Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Would u let a stranger sleep on ur shoulder?

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 8:25 pm
http://youtu.be/VzQ4FZTmR8s

Now this is funny!

iluvy

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 8:35 pm
This is really nice. All I could think when I saw the original picture is I'm glad no one got a video of me bumping people off my shoulder - which I have to do at least once a week (my commute is 1:15 each way). Or discreetly stabbing guys in the knee with a sharp point I keep in my bag for when they decide they need to sit with their legs all the way apart and take up half my seat. You need to be aggressive about defending your personal space on the subway!

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 8:56 pm
No. I'm too jaded. I would be sure they're trying to:

a) pickpocket me
b) grope me
c) harass me
d) sleep off an alcohol binge
e) I don't care, I need my space!

Shana_H

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:01 pm
Absolutely not!

centurion

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:18 pm
I would and I have, though it depends who.

octopus

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:22 pm
ugh. I would not allow a big hairy man to fall asleep on my shoulder. *shudder*

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:43 pm
Of course not. Why do you think G-d gave us elbows?

Unfair question because no woman with any idea of personal safety would let a strange man sleep on her shoulder. But what if it were another woman, or a child? The answer might be different.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 2:17 am
Ew, no...they might have bedbugs or lice or something contagious.

vicki

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 2:28 am
I used to commute on the NYC subway to the World Trade Center for 1 hour each way. As soon as I realized someone's head was about to fall on my shoulder (true, a man would put me on alert faster than a woman or child) I would move my shoulder away and watch them jerk awake as their head free falls to an impossible angle.
I have also been known to hold my own with spread knees invading my space. It's amazing that I got dirty looks from them. I didn't move my legs into their space, I just didn't let them move me into a smaller and smaller space.
Of course, my head has fallen on other people occasionally too and I'm glad they were kinder to me that I was to others.
Oh, I miss the subway.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 2:44 am
If fell asleep on someone and they pushed me off, I would not only totally understand, I'd apologize profusely! embarrassed

No way would I let a stranger fall asleep on me. That's a great way to get lice. Not to mention HELLO, personal space!

On the other hand, it would be kinda funny to pretend to fall asleep against some big gangster type guy, and see what he does. Twisted Evil

sarahd

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 3:51 am
I have let women and children sleep on my shoulder, especially children. Men, no way!

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2013, 9:03 am
vicki wrote:

Oh, I miss the subway.

Sarcasm doesn't come through over the Internet.

vicki

Post Sat, Nov 16 2013, 12:49 pm
zaq wrote:
vicki wrote:

Oh, I miss the subway.

I was actually serious. I have fond memories of my years on the subway.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 16 2013, 7:05 pm
vicki wrote:
zaq wrote:
vicki wrote:

Oh, I miss the subway.

That must be because they're memories. Presumably distant enough to have been blurred by time. You probably wouldn't be quite so fond if you were still a straphanger.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 4:20 pm
I would & have - try riding greyhound ...

marshmellow

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 7:45 pm
No that is weird and I don't see what it has to do with helping people. People on public transport know that they cannot sleep the normal way, they simply shut their eyes. This is obviously acting anyway not real!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 8:39 pm
My ds once fell asleep on the train with his head on the Asian woman next to him. She didn't notice, though, because she was sleeping too. My bil saw and took a picture, then I quickly moved his head to my own lap. And he was the only person I've ever allowed to sleep on me on the subway. Nobody else has ever really tried, though I used to spend hours on the train each day. Unless I just don't remember.

iluvy

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 8:44 pm
marshmellow wrote:
No that is weird and I don't see what it has to do with helping people. People on public transport know that they cannot sleep the normal way, they simply shut their eyes. This is obviously acting anyway not real!

I always fall asleep on the subway! I simply can't stay awake. There's something about the movement, the stuffiness - plus the fact that it's my only chance to nap before I get home.

I have been bumped off people's shoulders many times. Fair's fair.

STovah

Post Sun, Nov 17 2013, 9:35 pm
zaq wrote:
vicki wrote:
zaq wrote:
vicki wrote:

Oh, I miss the subway.

That must be because they're memories. Presumably distant enough to have been blurred by time. You probably wouldn't be quite so fond if you were still a straphanger.

I actually miss my subway commute too. There's nothing quite like having 45 minutes to an hour to just sit (or hopefully get a spot leaning on the door) and read, daven, sleep, without being able to do anything else more pressing. My New Yorker magazines now pile up and get thrown out half-read, I don't have the time to say tehillim like I used to, and I come home from my driving commute a frazzled mess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links