Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Seeking a modern Orthodox community, Texas? Denver? Virginia

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 6:35 pm
Hi,
My Husband and I are looking into moving out of NY. We are both 29, have been married about a year and half, and have no kids yet.
We are modern orthdox, and I dont always cover my hair and I wear pants sometimes. The main thing we are seeking is affordable housing, and an accepting community.
We are looking into a bunch of communities, but its overwelming and I dont know anything about them other then the small blurb on the OU.
So my question is does anyone know anything about the following communities and what they are like religiously?
1. Texas: Houson, San Antonia, or Austin
2. Denver
3. Chesterfield or st. Louis Missouri
4. Louiseville Kentucky
5. Richmond Virginia
6. South East Michigan

All and any help is greatly appreciated!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 7:32 pm
If you want a highly affordable and warm and accepting modern Orthodox community, I'd strongly recommend that you check out Overland Park, KS. The shul's web page is www.biav.org and it would be a great fit for you!

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 8:23 pm
I would steer clear of Austin TX. You can pm me if you want as I would prefer my comments to be l'toeles.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 8:28 pm
You would love Richmond, VA!!!

Very non-judgmental.

Great place to raise kids and very affordable.

medola

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 8:35 pm
Hollywood, FL! You'd fit RIGHT in!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 8:59 pm
You forgot Dallas!!! I used to live there, I loved it!!! San antonio and austin have nothing.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
You forgot Dallas!!! I used to live there, I loved it!!! San antonio and austin have nothing.

Me again. I forgot to add that the mo shul shaarei tefilla is where we went. Many ladies there wear pants and will cover some hair for shul. Warm southern hospitality and an amazing town.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:50 pm
check houston

yihouston.org

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:13 pm
I would not suggest Houston, at least not the Young Israel community. Basically every woman there covers here hair in some way, and nobody wears pants.
There is a much more modern shul - UOS - but I really know nothing about it.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:35 pm
Op thanks so much for all the replies! I will check into Dallas and Houston. We are thinking seriously of Richmond as well.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 9:26 pm
The UOS side of Houston has a very welcoming MO community and the main school is also mainstream MO. The YI side where the kollel families live is more yeshivish, but also has some MO people. There's also the Meyerland area which was smaller, and pretty MO, at least the last time I was there. People are very friendly.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 12:15 pm
May I recommend you look into Albany as well? It is a small, welcoming community with affordable housing ($150-$250k for a house) We are a very modern community, and many women dont cover/partially cover/wear pants.
We hired a new Rabbi last year and the community has been trying to grow, so the shul has hosted many events: shabbos dinners or lunch n'learns, parent child learning, movie night, hikes, etc. They also have youth directors that lead Shabbos programs for the kids, and NCSY events

One nice thing is that we are not separated by observance level. We have chassidim at our shul and people who are not shomer shabbos- all friends. There is a pond nearby with a playground that everyone meets at shabbos afternoons in the summer (and for Tashlich). When I say everyone, I mean across the spectrum- reform, conservative, orthodox, lubuvitch.

The community is various ages, but for the most part is young families.

there are 2 schools. One is not officially chabad, but is mostly made of chabad teachers and students, and many of the teachings are in line with that philosophy, while still being open enough to welcome in the 'unaffiliated'. The other school is technically conservative but is welcoming to all levels of observance- most modern orthodox kids go there (including mine)

We do not have a restaurant- yet. One is in the pipeline to open soon (a month or 2). We do have a grocery store with a large kosher section and a full service kosher butcher/deli and (separate) bakery

In our community, as soon as someone has a baby, meals are arranged for a few weeks. If someone needs help, there is someone there for them.

We are only 3 hours from the city, so you wont be too far away, in case you have friends and family.

If you want to come up for a Shabbos, you are welcome to stay with us. PM me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating