Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanuka party quick yet impressive

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 10:32 am
I really want to host a chanukah dinner party. I've done it every year and my kids look forward to it. I'm the type that usually goes all out with the menu and decor. Takes me a lot of time to perfect. This year I don't have the time. I'm very busy and cant spend hours in the kitchen. Want to make a menu that can be put together in under 2 hours (preferably some of this 2 hours is able to be done in advance) but that's equally impressive. Anyone have any ideas? (I like mimis but dont have to be)

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 3:08 pm
Latkes - there are some types that could be made in advance
doughnuts - either make fresh or buy
salads - you can prepare the night before and dress and throw together right before party
crackers and dips
soup - can me made and frozen in advance
lasanga - ditto
garlic bread - make fresh
spinach and cheese borekas - I have an easy recipe that you can make in advance and freeze
cupcakes/cookies/cakes - make and freeze

boro parker

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 3:23 pm
Cheesecake prep time is less than 10 minutes and is just as good if made in advance.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 3:24 pm
Thanks for all those ideas but I really meant 2 hrs total prep time (not just the day of) I'm in school and at the ens of the the semester so have finals and exams the week of chanuka. Usually I'm a pretty good party planner but I've got no time to plan these days between my school work, and my kids...

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 4:28 pm
Can you hire teenage help?

Some other thoughts:

Buy everything frozen or premade.
Have a potluck and ask others to bring something
Make decoration be the first activity planned and let everyone help.

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 4:36 pm
Skip the latkes.

Do you live near a bagel store or grocery that sells bagels and donuts? Buy that with some spreads and cream cheese, tuna and egg salad. 2-3 salads (prepare the dressing the night before). Baked Ziti and/or lasagna-prepare in advance and freeze. Fettucinni Alfredo takes 5 minutes and is a real treat. Buy frozen blintzes, defrost and fry them out that day. Iced coffee or flavored coffee with the donuts and some cake or cookies from the freezer will round out the meal very nicely.

Don't spend too much time on the decor either. Chanukah paper goods will do very nicely. The kids won't care and tell the other adults how low-key you are doing it this year so they will not expect too much.

BTW-some of the advance can be doubled or tripled, and keep the rest in the freezer to serve your family for supper on a regular night.

(edited to add:) I also like the potluck idea. You don't have to do it all on your own. Ask guests to bring along a salad, which is a last minute job for you.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 4:45 pm
With TOTAL 2hour time, a dinner party sounds very ambitious unless you get most items catered or store bought. Would wine and cheese party work instead (crudité, dips, maybe just quiche to prepare)? Dessert buffet?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:17 pm
Dairy or meat? It's possible to do.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 6:02 pm
One of my ideas was a sunday brunch.
I'd serve Waffles, yougart bar (fresh fruit, granola etc to make yougart forfaits), bagels lox and cream cheese, coffee.
Desset: mini cheese cake cupcakes, mini cheese danish and doughnuts (so something for chanuka)
All I'd have to physically make would be the Waffles (which is easy in a waffle machine) and dessets, (and maybe homemeade granola)
But I'd prefer to make a dinner, and this wont work for dinner for certain male guest.
Cant do potluck. I thought about it before I posted here, but I'm too much of a control freak.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 6:07 pm
buy cheese and crackers
bought latkes
bought doughnuts
make a cheesecake
cook some salmon or other easy to cook fish
make a couple of salads - or do a salad bar
possibly: make a pasta dish (penne a la vodka is pretty easy)

You can also order in some pizza

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:28 pm
Plated salad - prepare the dressing in the fridge a few days before, easily assemble bagged lettuce, sliced red onion and grape tomatoes on each plate before party.

Soup - prepare and freeze in advance, defrost on the counter the night before, heat on low before party.

Baked main dish - either baked salmon, saucey chicken or stuffed chicken breasts - prepare ahead of time and freeze ready to bake - bake fresh right before party.

Dessert - make an ice cream cake in advance.

bubble gum

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:45 pm
I don't know if you're comfortable going this casual, but every year for the Purim seuda I have lots of people and I serve heroes. I set the table up nicely with fruit cup in a fancy stemmed cup to start (easy fruit cup made with canned fruit). Then the main dish is heroes- universally liked. I make it look nice- prepare it in the kitchen (I get 3-4 foot long breads) and put a long hero going down the center of each table. It looks impressive, but is definitely more casual. Then I always serve 2 big lettuce salads in trifle bows, and usually homemade potato salad, pasta salad, and coleslaw. Some years I made other finger foods like franks n blanks, chicken fingers, mini knishes...but its definitely not necessary. For dessert, I make hamentashen and one friend always brings a gorgeous trifle. Plus we put out chips etc.

Your party is more buffet style or do you set the table and serve the food?

elaela

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 8:51 am
yes I had the problem last year. it is possible: starter: wrap smoked iron around grissini and serve in a nice round vase. store bought dips served in martini glasses chives and paprika powder on top.

one day in advance I made tunasalad wraps. before the party I cut the rolls diagobally- looked great .

tomatoe soup (canned tomatoes, oliveoil, herbs basil onion powder soup mix, bring to boil , takes 10 minutes yummy. serve in nice plate and one spoon of cream and one leaf of basil on top.

salmon steak , olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, 20 mintes at 180 centigrade in the oven.

serve on salad leaves with mustard dressing (with creemcheese and dille) and baked potatoes.

for desert I made icecream, served it in nice cups and topped it with rasberry sauce and a mintleaf.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 4:23 pm
Okay, I'm going nuts here. What is smoked iron????

myself

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 4:29 pm
And, may I ask, what are heroes?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 9:22 pm
sarahd wrote:
Okay, I'm going nuts here. What is smoked iron????
Probably smoked salmon wrapped around grissini. Sounds like a good kosher knockoff for prosciutto wrapped grissini.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com......html

myself wrote:
And, may I ask, what are heroes?

A hero is a submarine sandwich, also known as a hoagie. You might know it as a deli stuffed baguette.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 9:42 pm
go for frozen chicken nuggets, franks-n-blanks, mini eggrolls, mini potatoe knishes - pop them in the oven - add some beer & you're set
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics