Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
SCD Shabbos food

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 1:20 pm
having guest who is on SCD. I usually serve fish, eggs, chulent on Shabbos. are these ok? what subs do I have to make? what can I serve for dessert?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 2:42 pm
plain eggs are fine. fish by itself is fine (not gefilte). cholent is not. I advise you ask your guest what s/he'd like and exact recipes. s/he may have sensitivities within the diet itself. it's nice to surprise people, but on the scd, most people don't like surprises.

if you have your own recipes, ok EACH ingredient with the guest. it sounds like a lot of work, but you only have to do it once. next time will be easier.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 2:52 pm
the guest is at the beginning and has no clue what he may/may not eat. his wife is just in a daze so I was hoping to put together a meal and show them its possible. what can I do instead of chulent? need something warm, preferably in the crockpot.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 2:57 pm
ok. cholent substitute: meat, carrots, onion and garlic (fresh for both), water, salt, pepper, paprika. kosher salt is preferable.

fish: squeeze fresh lemons over fish fillets and cook. do not use bottled lemon juice.

eggs: fine if plain.

if he's beginning, he may not be able to have fresh veggies.

dessert: baked apples- core apples, drizzle with honey and cinnamon, bake.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 3:03 pm
thanks Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 12:35 am
Do not use anything processed. Everything must be fresh (no frozen garlic, nuts must be raw and unseasoned, etc).
No starches.
No sugar. Use honey as a sweetener.
Only certain beans (the Gefen cholent mix is okay).
No spice mixes or any spices that say powder (means they have anti-caking agents and/or mixed spices). Ground cumin ok, garlic powder is not.
Use olive oil.

You can make a homemade dip like tomato dip, roasted garlic, or roasted eggplant dip... and serve veggie sticks so dieter can enjoy without challah.
Gefilte fish is out. Bake salmon with a paste of olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
For eggs use olive oil, fresh onion, salt and pepper.
Cholent http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....t=scd
For dessert served chilled cubed melon or baked apples sprinkled with some cinnamon.

bnm

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 1:16 am
so paprika is ok, hickory smoked paprika not?

the kishka/butternut squash is a good idea. I'm thinking I'll just make him a small pot of his own chulent cuz my daughter won't be happy without potatoes.

about the carrot sticks, I thought raw veggies isn't allowed in the beginning?

what do people do instead of challa?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 1:44 am
bnm wrote:
so paprika is ok, hickory smoked paprika not?

the kishka/butternut squash is a good idea. I'm thinking I'll just make him a small pot of his own chulent cuz my daughter won't be happy without potatoes.

about the carrot sticks, I thought raw veggies isn't allowed in the beginning?

what do people do instead of challa?
correct about the paprika.
sorry, did not notice your second post about him being at the beginning of the diet. how beginning is he? is he supposed to be on just chicken soup right now?
most people just skip the challah, or you can purchase nut crackers from the bp scd food gemach or order nut melba toast from digestive wellness. otherwise you can make an almond loaf if you're in the mood of a patche, which is most similar to challah/bread.

bnm

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 1:46 am
I want to try making the almond loaf. do you have a recipie for that and the garlic dip?

can he eat chrain?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 2:27 am
bnm wrote:
I want to try making the almond loaf. do you have a recipie for that and the garlic dip?

can he eat chrain?
almond loaf
http://digestivewellness.blogs......html
click on the link where it says "Click Here for part two"

garlic dip
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....c+dip
use a teaspoon of mayo from the one you will be making for the almond loaf.

store bought chrain has sugar in it, so no.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 8:38 am
ok, beans are an absolute no-no until he is symptom free for a while. don't do it.

about the almond loaf, it's not a challah substitute. it may taste good (I have made a few different recipes, and they are) but it's nothing like challah. I drink an extra cup of grape juice instead of hamotzie. I use kedem organic, which isn't always easy to find. regular kedem is sweetened with grape juice concentrate. juice concentrates are generally illegal, so skip it. he can have dry wine, not sweet. if you have grape juice that is unsweetened, suggest he dilute it. many people can't handle the sweetness when they start the diet.

as for chrain, you can make your own, but I suspect you wouldn't want to. mayo is easy to make if he likes that on fish. let me know if you want the recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking