Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - jewish soap opera
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:50 pm
cuffs wrote:
I've also noticed that the grandmothers use bad language. Okay, so I get over it.

Yeah I don't remember any specific examples but I think Rebetzin Erblich could be pretty raunchy at times. Sometimes old people lose their filters. I don't think she was meant to have dementia-- she was pretty sharp. But she might have just stopped caring about social norms. Anyway, I thought she was funny.

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:52 pm
Oh yes! In the beginning it taka looked kosher but like after scene 2-5 it started getting bad bad. But for thpse who are still watching it. Enjoy kosher chazer feesel

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 2:55 pm
kiryat sefer wrote:
Enjoy kosher chazer feesel

That's really unnecessary. Nobody is making you watch or comment. No need to judge others.

I'm getting the urge to start a Game of Thrones thread.

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:45 pm
Every one should watch what they want. To say this is kosher? No its dirty but against other ones this is cleaner but not clean. Whtvr

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:54 pm
I tried google translate on "klafta" & got monastery. But then it occurred to me it should be spelled ?כלבתא

Sadie

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:57 pm
penguin wrote:
I tried google translate on "klafta" & got monastery. But then it occurred to me it should be spelled ?כלבתא

It's כּלבֿטע

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 3:58 pm
Its not chasidim its prushim first of all. And my hebrew I know what level im on my keyboard wasnt working lol. But anyway I let u watch whatever you want.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:08 pm
kiryat sefer wrote:
Its not chasidim its prushim first of all. And my hebrew I know what level im on my keyboard wasnt working lol. But anyway I let u watch whatever you want.
No matter what your level of hebrew is. I did not understand what you were writting.
And I have no idea what prushim are, but to the untrained eye of any israeli who is watching this show, it is a show about chassidim.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:21 pm
Kiryat Sefer, I don't know what in the world you are going off on. This is a TV show. CHILONI. If you don't want to watch TV, as is not appropriate in Kiryat Sefer, then DON'T. Other people, such as myself, appreciate a show that is not loaded with s-xual scenes or innuendos that usually accompany other shows. If you think it is bad bad bad and evil, kol hakavod for being so frum but then WHY ARE YOU WATCHING?

Thanks at least for giving us permission to watch whatever we want.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:25 pm
google gave me this :
קלפטע – מילה רבת משמעויות: מרשעת, כלבה, רכלנית, זקנה, ואפילו "בעלת מרץ רב". מארמית: כלבתא.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:34 pm
Prushim are Talmedei GRA who emigrated to E"Y. They would be Misnagidm, their Levush (clothing) is similar to Chasidim.

I would agree that the characters are Prushim. The general population is unfamiliar with them as this point in time they are a small percentage of the Charedei population in E"Y. Unless someone is familiar with Yerushalayim History prior to when the Zionist came to E"Y.

There are some inaccuracies but this is fiction and over the top as the example of the relationship of Ruchumi and Chanina. No one in their right mind would take this seriously. It is a funny enjoyable show with very interesting relationships. I agree it is so enjoyable that we don't have to deal with the bedroom lives of the characters.

israel22

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 4:44 pm
well here is 9! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jloaq

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 5:43 pm
I looked up klafta and it's the Yiddish version of b-tch.
Nu nu, in Yiddish, the curses always sound cleaner Smile

thinkermother

Post Sun, Dec 27 2015, 11:10 pm
israel22 wrote:
well here is 9! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jloaq

this video has been removed... anywhere else to watch it?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:21 am
That link didn't work but just search daily motion שטיסל עונה 2 פרק 9.

Unfortunately it worked and I watched it at 11:45 last night when I really should've gone to bed !!

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 6:20 am
I think this is terrible
they portray us as a bunch of low lives
most teenage boys do not dream about girls all day! of course there are exceptions
they make it look like this is normal for everyone in our community
most grandmas do NOT lose their filters when reaching 90
the opposite! my grandparents were so worked out in their middos and everything by the time they reached old age.

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 9:04 am
On the contrary, I think it portrays the Charedi community as people with challenges, difficulties, hopes, expectations, dreams and conflict and gives rare insight to the daily life of Charedi people instead of just sensationalist journalism. As for the various plot lines that are unrealistic, ie: Ruchami and Chanina getting married with a ring in front of Eidim, after all, it is TV.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 9:04 am
I'm new to Shtisel.
A friend of mine discovered it and insisted I give it a try.
I've seen the first 3 episodes of the first season so far and overall I'm enjoying it.
It has a brooding, dreamy quality to it that sort of reminds me of Thirtysomething, if that means anything to anybody here.
As far as the Yiddish vulgarities among the older generation - I really have no way of knowing if this is true to life in this society or not but in life in general, older people sometimes do allow themselves to say things in ways that younger people are too inhibited to use. They often view themselves as free of certain social constraints and don't care what people think. Then, of course, dementia sometimes causes older people to use vulgarities.
Also, Yiddish is a famously 'juicy' language: people must still be using the coarser words or they would have fallen into obscurity by now and it stands to reason that some of those people are old.

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 9:11 am
I have heard the word Klafte used by many frum people.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 9:13 am
Hatemywig wrote:
I have heard the word Klafte used by many frum people.

Klafte is a mainstream word in Israel. It is not considered an obscenity.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics