Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Am I reading too much into this?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:20 pm
So we have a couple of bochurim for a Shabbos seudah, & we're discussing how my husband manages without a cell phone (just fine, actually, it's more how do I manage?) And I tell them he does have a pager, and I can page him, for example, if he's in the store & I forgot to ask him to pick up milk, I page him
8 = Ches 30= Lamed 2= Bais = Chalav. He usually gets it just fine, except once before Purim when I needed jam for hamentaschen & I put in gimmel mem, and he bought GUM, which we never ever buy!

So the bochur says (sort of to me, so I don't think the rest of the people at the table heard), oh, like you can put in 613, it's mitzvah time.

Okay, ladies. What is your reaction? Am I seeing a double entendre where none was meant?

deena19k

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:23 pm
I don't get it.

Last edited by deena19k on Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:23 pm
You might be...but either way I would ignore it. What can you do about it anyway?

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:25 pm
Ya! He probably meant what you think he did. Just ignore it.

forever21

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:39 pm
It took a few minutes but I got the joke. I think its a stupid joke and it came out of nowhere. This guy obviously has one thing on his mind.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:42 pm
totally inappropriate.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:53 pm
Quote:
What can you do about it anyway?
I just thought maybe my husband should know since he has some educational responsibility for this bochur. More than just totally inappropriate anywhere, but at your rebbe's Shabbos table? To your rebbe's wife? C'mon. Either the guy has a screw loose or is so clueless that he has no idea what is appropriate... Or we should worry that he's watching/selling [filth] in the dorm?

Should I explain for those who don't get it or not spoil it for those who will get it eventually?

So far everyone who gets it thinks I'm right.

I had to explain it to DH.

So, SPOILER ALERT:
Hidden: 

If you went to an MO school, you knew that Friday night is "Mitzvah Night" - referring to mitzvas onah. I doubt anyone from a more right wing school would get that reference, which is why DH was What and really didn't believe me when I asked him if he thinks that's what the guy meant.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 4:59 pm
I didn't go to a mo school but we also refer to relations as a mitzva.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:04 pm
Quote:

Well, of course it's a mitzah, but it's only one of 613. The question is, is that what's being implied?

Would you say, oh, the Chanukah Menorah is ready, it's Mitzva Time?

IOW, does saying Mitzva Time, in your mind, automatically have that association?
Does your DH ask if you'd like to do a mitzvah now?

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:05 pm
How old is he? Because teenagers sometimes say stupid things that come to their mind, and I'm sure that if he thought about it as an adult he would want to kick himself for letting that out of his mouth. Your conversation with him allowed him into a personal part of your life (messages you send your husband), so he probably just said the stupid thing that came into his mind.

He was trying to be funny, but was inappropriate. Just let it go.

On a side note, get your husband a cell phone for his birthday!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:08 pm
Wow, a bucher who probably doesn't know you even so well to say that to you. Sure that's a right thing to say. I hope he made a mistake and thought he's talking to his friend, which is somewhat different

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:

IOW, does saying Mitzva Time, in your mind, automatically have that association?

No, but if I tell him about this thread I'm sure he will start, or maybe I will Cool

As for the bochur It's hard to tell if thats what he meant. Even though it is where my mind went when I read your story.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Well, of course it's a mitzah, but it's only one of 613. The question is, is that what's being implied?

Would you say, oh, the Chanukah Menorah is ready, it's Mitzva Time?

yes, if my husband says, Lets go and do a mitzva now, depending on the context, time, place, way he says it, etc it usually means s-x.

BUT I don't think I knew this meaning before marriage.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:27 pm
ewwwww

Happy18

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:30 pm
He most likely meant what you think he meant.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, a bucher who probably doesn't know you even so well to say that to you. Sure that's a right thing to say. I hope he made a mistake and thought he's talking to his friend, which is somewhat different

sorry I meant to say not right to say.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 6:00 pm
Just another stupid teenager saying what stupid teenagers say. Of course that's all he has on his mind. It's what all teenage boys (and girls too) have on their minds. Ignore it. He'll think you just didn't get what he was talking about.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 6:05 pm
I think he meant what you heard.

As a mother of a boy in yeshiva who has his social issues (not that I think my DS would EVER say something like that to his rebbe's wife!!), I would want your DH to talk to him.

It is a good opportunity for him to learn something, both directly, from the mussar shmooze, and indirectly, from realizing by his own discomfort in the subject being raised, how uncomfortable it would be for another. Less refined boys may say such things to each other, but never ever blurt what he did. I think he should have the opportunity to grow from it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 6:31 pm
people say stupid things all the time - there is no reason to embarrass him further as he's probably already kicking himself from the time it popped out of his mouth - let it go ...

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 7:01 pm
We don't know that. And unless he learns from his mistake, he may repeat it in a more costly situation, like a job interview, or a shidduch date.

Hindsight is 20-20, but any time anyone says something inappropriate to you, I think the best response is, "EXCUSE ME?", and a cold stare. Right in the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics