Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has anyone been to Reb. Aidel Miller to remove ayin hara?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 10:31 am
No, I don't want to but there is the concept of being low key about things, e.g. Yaakov telling the shevatim not to enter Mitzrayim as one group. So on some level I believe it exists, I guess. (Not that I'm Frumdoc, nor am I trying to play her on Imamother.)

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 1:20 pm
Egypt was the reigning empire of its time, devoting major resources to neutralizing hostile forces from within and without, ever alert for the possibility of foreign invasion. All reigning empires have to defend their borders.

Yaakov Avinu was a master strategist. He knew that a large cadre of foreigners gaining entry to Egypt at the same time in the same place would be interpreted as an invasion or as an act preliminary to an invasion and cause the brothers to be arrested, imprisoned or worse. Entering in dribs and drabs was the logical way to stay under the radar.

Furthermore, even where one is not at risk of being charged with espionage, staying low key and trying not to call attention to oneself is all in line with "hatznea lechet". There's no need to look to the supernatural to make sense of Yaakov's instructions.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 1:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Frumdoc, why would you WANT to believe in ayin hora? You find it comforting to believe that a malicious person could cause you harm from afar?
Probably not, but it must be comforting to believe that all your problems can be removed by giving someone some cash to perform voodoo. If I weren't ideologically opposed to this belief, I'd want it too. Much neater than real life.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 1:36 pm
OP here. Let me explain what made me a believer of ayin hara. Up until that point I would always tell people, if you don't believe in it, it will not come to be....
Then things changed. I have a relative who is obviously very jealous of me, even though he has more money than I'll ever have, bli ayin hara, also his "apartment" is twice the size of my little old house. We have two old cars, one bar mitzvah age (13) and one bas mitzvah age (12 yrs. old). He doesn't own a car. We live in a small community where without a car you are lost. The nearest kosher bakery is about two miles away from here. And public transportation is practically non-existent. My relative lives in a large city where buses and subways run constantly so most people or at least many people do not drive. And there are kosher supermarkets practically on every street corner, a very frum, Jewish community. So he once commented how he must walk alot and pay for public transportation while we can go everywhere by car. Gas is free??? Anyway, the very next day, our car broke down, and while it was at the repair shop, car #2 would not start! He said something about our house, since he rents, and the next day our roof was leaking in.... The list goes on an on...so I figured it was time to check things out. That's MY story. I'd love to hear YOURS. The Rebbetzin found alot of ayin haras, so to speak, but after she did her thing, she sent me home with alot of Tefillos and segulos which I have been saying religiously. What can be so bad about saying extra tefillos???

octopus

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 1:39 pm
I'm wondering what you all think ayin hora is.

to my knowledge, ayin hora happens when a beis din in shamayim judges a person using a midas of din (vs rachamim). this is caused through the words of lashon hora or through showing off. for example, breindy and chana are talking about shira. they are saying she is so rich,look at all the nice things she has, blah, blah. A mekatreg (prosecuter malach) in shamayim is arroused and says, "does shira really deserve all this wealth? let's judge her and see if she is deserving." Then a din in shamayim takes place- and usually no one can win a judgement when just using midas hadin. we need midas harachamim. but talk like that does not arouse the midas harachamim. so when shira loses her wealth because of all the ppl talking about her- then I guess you can call it "ayin hora". but it is not vooodoo. I feel skeptical about the removal of ayin hora.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 2:19 pm
seeker wrote:
zaq wrote:
Frumdoc, why would you WANT to believe in ayin hora? You find it comforting to believe that a malicious person could cause you harm from afar?
Probably not, but it must be comforting to believe that all your problems can be removed by giving someone some cash to perform voodoo. If I weren't ideologically opposed to this belief, I'd want it too. Much neater than real life.

Very true.
I am philosophically opposed to pay-for-pray schemes (dodging bullets from adherents of a certain tzedaka that shall remain nameless), too.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 2:26 pm
amother with the house and car, if you had a different philosophy, you'd have had your mezuzahs checked. Just saying...(I'm philosophically opposed to the belief that bad luck comes from having possul mezuzahs, but at least there you can stretch a point and reason that you failed to keep a mitzvah in all its particulars and therefore incurred punishment. I'm philosophically opposed to the "check your mezuzahs if you're having tzores" thing because that makes a mezuzah into a kind of good-luck charm rather than a symbol of devotion to the KBH and adherence to the mitzvot.)

amother

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 3:09 pm
Every morning when we way the brochos, so there follows Veyehee Ratzon...where we ask that Hashem keep us far away from a bad person, a bad friend. And the paragraph following that one starts with Yehee Ratzon...that Hashem should save us from Ayin Hara....so can those of you who don't believe in ayin hara explain what that tefillah is all about????

amother

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 3:19 pm
OP here...the first thing I did when things were getting totally out of control was to have my mezuzos checked and also DH's Tefillin....
So let me ask another question. If someone has ten kids and someone asks them how many kids they have, should they say "I have ten children," or should they say, "I have ten children ka"h." Why are they saying ka"h, if ayin hara does not exist????
In any case, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't believe so much in the removal of the ayin hara "per se" as I do in the segulos I received after the removal of the ayin hara to prevent them from returning....

amother

Post Sat, Nov 16 2013, 3:05 pm
Does anyone have her number in Israel?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
Every morning when we way the brochos, so there follows Veyehee Ratzon...where we ask that Hashem keep us far away from a bad person, a bad friend. And the paragraph following that one starts with Yehee Ratzon...that Hashem should save us from Ayin Hara....so can those of you who don't believe in ayin hara explain what that tefillah is all about????

1) My siddur doesn't mention ayin hara. Standard Artscroll Nusach Ashkenaz.
2) In case you're using some other nusach and it does indeed mention ayin hara, here are two possibilities:
a) the original (early Talmudic times) usage of the phrase "ayin hara" meant stinginess, so this could be a prayer to either help you not feel stingy or to save you from stingy people (not from voodoo eyes)
b) Since it is not in all siddurim, maybe whoever added it into yours was influenced by fallacious beliefs.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
OP here...the first thing I did when things were getting totally out of control was to have my mezuzos checked and also DH's Tefillin....
So let me ask another question. If someone has ten kids and someone asks them how many kids they have, should they say "I have ten children," or should they say, "I have ten children ka"h." Why are they saying ka"h, if ayin hara does not exist????
In any case, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't believe so much in the removal of the ayin hara "per se" as I do in the segulos I received after the removal of the ayin hara to prevent them from returning....

If the person does not believe in ayin hara, then no, they should not say "KA"H"
If they do believe in ayin hara, then good luck to them, because it seems like everything "is an ayin hara."

sarahd

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 4:19 am
zaq wrote:
amother with the house and car, if you had a different philosophy, you'd have had your mezuzahs checked. Just saying...(I'm philosophically opposed to the belief that bad luck comes from having possul mezuzahs, but at least there you can stretch a point and reason that you failed to keep a mitzvah in all its particulars and therefore incurred punishment. I'm philosophically opposed to the "check your mezuzahs if you're having tzores" thing because that makes a mezuzah into a kind of good-luck charm rather than a symbol of devotion to the KBH and adherence to the mitzvot.)

But zaq, it's known that mezuzos serve as shemira (this is from the gemara, IINM, not kabbala or voodoo, ch"v). If the mezuza is invalid, it can no longer serve as shemira, ergo bad things can happen. Nothing to do with punishments for not doing mitzvos.

sarahd

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 4:38 am
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:

2) In case you're using some other nusach and it does indeed mention ayin hara, here are two possibilities:
a) the original (early Talmudic times) usage of the phrase "ayin hara" meant stinginess, so this could be a prayer to either help you not feel stingy or to save you from stingy people (not from voodoo eyes)
b) Since it is not in all siddurim, maybe whoever added it into yours was influenced by fallacious beliefs.

Standard Nusach Sefard does include ayin hara and from the context it certainly seems to refer to ayin hara as we understand it today. If you believe that the Arizal was influenced by fallacious beliefs....

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 8:45 am
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:

Same here, Siddur Rinat Yisrael Nusach Ashkenaz.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 9:50 am
sarahd wrote:
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:

Standard Nusach Sefard does include ayin hara and from the context it certainly seems to refer to ayin hara as we understand it today. If you believe that the Arizal was influenced by fallacious beliefs....
Actually, there is a scholarly opinion as such. But I don't think this is the time/place to go into it...

sarahd

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 9:54 am
Ah, a scholarly opinion. Who's the scholar?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 2:36 pm
Does ANYone have his phone number in Israel?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 7:45 pm
But, did anyone go to Aidel Miller to remove an ayin hara and was she successful? If you were having a difficult financial time, did she give you a break on her price? After you went, did your financial situation improve? Do you think that it's worthwhile going to her?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
But, did anyone go to Aidel Miller to remove an ayin hara and was she successful? If you were having a difficult financial time, did she give you a break on her price? After you went, did your financial situation improve? Do you think that it's worthwhile going to her?

I know someone Rabbi Bloch helped with marriage problems. He charges almost nothing. 7183020318. Hatzlocha.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics