Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
GF donuts fried and delicious?

asweet

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 9:15 pm
this is our first chanukah that we need gluten free donuts for my daughter - we bought the frozen-baked from katz and kinnicknick. she really wants jelly donuts so I tried making them today as per a recipe I got online but it failed totally ! was too runny and tasted awful!!

anyone with a tried and true recipe for fried donuts - gluten free and actually tastes good??

4Sisters

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 9:24 pm
This is also my dd's first GF Chanukah. I bought 2 boxes of the Katz donuts, but we haven't even opened them yet (the only parties we have gone to have had ice cream for dessert. Works for us!).

This recipe was linked to on the FB group "Kosher Me and Gluten Free". I have not tried it and don't know about the hechsher on GF Bisquick
http://www.theglutenfreemaven.......html

Last edited by 4Sisters on Sun, Dec 25 2016, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

asweet

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 9:32 pm
thanks for the link. but I wouldn't know where to buy the bisquick and if its an ok hechsher.
I just feel so bad for my dd, as she's missing out so much - her school makes a carnival one day and a lunch and everything revolves around food..I try to maker her specialties but she hates being different!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 10:03 pm
Go with gluten free zeppole. They are dairy donut balls and have more substance than a traditional donut recipe so I believe they would be great gluten free.
http://www.allrecipesgf.com/un.....pole/

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 10:24 pm
asweet wrote:
this is our first chanukah that we need gluten free donuts for my daughter - we bought the frozen-baked from katz and kinnicknick. she really wants jelly donuts so I tried making them today as per a recipe I got online but it failed totally ! was too runny and tasted awful!!

anyone with a tried and true recipe for fried donuts - gluten free and actually tastes good??

Katz's makes jelly GF donuts
Are you specifically looking for homemade fried ones?

sarachana

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 11:29 pm
I make gluten free funnel cakes...much easier since rice flour tends to be dense and this recipe is very lose. I get the oil really hot and pour batter in circles from a measuring cup. then I shake powdered sugar on top. they are divine!!!!

lemeknow if you need the recipe...

asweet

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:59 am
sarachana - if you don't mind please post the recipe as I'll try anything!

cookies'n'cream - I didn't see katz jelly donuts in the stores here in montreal...

asweet

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 2:54 pm
thank you cookies & cream I checked at the supermarket and they did have the jelly donuts. Now my dd just has to like them....(they don't look so amazing....but like all gf foods that's what it is I guess...)

asweet

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:37 am
in case anyone is interested the katz gf jelly donuts are HORRIBLE!!!! sooooooooo bad whoever tasted them had to spit it out.

I think its downright mean to sell a product that is so inedible...what are they thinking?????

I'm very unimpressed can't they test a recipe before selling an item? because someone has to eat gluten free doesn't mean the have to eat garbage. I can't say all gf products are delicious but so bad?!?

just venting....

4Sisters

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 10:56 pm
We got the glazed (plain) and dd loved them. I didn't try them b/c they're so expensive! We also got the Katz chocolate glazed which she said was pretty good, but the glazed were much better. Sorry the jelly was lousy. They were out at our store or I'm sure I would have bought them, too!

Bruria

Post Fri, Dec 06 2013, 10:22 am
We got the Katz's powdered donuts and they were very good!! But you need to eat right after it's defrosted otherwise it gets hard.But we really liked those and we are all picky eaters!!

asweet

Post Fri, Dec 06 2013, 10:34 am
it was plain with no filling?

I through them all in the garbage $20 worth of donuts and I made dh run all the way across town in the middle of his work day.... I feel so bad for her that I try it all and as much as I try gf baked stuff is not the same as regular....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics