Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
NeuroLinks or Fast forward?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 7:20 am
kelly wrote:
yup u can't expect good results if u dont do the work. All these magic programs like fast forward, which promise results in a day by playing games on the computer, are baloney.

Fast ForWord does not "promise results in a day." Also, if you had ever been within 20 yards of the program, you would be aware that it is not "playing games," although the graphics are of course intended to engage children.

Fast ForWord is scientifically based, tested, and proven.

My child who used the program had severe auditory processing deficits, to the point that his SLT was concerned that he would never learn to read, and was certain he would never be able to remain in a yeshiva environment. The program changed his life. He is now studying in Israel, and will be attending a very competitive university when he returns.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 6:52 pm
My 10 y.o. DD with auditory processing, receptive and expressive language difficulties and ADHD has been doing FastForword through her school (twice a week in school, once a week at home during the school year and 3 times a week at home during the summer) for close to a year. They say she is progressing well on the program, but I haven't seen a whole lot of carryover to her schoolwork, comprehension etc. (though she does seem to be more observant of her surroundings) I'm not giving up on it, but I'm curious: For those who have had success with the program, how long did it take and what kinds of things were improved?

mommydearest

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 7:50 pm
kelly - I'm glad neurolinks worked for you.

My 2 friends are extremely committed and followed through to a tee. This is not for every child and they don't admit to that. Anyone who steps in gets treated. They have no training except in franchising this program based on a company in Utah (I think that's the state).

Again, I'm happy it worked for you, but from my friends - who have done it all and are extremely committed - it did not have long term results.

Hatzlach to OP who is asking.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:07 pm
Some questions were both asked and answered before I got here, but regarding the 16 week protocol I am assuming that is based on the time it could take to get through one portion of the program. Fast ForWord encompasses a series of sub-programs at different levels. Most people will want to go through at least two, though it depends on the individual's needs. I would typically recommend a MINIMUM of four months to see results, and if a parent wants to start with the minimum and then re-evaluate that's what I would suggest. For a simple case like a young child who hasn't had a chance to fall far behind yet, or someone who is already reading and functioning academically but could be doing better, that could be enough. For someone with significant delays or deficits they would probably benefit from more, though you can take a break between program steps to avoid burnout.

It's nice to hear good reports about Neurolinks. When they first started advertising people asked me to look into it and I could not recommend it based on what I saw at the time. Theoretically it's a nice concept, but in order to consider spending that much time and money on an intervention I would want to see a lot more research, a lot more transparency, and a different kind of business model.

I think Fast ForWord had some similar reputation issues due to a certain provider who used similar advertising tactics. The program itself is legit, I can't vouch for any other providers and how they apply it though. It is a serious professional tool, you can't just pick it off a shelf and expect it to do work for you.

Most recent amother, I'd expect to see some results by now but what kind/how much is something your personal provider has to help you figure out because they are the ones who know your child, what her original functioning and goals were, etc. You might not necessarily see higher school grades per se, but whatever was used to measure her auditory processing and r/e language should be re-done to see if there are any measurable changes in those areas. Your provider should also be helping you or the teachers to less-formally observe these things.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:26 pm
mommydearest wrote:
kelly - I'm glad neurolinks worked for you.

My 2 friends are extremely committed and followed through to a tee. This is not for every child and they don't admit to that. Anyone who steps in gets treated. They have no training except in franchising this program based on a company in Utah (I think that's the state).

Again, I'm happy it worked for you, but from my friends - who have done it all and are extremely committed - it did not have long term results.

Hatzlach to OP who is asking.

So did they get their 100% money back guarantee?

kelly

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 12:25 am
mommydearest, they do NOT treat every child that steps in there. I had first hand experience with that. And you're being absolutely stupid for bashing them like that when you've never seen their good results. No program is miracles for everyone. There are those it works miracles for. There are those it fixes 9 out of their 10 problems and you'll always have these kind of people complaining about the 1 problem it didn't fix. Same with fast forward. I won't list how many people saw zero success with their program. And about the training part, what brought u to that conclusion? Somehow I know differently. I've done extensive research on the program and it takes a good few years of training to get a license to run this program. No clue who's feeding you with all this bluff.

mommydearest

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:27 am
kelly - first and foremost I want to apologize to you and those whom implement neurolinks. If you felt like I was "bashing" the program, that was not my intention at all. I am only sharing with the OP and posters the experiences that I know first hand for the past 4 years from my 2 friends (1 actually being a relative) who have done all therapies and programs. I personally did not hear or have knowledge from anyone that had long lasting results. You are correct - it may not work for everyone and I happen to know 2 experiences that were not as extraordinarily helpful as yours.

I would also like to say that I am happy for you kelly that you got such extraordinary results with your child and may the success continue throughout the years. Based on their testimonials in Jewish magazines, it seems you are not alone.

With regard to "who's feeding you all this bluff", the "bluff" is coming from the 2 friends and my own experience with them. Neurolinks is franchise of a program called Learning Technics out in Utah. The training is learning how to implement the program with clients. I know this because I inquired myself once my 2nd friend began the program (she is the one that did not have good results even though she was extremely consistent. She later found out that her child required prism glasses.) The exercises (which I have seen them all) use a combination of visual memory, brain gym, vision therapy (saccades, gazing), and other spatial exercises. They can be performed by anyone.

Honestly, when asked about a program on imamother and other resources, it is difficult for people to really know whom we are to trust what we are saying.

Again, I am not trying to bash neurolinks or damage their reputation. I am just sharing with you what has been my experience with those that have committed the time, money, and children's time with this program. B'H they helped you and are helping so many children.

OP - please PM me privately if you would like to speak to the 2 people that I know who went through the program.

Again, Hatzlacha!

mommydearest

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:31 am
Seeker - no. They did not get back their 100% money guarantee. They had not been told about that policy. I asked them last night.

But one of them will be calling to find out about that.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 12:49 pm
I'm the amother whose 10 yo DD has been doing FastForWord in school. Seeker, this is a new program in school and nobody there has had the extensive experience of providers you're talking about. Of course, it is a fraction of the price with other providers--$300 for 6 months. I guess that's why I'm not getting so much information about changes they're seeing or would expect to see. Do you think that is a problem?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:31 pm
Who at the school is responsible for administering the program? It is a great step that the school is offering it, but someone there should be on top of it and in contact with a consultant (whoever set them up, presumably from the Scientific Learning company) to help them with this type of thing.

(out of curiosity, can you PM me the name of the school? I'm curious where they are offering Fast ForWord in house and would like to talk to them about how they manage it. I was involved with a school interested in it a couple of years ago but they never ended up doing it because of logistics.)

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 3:28 pm
My 10 yr old son has been doing Fast Forword since pesach. Kelly- it is definately not games. In education lots of good learning takes the guise of games but there is a lot of serious learning going on. It is hard work for him - and even though some of my other kids could probabbly fly through it, he can't. He can't do a lot of things other kids can because he has APD. Does FastForword help? Slowly, incrementally we see change. He is on the 15 month protocol- and yes, it costs a lot...

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:03 pm
My 10 yr old son is doing neurolinks for about 20 weeks now.He needs it for Reading, spelling and auditory processing. Every single day (except shabbos) someone comes to my house for an hour to do the work with him. I am sad to say I do not see a change. I think its a program more for adhd. I dont even know if I should continue.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 6:31 pm
Wow, amother, that is a lot of time!

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
So happy to see this post!! My daughter just started Neurolinks last week for her issues which include: lack focus/concentration, poor time-management, clumsiness, poor social skills, etc.

Hoping to see a big improvement!! Smile

Also, I just want to mention that Neuorlinks has a 100% money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the results. The lady who evaluated my child said that they offer this because they are so confident in the program and it really works. She said she hasn't had to give back anyone's money so far (she's been doing this for 8 years). (There might have been one person who didn't work the program (ie do the homework) who asked for his money back, but that's it.)

Amother, please post an update. Did Neurolinks help your daughter with lack of focus, concentration, social skills? Did you see improvement? How long did it take to start seeing improvement? Do you recommend the program?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother whose 10 yo DD has been doing FastForWord in school. Seeker, this is a new program in school and nobody there has had the extensive experience of providers you're talking about. Of course, it is a fraction of the price with other providers--$300 for 6 months. I guess that's why I'm not getting so much information about changes they're seeing or would expect to see. Do you think that is a problem?

Amother, did you find FastForWord to be helpful for your daughter?
If so, what did it help with?

How did she do it in school?

Does every child have their own computer? Is it with a laptop or with a mouse and keyboard? Does it require internet access?
Does a teacher help?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
My 10 yr old son is doing neurolinks for about 20 weeks now.He needs it for Reading, spelling and auditory processing. Every single day (except shabbos) someone comes to my house for an hour to do the work with him. I am sad to say I do not see a change. I think its a program more for adhd. I dont even know if I should continue.

Amother, did you continue in the end? Did it help at all? If not, did you get your money back?

Do you think it would help for adhd? What issues would it help with?

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 5:17 pm
Sapphire amother, if you pm me I can answer your questions about fast ForWord and possibly some about neurolinks as well. It would be much quicker and easier by phone, though.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:38 am
I've just recently joined Imamother and I'm so glad to see this conversation and join in it. My 11 year old son (then 10) has gone through the Neurolnks program last year. We finished in June of 2015. He really struggled with a lot. He had trouble focusing and was almost incapable of Reading and writing. He had zero motivation at that point, was having trouble socially, and was a very unhappy child. I had heard about Neurolinks from a friend of mine whose child had gone through the program in Lakewood with amazing results. We are from Brooklyn and therefore we went for an evalution to Neurolinks in Willliamsburg. The program director, Yehudis Klein gave us an extremely clear assessment of our son and his underlying processing issues. The first thing she told us was that she can assure us that the permanent frown on our son's face will iyh be replaced with a smile! That was actually the first change we started seeing in him a couple of weeks into the program! As we went further along in the program we were seeing gradual changes in each of the areas we had wanted help for. Bh my son has come a verrry long way. He is a focused individual. His reading and writing are up to par. He's doing well socially and is happy and motivated. He's learning Gemara now and comes home with great marks on his tests each week. My husband works in the administration of my son's yeshiva and he bumped into the principal last week. The principal told him with tears in his eyes "I've never seen such a transformation in a child in all of my years as a principal'!!!!!
From my experience, if You do an eval on your child and they're a candidate for the Neurolinks program, GO FOR IT!

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:00 am
With all due respect, I'm suspicious of all the anonymous "amother's" trolling for NeuroLinks. If it was so amazing, use your SN. It's not your real life name. The plural of anecdote is not data. The plural of shilling for a company anonymously is not data. The plural of testimonials is not data.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:14 am
lol. im not trying to persuade you about anything. just sharing my personal story. thought it might be able to benefit people.
btw im knew to this blog and blogs in general. I guess I need to learn the rules of the game.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children