Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sippy Cup

At what age did your kid start drinking from a sippy cup?
6-9 months  
 68%  [ 11 ]
9-12 months  
 18%  [ 3 ]
Doesn't  
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, May 02 2004, 8:32 pm
My baby is bottlefed-furmula only, ( he drinks water from a cup that I feed him with )though I would rather him start drnking juice/ water from a sippy cup,I tried giving it to him , but he doesnt know what to do with it, I put the tip by his mouth but he pushes away, How can I teach him to use it?

micki

Post Thu, May 06 2004, 9:20 am
hi- cheer up- its actually quite easy to teach a kid to use a sippy cup. but it requires patience and time. Firstly use a sippy cup that you can remove the valve inside. (the little thing that makes it spill proof) I've always had success with the playtex ones. So remove the valve and put in UNDILUTED APPLE or GRAPE juice. I say undiluted so that it tastes like something. some diluted juices can end up tasting sour. you want it to taste GOOD and make sure that the child can taste something. don't use water. screw the top back on, and pour a few drops into your childs mouth. taking out the valve lets this happen. repeat this several times so they realize that putting a mouth on this strange hard plastic makes something good come out. after a few attempts at this you'll notice that eventually the child will try to suck. this is a natural insinct that will only kick in if they realize somehthing good will come out of this. once your child shows that they suck-they form a ring around the mouth peice- with their lips (make sure they don't suck without the valve, because it POURS out! ) then put the valve back in and let them try.
you may need to do this several times until they get the hang of it. then once they've mastered it you may put in what ever liqued you like! GOOD LUCK!!
Michal

Rivka

Post Sat, Jul 24 2004, 8:42 pm
Maybe try to get a sippy cup with a soft spout.
And try what micki says.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 8:15 pm
Guess what guys- the best teacher for my son on how to use his sippy cup was his 2 year old uncle- he wanted to drink from his uncles cup ( you know how someone else's stuff is always better then your own).he grabbed the cup from his uncle, and vaola did it. so now he is a great drinker. but thanks anywyas for all your tips.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Aug 29 2004, 5:56 am
It took my son a few months to learn how to use it. He did not really drink alot from a sippy cup till he was a year. Maybe try a few different variety -some are better made then others. Once their older it is easier. It is also probobly easier to learn if they are not used to bottles.

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2004, 8:38 am
Thats true I agree with you on that one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics