Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostess Gift: Would you rather get flowers/chocolate/dish???
Previous  1  2  3

Bruria

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 3:23 pm
Come on!What can beat CHOCOLATE?!!
Very Happy

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 4:10 pm
Actually, flowers on a chocolate dish, or chocolate flowers on a dish, both sound great.

Talking of positive spins, which we weren't--whoever named those ugly brown stones "chocolate diamonds" was a genius.

wispalover

Post Sat, Nov 16 2013, 2:43 pm
My aunt came for Shabbat with her family and bought me this game. It is popular with EVERYONE.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiggles-.....16L68

red sea

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:22 pm
So far only gift everyone will keep are the wine or fruit. Good to know.

4dsmc72

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:37 pm
This past Shabbos I had guest who bought 3 dipping bowls filled with chocolate! it is really nice

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:44 pm
omg ~ if someone bought me a cookbook - I would be completed insulted ...

I'll take wine, whiskey or beer, chocolates for the kids

לחיים Drunken Smile

if you want to bring them wrapped in dish towels it's a plus

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:49 pm
I love getting fruit as a gift. Wine is also good, mostly keep it for cooking though (or re-gifting embarrassed if we end up with one too many). I'd also appreciate a nice dish, because we don't have too many, but I can imagine some people would have too many and not want the clutter. I love getting candy and chocolate too though, because I'm a big kid. In fact, I'd appreciate any gift that's socially acceptable. I.e. not something insulting or weird.

Re: Flowers, I like them, but it does feel like a waste of money!

etky

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 3:52 pm
We also got chocolate from a sleep over guest this Shabbat. At least I think we did. I just decided to try one and saw that everyone else in the family must have availed themselves quite liberally because the container is now empty. Too late...

bubbebia

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 4:39 pm
Personally, I'd go for chocolate all the way because good kosher chocolates are non-existent where I live. But I really don't care. To me, the thought is more important than the gift. Recently we received salad servers from 2 guests (which unbeknownst to them were desperately needed), a subscription to Joy of Kosher from another, wine, a beautiful house plant. All really appreciated for the thought. I like to bring something homemade--generally desserty since I am a cookie and pie baker. Depends on whether I am going for just a meal or will be a houseguest. A nice idea is to get a beautiful baking dish and bake a cake in it, giving the whole thing as a hostess gift!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:29 pm
I wish people would stop bringing us wine. We like grape juice. If we get invited out then we re-gift the wine bottles. Otherwise the whole collection gets re-gifted on purim.

red sea

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
I wish people would stop bringing us wine. We like grape juice. If we get invited out then we re-gift the wine bottles. Otherwise the whole collection gets re-gifted on purim.

I won't cross off the wine yet because even though you don't like it is saves you lots of money each purim

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:

I love it when people bring wine. Saves me the expense and tircha of buying a gift when we eat out. Chocolate will vanish and a cake won't last, but a good bottle of wine can hang around for a long time. If we don't regift it, we can use it for the seder. Most wines are KLP all year round.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 8:15 pm
Wine.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 7:42 am
amother wrote:

I'm not a big wine drinker but did it occur to you that your guests may like wine? Serve it to them.

Or, I cook with it. Nothing beats a splash of wine in some pasta sauce.

Plus, its always handy when you need a gift for someone else, as Zaq says.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 9:37 am
funny story:

a lady came over to me and asked what to do with the wine the dxh gave them for purim because it had no label ... she continued to ask if she could cook with it ...

knowing how hard my kids & the dxh work to make the wine my response was 'give it back'

[now why on earth she asked me - I'm not quite sure]

willow

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 10:10 am
Everyone loves something different

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 6:58 pm
I prefer nothing. happy faces, thats all. I dont feel a guest should have the burden to buy me something, I want it to be my generous hosting with no payback,

Maybe a small note after shabbos?

if must bring something, (and please DO NOT), Wine maybe. (please not an expensive one, Junesse is our fave.) $11 is the most we would accept. I did ask guests to take back their gifts, and please not to buy anything in the future, and to come back soon!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics