 7 on a computer that I bought with Windows 8? Sort of like to revert to an older version of Windows?

Any help is appreciated.

Over a million people have the same complaint as you.
Microsoft is updating Windows 8 in response to all the complaints. ..

groisamomma

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 9:15 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
groisamomma wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Over a million people have the same complaint as you.
Microsoft is updating Windows 8 in response to all the complaints. ..

Thank you for responding. I am so frustrated! I am trying to view a PDF and it swings open in this ridiculous full-screen, black background view that I can only get out of by going back to Start. Then it disappears and I have no idea where the document is! I need to be able to view Word and the PDF simultaneously. This is the most frustrating thing ever.

I have 15 days to return this new laptop to Best Buy and I am really, really unhappy with it because of Windows 8. Do you know if I can somehow downgrade to Windows 7--like a download or something?

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 9:38 pm
Same here. I have the same complaints. I'm told they're making windows 8.1 to address everyone's issues with this version.

emama

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 9:38 pm
Sorry, I don't know about downloading windows 7, but we just bought a laptop with windows 7, due to the complaints about windows 8. It was a bit harder to find, but they are out there.

acemom

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:42 pm
For a quick solution to the issue you are facing, try dragging the screen with your pdf to the left. You should be getting a dividing line where your screen splits so you can work on different programs simultaneously.

ETA: You can also try working only with the desktop (old) versus the metro (new) version and see if it makes a difference.

rw555

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:48 pm
This might be helpful

http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....2ce5c

gamanit

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:57 pm
In our office we purchased a computer with Windows 8, and then found out some programs we need for work were not compatible with it. After about an hour on the phone with Microsoft and Dell I found out that there was no way to take a computer that was built for Windows 8 and downgrade it. We returned it and got a Windows 7 computer instead.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:12 am
Dang. In the market for a new computer and the one I want only comes in Windows 8. Sigh.

I heard that it's the way of the future and worth the learning curve.

I know there's a way to switch to a view that's more like the old way, doesn't change the OS itself but the look is more traditional. Does that help the PDF viewing issue?

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:20 am
You don't have to set up a microsoft account or give any email address - I set mine up and just skipped that screen.

ABC

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:33 am
If it's open full screen on a pdf, you can always flip between screens by holding down 'Alt' then pressing on 'Tab' to flick through all the windows you have open. I hope this helps.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:08 pm
acemom wrote:
For a quick solution to the issue you are facing, try dragging the screen with your pdf to the left. You should be getting a dividing line where your screen splits so you can work on different programs simultaneously.

ETA: You can also try working only with the desktop (old) versus the metro (new) version and see if it makes a difference.

#1 didn't work; I tried that the first thing.

I am in the desktop only, but the viewer swings away from it and to get back to it I have to keep going through Start. There's no taskbar when the viewer is open.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:09 pm
ABC wrote:
If it's open full screen on a pdf, you can always flip between screens by holding down 'Alt' then pressing on 'Tab' to flick through all the windows you have open. I hope this helps.

That only works in Adobe, which I ended up downloading. That doesn't work with the doc viewer that comes with Windows 8.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:11 pm
TzipporahN wrote:
You don't have to set up a microsoft account or give any email address - I set mine up and just skipped that screen.

Can you tell me how to undo it? I closed my Microsoft account a few minutes after setup, yet the home screen (where you sign on when you open the computer) still lists my email address and under it asks for the password.

I don't want any email address there when I open my computer...just a simple Password line and nothing else. Banging head

Do you know how to do that?

Last edited by groisamomma on Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:13 pm
seeker wrote:
Dang. In the market for a new computer and the one I want only comes in Windows 8. Sigh.

I heard that it's the way of the future and worth the learning curve.

I know there's a way to switch to a view that's more like the old way, doesn't change the OS itself but the look is more traditional. Does that help the PDF viewing issue?

Viewing it the old way is by selecting Desktop on Windows 8. There are so many other problems besides for that. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to shut down the stupid thing...turns out you have to use the Charms Bar (very un-charming and time-consuming, if you ask me). Three steps just to turn the computer off.

I'm not one to resist the future, but this is intolerable.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:14 pm
gamanit wrote:
In our office we purchased a computer with Windows 8, and then found out some programs we need for work were not compatible with it. After about an hour on the phone with Microsoft and Dell I found out that there was no way to take a computer that was built for Windows 8 and downgrade it. We returned it and got a Windows 7 computer instead.

I will return this one on Thursday. I'm starting to look for one with Windows 7 now. Sigh.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:18 pm
rw555 wrote:
This might be helpful

http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....2ce5c

This link is wonderful!

I am going to try all of these tonight and see if it doesn't make my life easier...I am so frustrated right now Exploding anger

justmarried

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 7:21 pm
At work we had a windows 8 computer that we hated. It recently got a virus and j brought it to someone to fix. He said he can uninstall windows 8 and out in windows 7. He had to save all programs, docs...but he did it! He did charge over $100 for it though.

AinOdMilvado

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 7:00 am
if not having a start button on your desktop annoys you go to ninite.com and download their "classic start" (as well as any other program you want) - it saved me from alot of my windows 8 frustrations!

with a smile :)

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 8:27 am
DON'T upgrade to 8.1. It made the computer completely unusable and we had to downgrade - took hours and hours and lots of grey hairs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics