Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why french kids dont have ADHD...
1  2  Next

mom in france

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:38 pm
http://m.psychologytoday.com/b.....-adhd

Hi
Im quite new here so I dont know if I posted in the right section.. Anyway, I totallyagree withthe article posted, just that each side has to be balanced, the americans are very positive and loving but sometimes go too far and put too much control in the kids hands and the french disipline well but sometimes are not warm enough...

And I always believed that adhd is majorly caused by coloring and chemicals which is much more in abundance in the Usa...

mom in france

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:41 pm
Just to clarify I do NOT think that adhd is caused by bad discipline...just commenting on the discipline part of the article..

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:43 pm
Yes. It's true. Spanking cures ADHD.

mom in france

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:47 pm
I just found interesting the way they percieve the cause...

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:53 pm
That's ridiculous. I know several French people with obvious ADD. I worked with them. Doubt they were ever diagnosed but it certainly exists.

Maybe they stamp out ADHD with strong and early punishments. Don't think that works with the inattentiveness part of the disorder

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:53 pm
I couldn't agree more! True ADHD is real, but I think that a lot of the diagnoses and prescriptions just an easy out. Changing diet, learning parenting skills and being consistent are all very hard work, as is shlepping out to behavioral therapists appointments.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:56 pm
Not sure what inattention has anything to do with the above. If anyone can tell me how parenting and discipline contribute to making an inattentive child able to focus, please do fill me in.

SorGold

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:57 pm
Just because its not diagnosed doesn't mean it doesnt exist! If the kids and families are getting therapy theyll have a difft dx like behavioral disorder.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 6:04 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Not sure what inattention has anything to do with the above. If anyone can tell me how parenting and discipline contribute to making an inattentive child able to focus, please do fill me in.

Exactly. I can sort of believe this for adHd but not for add.

mom in france

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 6:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
That's ridiculous. I know several French people with obvious ADD. I worked with them. Doubt they were ever diagnosed but it certainly exists.

Maybe they stamp out ADHD with strong and early punishments. Don't think that works with the inattentiveness part of the disorder

They probably do have but what the article seems to be saying is the way they see the cause as being different to the way the american docs see the cause results in a different cure...

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:04 pm
The French are perfect. There are many, many books to tell us so:

Rolling Eyes

There's a whole industry based around the American fetishization of the French, and though I've never been to France, I'm sure the French are actually just as mundane as Americans and have their own issues.

Happy18

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:07 pm
Parenting styles may come into play, but I dont think anyone can make such a broad statement.

Bruria

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:22 pm
I believe it has to do with the level of tolerance with children. Kids act like kids, sometimes they don't feel like sitting down or obeying grown ups, and "suddenly "they have ADHD!! Ppl should understand that kids are kids!!!Most of them don't need Ritalin, just enough time to grow up and mature!!

sunlight

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:23 pm
It doesn't say that they don't have ADHD. It says they have less kids diagnosed. So something that they are doing is helping them. Parents may be medicating much faster in the US. Schools may be pushing for medication faster.

yogabird

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 8:56 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

I've seen children improve their ability to focus and pay attention for increasing lengths of time by means of behavioral conditioning.

(That doesn't mean that it was lack of discipline that caused the inattentiveness in the first place.)

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:00 pm
Bruria wrote:
I believe it has to do with the level of tolerance with children. Kids act like kids, sometimes they don't feel like sitting down or obeying grown ups, and "suddenly "they have ADHD!! Ppl should understand that kids are kids!!!Most of them don't need Ritalin, just enough time to grow up and mature!!

I have taught at many schools for many years, and have never seen a kid on medication who didn't need it. I believe this whole "we throw meds at kids at the first sign of normal disobedience or activity" is a myth, and a dangerous one.

syrima

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:02 pm
Interesting - it mentions that the last time the French equivalent of DSM was updated was in 2000.
So that means they are relying on a system which is 13 years old???

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:03 pm
yogabird wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I've seen children improve their ability to focus and pay attention for increasing lengths of time by means of behavioral conditioning.

(That doesn't mean that it was lack of discipline that caused the inattentiveness in the first place.)

Yeah, I agree. But then we're back to looking at ADHD as a biological condition, where we're remodeling the brain via therapeutic techniques. You would still be diagnosing a child for that. It isn't prevented by having the right parenting or discipline.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:19 pm
I had a very disciplined upbringing. and I was spanked plenty. and I was diagnosed with adhd at age 34.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:21 pm
What do the French imamothers have to say abt it? Ruchel do they have ADHD in your country?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children