Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Easy Israeli Salad Recipes Please

Didi

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 8:01 am
I am having a bunch of Israeli's over for Shabbat, would love to put out a salad spread, does anyone have any yummy easy Israeli Salad recipes. Please be specific with dressings and not a little of this and a little of that.

Thank You

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:30 am
Are you talking about the standard israeli salad with chopped tomato and cucumbers?
Or talking about salatim in general sense? (eg eggplant, matbucha, red peppers, tehini?)

This is big enough for about 10-12 people as a part of first course.

1 cucumber (preferably the ones that are not too seedy, if not better use 3 kerbys)
3 large or 4 medium RIPE tomatoes
1 red pepper, cored and stray seeds removed
2-3 salad onions/scallions
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (this you really have to taste)

Wash vegetables, cut eah of the vegetables in tiny cubes (a bit smaller than 1inch).
In a mixing bowl, mix all vegetables, then add lemon juice and olive oil. Season with s&p.
Best made closer to eating, otherwise it will yield too much juice.
Don't cut them in big chunks, esp if you want to impress israeli guests.

smss

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:43 am
techina: equal parts techina and water, mix mix mix until blended, will look like it's not working but eventually it will! add a dash of lemon juice, salt and parsley.

babaganoush: prick an eggplant all over, wrap in tin foil and put in oven at 350 for about half an hour, until cooked through. scoop out the inside & mix with mayo or techina, salt, and garlic powder.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 2:32 pm
tehina: I usually add finely chopped garlic as well as lemon juice and chopped parsley.

baba ganoush: please please please. No mayo. It should be made with tehina.
It is a middle eastern cuisine preceding invention of refrigerator--mayo would spoil.

aubergine salad: broil the eggplant as above. Don't add tehina/mayo.
Instead season with lemon juice, olive oil. Add finely chopped parsley, finely chopped
red peppers, pine nuts for garnish.

Fried aubergine: slice eggplants thinly (3/4 inches thickness), halve if too large.
sprinkle salt (I use 1-2 teasp for 2 large ones) and leave in a colandar or a bowl for 30min.
Squeze out brownish liquid and rinse well. Heat 2tbsp oil in a skillet till quite hot, add
eggplant slices and fry till it's soft and shrink a bit. Add chopped garlic (optional) till it browns.
Turn off heat, I usually serve it plain or with cumin, but you can dress them with tomato sauce.

roasted pepper: core peppers, cut into quarter or slightly more pieces so they lay flat.
LIne a baking tray with a piece of foil. Place peppers outside up. Sprinkle a bit of salt,
broil till skins darken and blisters. Wrap up in the foil and let cool. Once cool to handle,
peel off the charred skin. Season with pepper, oliveoil, chopped garlic optional.

beetroot salad: If using raw beetroots, wash, scrubb very well, top/tail and wrap the whole things
and bake in 180C oven for about 1.5hrs. Let cool. (It's easier to use pre-baked ones, but
don't use canned beetroots or beetroots pickled in vinegar). Cut into slices or matchsticks.
A) add 1/4 finely chopped red onions. or
B) add sectioned and broken up oranges.
sprinkle v small amount of cumin and salt (literally a pinch each). Dress with equal part orange
juice, lemon juice and olive oil.

I must confess I buy matbucha from stores. There are many other recipes in the salads section in the recipes forum.

Didi

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 3:06 am
Thanks looking for Salatim
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics