Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah recipe using the bosch?

MMCH

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 10:53 am
ive been making the Kosher By Design challah, the one you make by hand..

looking to make one now with a bosch.
thanks

SS6099

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 11:50 am
I use Devorah Heller's recipe for my Bosch and it's fantastic. Do a search here and you'll find it.

boro parker

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 11:56 am
SS6099 wrote:
I use Devorah Heller's recipe for my Bosch and it's fantastic. Do a search here and you'll find it.

I use her recipe too, but it's pretty sweet so cut on the sugar if you don't want such a sweet dough.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:02 am
I know this is an old thread, but if someone can post the recipe or the link it will be greatly appreciated. Also exact instructions on how to make challah in the Bosch. TIA

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:32 am
Don't have that recipe,* but if you use the silver bowl (recommended for mixing large quantities of dough), make sure to put the dry ingredients first, otherwise liquids can seep through the hole in the bottom.

*(I have my own that uses 6 lb flour if you're interested)

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 9:40 am
poelmamosh wrote:
Don't have that recipe,* but if you use the silver bowl (recommended for mixing large quantities of dough), make sure to put the dry ingredients first, otherwise liquids can seep through the hole in the bottom.

*(I have my own that uses 6 lb flour if you're interested)

Thanks, these are things I need to know. I haven't opened the box yet, but the metal bowl with dough hook doesn't have a "Tips" booklet

Yes please, but if it's sweet, I can't use it. Sephardim consider sweet challah mezzonot.
Please write instruction for "challah for dummies". I'm one of the worst challah bakers.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 10:58 am
This is essentially a water challah recipe. Here's exactly how I do it:
In the silver bowl with hook attached, I place:

3.5 lb white whole wheat flour
(I eyeball it, but if you do it cup by cup, it should be around 10 cups OR if you are using white flour, about 12 cups)

2.5 tablespoons dry yeast
(if you use packets, use 4. I don't bother proofing. If I would use fresh yeast, I would)

2 tablespoons salt
(don't put it in proximity to the yeast, it can kill it. I put them each on different sides of the bowl)

1/2 cup demarrera sugar, or sweetener of choice (you can do less or more. I do, based on my mood Smile.

Place the outer cover ring on the bowl and add:

6 cups lukewarm water
(I do a mix of heated water and cold tap water, as my hot water pipe is not filtered--1 cup hot water to 5 cups cold)

1 cup canola oil

1 extra large egg
(when I have vegan or allergic guests, I replace the egg with an additional 1/4 cup oil, but I find the one egg makes the dough much more stable and less likely to fall once risen.)

Mix all ingredients on low until no flour lumps remain, about 3 minutes.

Add white high-gluten flour a cup at a time (about 8-10 cups total, the amount varies, based on humidity and other factors I know nothing about Confused) The final consistency should be soft and slightly sticky. I mix as I go, and I stop when I see that the more liquid-y mixture from the bottom of the bowl has been just incorporated into the dough, but be careful not to add too much.

Let the dough knead in the machine 5-8 minutes. I do not put the cover insert on top, it can cause the whole cover to pop off and break. The dough is ready when it is stretchy enough to be separated a few inches without breaking. I remove the cover ring, add a bit of oil and give the machine a half spin and cover with a clean dishtowel, until the dough rises till doubled. (Depending on the temp. in the kitchen, this can take from 1/2 hr to 1.5 hours). The dough will rise out of the bowl and onto the countertop, if this bothers you, you can transfer it to a very large mixing bowl to rise.

I then take challah and shape the loaves, using plain white flour to dust/coat each strand before braiding (this is important so the braid keeps its shape as it rises, but too much can make the dough tough. I use foil loaf pans lined with parchment paper to make the challas grow nice and high (the 1 lb size). I let the challahs grow til almost doubled, egg the outside with wash (1 egg, 1 tbsp water), sprinkle with sesame seed and put in non-heated oven (as the oven preheats, the challahs will continue to grow. If you wait too long to egg and place, the dough, which is somewhat delicate--even more so if you leave out the egg, can collapse).

I convection bake at 350 for about 40 minutes on the top rack (leave room for them to grow, though). I remove from the pans almost immediately so it stays crisp (the foil pan makes the challahs sweat). If I want to freeze some challahs, I bake a few min less and put in the freezer in ziplocs while still warm.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:13 am
Wow thanks for posting
How many regular large challahs do you get from this recipe?
Can I use 100% whole wheat flour ?
Can I use olive oil instead of canola?
Can I make the dough, shape, and freeze raw?
You let it rise in the Bosch?
What can I do to get a soft crust.

asd3

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 11:29 am
I make rebetzin kanievsky's challa from the by cookbook in my Bosch. Her recipe says to do the liquid first and I have no problems with liquid coming thru the hole if everything is on tight just make sure you use the gasket it comes with. I also let it rise in the bowl I just spray Pam around the sides so it doesn't stick

mom92

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 12:02 pm
I brought my bowl back to the store, and they tightened it so it doesn't leask anymore

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:09 pm
[quote="cbg"]How many regular large challahs do you get from this recipe?
Quote:
Can I use 100% whole wheat flour ?

Are you talking about regular whole wheat flour? Yes, it will make the dough darker though and have more of the unique whole wheat taste. White whole wheat is all whole wheat, just a different color and texture (less grainy) Have you tried it? When I do make all (white) whole wheat, I add an extra 1/2 tbsp yeast. But I like making it this way for guests who are not used to healthier challah.
Quote:
Can I use olive oil instead of canola?

I'd say yes to light olive oil.
Quote:
Can I make the dough, shape, and freeze raw?

Yes, but the braids may lose their shape. I used to do this and then take out of the freezer in the morn and wait til it defrosts & rises (many hours) before baking. I think though that if you are not planning on baking it all, you might have a problem with a bracha. AYLOR. The other thing I do sometimes (short Fridays) is make the dough Thursday, put it in the fridge, punch it down before bed, take it out in the morning, shape and let rise (it takes longer, cuz the dough is cold) and bake.
Quote:
You let it rise in the Bosch?
Yes, I put bowl on the counter. It grows over the sides, though.
Quote:
What can I do to get a soft crust.
Bake it at a lower temperature for a bit longer, maybe?

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:12 pm
asd3 wrote:
I have no problems with liquid coming thru the hole if everything is on tight just make sure you use the gasket it comes with. I also let it rise in the bowl I just spray Pam around the sides so it doesn't stick

You might be right. Til last year, I had my Grandma's bosch (40 yrs+) and had this problem and I just thought it was a good precaution to continue taking.

blueberrypie

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:00 pm
I also make the hand challah recipe from Kosher by Design and my family loves it!! I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to convert it to use with the Bosch! TIA!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 8:25 pm
blueberrypie wrote:
I also make the hand challah recipe from Kosher by Design and my family loves it!! I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to convert it to use with the Bosch! TIA!

After proofing the yeast, just alternate wet and dry ingredients in the Bosch. Then run it on #1 for 15 minutes. Let rise and continue with recipe.

blueberrypie

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 9:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
After proofing the yeast, just alternate wet and dry ingredients in the Bosch. Then run it on #1 for 15 minutes. Let rise and continue with recipe.

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads