Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What's the best Jewish book/novel out there?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 9:53 am
Ruchel wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
lovely1 wrote:
curlyhead wrote:
As long as I live is the best book I read this year.

Just read Diamond Dust by Riva Pomerantz and thought that was good. All her books are good esp Green Fences.

I read as long as I live and Green Fences. They were both very good books. Maybe I'll try Diamond Dust this time.
Thank you to all that responded with book titles.

Oops. Missed this in my earlier post.
Another book suggestion: The Mountain Family. I haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward.

who from?

Artscroll's publishing it.

lovely1

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 10:59 am
PinkFridge wrote:
lovely1 wrote:
curlyhead wrote:
As long as I live is the best book I read this year.

Just read Diamond Dust by Riva Pomerantz and thought that was good. All her books are good esp Green Fences.

I read as long as I live and Green Fences. They were both very good books. Maybe I'll try Diamond Dust this time.
Thank you to all that responded with book titles.

Oops. Missed this in my earlier post.
Another book suggestion: The Mountain Family. I haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward.

Is The Mountain Family a new book? I didn't see it in the store. I'll check it out when I'll be there next.
I read most of the books mentioned here. Sun Inside Rain is indeed an amazing book. Full harvest too. I enjoyed thicker Than Water but not as much as the others. A Daughter of Two Mothers was nice too.
Of all the books mentioned here I'm left with a choice of Diamond Dust, The Betrayal and The Outcast or The Mountain Family.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

mgold

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 1:46 pm
Fantastic Reads all of these:
The Search
Diamond Dust
Sun Inside Rain
Full Harvvest

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 2:00 pm
I also loved Sun Inside Rain and M. Kenan's two books.

On a different level, I really enjoyed Dancing in the Darkness by Shoshana Mael. I felt that the story was really brought out in a realistic way with feelings that I never "felt" come off the paper with any other book before. It was refreshingly different than the typical Jewish novel.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:01 pm
Thanks for reminding me I wanted to get that one. It's Dancing in the Dark, BTW.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:05 pm
Dancing in the Dark was amazing. Very very intense though.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:06 pm
Mountain Family is a new book. I didn't read it yet but it looks fascinating. Would love to hear reviews..

4everonadiet

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 4:57 pm
Does anyone remember the "old" books like Family Secets and The Exiles of crocodile Island? I've reread those books a few times.

Jughead

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 9:29 pm
What's Dancing in the Dark about? is it fiction?

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 11:48 pm
Jughead, Dancing in Dark (thanx Hashem_Yaazor for the correction!) is about a family dealing with mental illness and their struggles to stay afloat. Mainly it depicts 2 sisters in high school who are extremely close and are basically each other's lifeline during this difficult time. As the story develops, it portrays how this is not healthy for either of them. It is extremely well written and very realistic.

Duggie

Post Fri, Nov 29 2013, 1:33 am
on any internet jewish site, Sun Inside Rain will always be the most recommended. It is such a cult classic. I wonder who this Bassara is, and what his/her actual name is. She must write another book! any south africans out there know who she is?

Meir Uri Gottesman is also great. A little fluffy, but still great.

Terri

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 7:21 pm
The Search--who is the author? Publisher? Genre?

m. kenan--publisher? Novel or nonfiction?

Thanks!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 8:42 pm
The Face in the Mirror by Yael Mermelstein is technically YA, but I found it very fresh and different. I wrote a longer review on imamother a few weeks ago -- you can find it by searching the site.

climbing613

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 9:04 pm
To the poster who asked about M. Kenan, I think be wrote The Betrayal and Outcast. They are fictional accounts of the kingdom of Kuzar. I was thoroughly engossed.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 9:39 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Dancing in the Dark was amazing. Very very intense though.

I read this book over Shabbos. I couldn't put it down. I read it straight through. Really powerful!

zissy2004

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:10 am
Terri wrote:
The Search--who is the author? Publisher? Genre?

m. kenan--publisher? Novel or nonfiction?

Thanks!

The search is by Rachel Schorr. I loved it! Couldn't put it down!

smss

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:11 am
bigsis144 wrote:
The Face in the Mirror by Yael Mermelstein is technically YA, but I found it very fresh and different. I wrote a longer review on imamother a few weeks ago -- you can find it by searching the site.

it's exactly freaky friday. it WAS well-written, but books that are totally stolen from other books turn me off...

lshap

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 11:32 am
ive read family secrets a dozen times

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 12:49 pm
smss wrote:
it's exactly freaky friday. it WAS well-written, but books that are totally stolen from other books turn me off...

It is NOT Freaky Friday. Freaky Friday plays the switch for humor, and at most a literal "walk in someone else's shoes to learn sympathy for them".

I expected The Face in the Mirror to be like that, plus full of hokey comic relief characters, but the story played the switch for all the fear and unease and tragedy (Esti is totally a tragic character... there are no happy endings all around) it would cause, and the message ended up being one of SELF acceptance. They could only switch back until they TRULY wanted to be THEMSELVES again. Not until they realized, "oh, Other Person, you're not so bad after all".

And that's a message I found innovative and fresh.

YMMV.

ETA: there are lots of books/movies that have the same initial premise but are different.

Example: A reluctant hero competes for the freedom of his/her people and inspires them to believe they are strong enough to defeat their foes.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Feb 05 2014, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

bamba

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 2:25 pm
Sun inside rain is definetely the BEST jewish novel ive ever read....
Etka gittel shcwartz books... full harvest...
Desperate deceptions an innocent deceptions... these are all dif types of books on various subjects... njoy :-)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room