Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Ideas how to make guest room without kicking out baby?
1  2  Next

cs1

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:03 pm
I love having sleeping guest but have a very hard time kicking out my baby from his room (we have 2 bedrooms). His whole schedule gets messed up, he has to go into a porta crib, instead of his usual full size crib and it takes a few days to get him resettled into routine which is really hard.

I'm also due very soon with my second so there is no way will I be able to bring toddler#1 into my room any longer.

The problem is, is that my parents/in laws expect to have the room to themself and when I mentioned that with baby #2 coming, there is no way baby #1 will be coming into our room any longer, they weren't too thrilled. Understandably.
My son does sleep through the night, but gets up early and will sometimes cry, wimper and make some noises. We have a noise machine that will always be on so the guest can talk quietly when in the room.

My second bedroom is very large and I have 2 beds and a crib with a nice amount of space in between the two.

I am looking to create some sort of division in the room so guest can feel like they are getting their own room, but on the other hand, I don't need to kick baby out and mess up the whole routine.

I can put up a mechitza, but does anyone have any better ideas? Is there such a thing as a fake wall to make it into more of a separate room?
There is a doorway that is in between the beds and the crib so it has to be moveable.

TIA!

busydev

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:31 pm
imo it sounds like its time to stop having sleeping gurest couples. either find them another place or to bad. only other options would be to put your child in your room or in the living room didning room or something. or find your sleeping guests a room by a neighbor.

myself

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:39 pm
Do you ever need to go into the room at night? You won't really be able to do that with guest.

Emotional

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:46 pm
I would be very irritated if I was a guest somewhere and my husband & I had to room with someone else's baby. You mentioned that your baby wakes up early and cries. Is it fair for your guests to have to get up for him?
It's irrelevant if there's a mechitzah. It's still the same room, and it's not their kid.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:47 pm
I agree with the other posters, sorry. If someone wants to sleep over I tell them what the options are and let them decide if they want to sleep over.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:47 pm
Rooming someone with the baby... my dad has a story of pre war like that.
I really wouldn't do it nowadays unless it's baby room or the street.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:53 pm
If you don't want to room with your baby why would you ask someone else to. Have them stay at a neighbor and eat meals with you.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 3:57 pm
And while we're on the topic of guest rooms, last Shabbos we stayed at a family who was so kind, thoughtful, and accommodating. Except there was no lock on the bedroom door. Both my kids and their kids were barging in freely.
If your guests are a married couple, no more need be said. And even if your guest is a single person, he or she.would appreciate their privacy. Please, make sure the room where you put your guests has a lock.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:01 pm
When I had one child, I moved him into my bedroom when we had couples over. Now that I have two, I no longer host couples. Any single guests are informed beforehand that they will be sharing a room with my kids. If it's the norm in your area, you can certainly ask friends or neighbors to host your guests. Think about how you will reciprocate if you can't do the same for them. And if it's not the norm, don't ask.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:02 pm
Lock is SO cultural. In very few homes do I see locks, on any room (except bathroom and toilets).
Some older apartments have a keylock so there should have been key... most of the time unused hence lost. I have never been given a guest room with lock. But the kids should and CAN be disciplined to respect privacy, at worst to knock. My 18 month old already knocked.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Lock is SO cultural. In very few homes do I see locks, on any room (except bathroom and toilets).
Some older apartments have a keylock so there should have been key... most of the time hence lost. I have never been given a guest room with lock. But the kids should and CAN be disciplined to respect privacy, at worst to knock. My 18 month old already knocked.

Even a well-disciplined child can forget, or can be mischievous. It's cheap and it's easy to install a basic lock.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:06 pm
I agree. I'm all for locks. We actually demanded the previous owners find the key to the bedroom we had chosen LOL. They didn't really get it.

Emotional

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:08 pm
Perhaps OP could consider that new pop-up thingy that envelops the baby's crib. I don't remember what it's called but she can use it with the baby in HER room or the living room, not the guest room. It may help.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:16 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Some older apartments have a keylock so there should have been key... most of the time unused hence lost.

We don't even have on our bathrooms, grr (on my phone w/o emoticons)!!!! It has a space for a key without a key. We think of putting a lock on it, but we're so used to it, it's no big deal. We all know you don't walk into a room with the door closed without knocking first.

Okay, back to the op's question Smile .

cs1

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:21 pm
I live about an hour away from both sides with no frum people in our town with no neighbors to rely on. The only sleeping guest we have now are our parents. Everyone else I say no to as I can't move the baby out.

The crib is too large for the doorway and our portacrib will iyh soon be used for baby #2 so baby #1 will not be able to use it for that much longer.

bubbebia

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:30 pm
I'm sorry, OP, but as a visiting grandparent myself, it is not appropriate to house people who will have to share a room with your baby. If it is not feasible for your guests to sleep, etc. in privacy, then you don't have sleepover guests. If you want to have sleepover guests, then it is incumbent upon you to have your babies sleeping in your room and you will have to deal with the kids. Your parents deserve their privacy.

freidasima

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:37 pm
If we are talking about Bubbie and Zeidie what in the heck is the problem? How many times did my kids sleep with my parents? Loads, at their place. In their bedroom, in their beds, all the kids together, what a balagan it was!!! But my parents loved it. Heck I (that's a capital, underlined I) didn't let my kids get into my bed ever because I was always afraid of lice (here in EY it's endemic and my kids all suffered with it over and over being reinfected in gan) but my parents? They coped admirably. One kid would end up between their beds, another hanging over the side etc.

Anyhow bubbie and zaidie need grandchildren around, not privacy. And if said baby wakes up during the night, yalla, get a good night's sleep and let bubbie and zaidie take care of said child! To this day when we have the grandchildren over whose bed do they end up in at 4 AM if they are screaming? Mine, you betcha or with Zeide. There was this great night that the younger who usually didn't sleep anyhow, ended up sleeping with Zeide in his bed (he's 2) and then the older woke up and started screaming he wanted to also and ended up in my bed next to zeide who was of course by that time kicked out of his bed by a thrashing two year old.

I slept on the sofa. For as much as I slept.

in other words, if it is your parents or in laws, they get the kids, and you get a vacation from the kids, they can all sleep together in one room, in one bed for that matter.

If it is anyone else? Just don't have guests. But grandparents? A free for all, and that's how it should be IMHO.

busydev

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:38 pm
so buy a pack n play to use once your portacrib is in use by your baby.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:42 pm
I would feel very bad pushing my baby at night on my parents, even on my mother and she's kah a YOUNG grandmother. Unless I was sick or giving birth I wouldn't do it.

My parents just cannot sleep with a child in their bed, and as spoiling as they are, they do not allow it because if they don't sleep the night? then who will take care of the kid(s) next day, if we aren't there? and if we are there and kah healthy, then it's our duty to handle nights, not theirs.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 4:46 pm
we were once put in a room with the hosts baby. He was a toddler already. I didn't think it was so strange. If your parents can't cope with it then I guess you have no choice - either they don't come or you put up with it.

You can look into temporary walls - google those words and see what you come up with.

Heres one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9VCRkb1IY but I am sure there are tons more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics