Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Help me choose between DaVinci and Young America Crib please

bitachon111

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:15 pm
I am torn between buying a DaVinci Crib for my toddler or a Young America. It's basically price v.s. green safety. If anyone has insight please share here is what I like / dislike about each:

DaVinci Cameron
- mostly I like the price $300
- would look nice in white in my nursery
- I like how it looks but don't love, but I'm sure can live with it and enjoy it
- dislike that it's made in China and I expect it to be smelly (I.e. off-gass like the portable crib I have) and made of softwood (ie less durable) but the offgassing is my main concern and also that babies chew on their cribs and this finish is toxic

Young America Grace or Acclaim Crib
- mostly dislike the price - grace is $650 and Acclaim is $750...ouch!
- love the look
- love that they are made of solid wood with non-toxic finishes and are Intertek and Greenguard certified (no off-gassing)

On one hand who spends so much on a crib (I.e. Young America) on the other hand I will only buy one crib to last for all the kids so maybe it's worth it to stretch another few hundred dollars for health and safety...this is my dilemma.

Please put me out of my misery I really need to make a decision...thank you!

incognito

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:19 pm
I have the young americ and I love the way it looks. I did buy it on sale though.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:23 pm
Stanley young America is excellent quality and should last through all your kids iyh. If you can afford it, go for it. I doubt you will ever have to replace it.
If you live in the tri state area, you can usually get better pricing from the heimish stores in Stanley than you would at a regular furniture store.

bitachon111

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:30 pm
from OP:

Thanks so much for your input. I'm also impressed with Young America quality. The price I wrote is from a haimishe store and is already better than the usual prices but a tad too much for me still. I guess that's why I'm having a hard time deciding on it. There is such a thing as a Young America sale? That would be amazing where did you find it on sale?

bks

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:53 pm
I have this crib.. saw it in the jewish stores for 500 solid wood I found it online for 369. its really nice. the guy in the store told me its popular crib and nice quality
http://m.albeebaby.com/frankli.....k4ASQ

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:19 pm
I had a similar dilemma when we needed a crib for DD. The $200-$300 price tags appealed, but I didn't like the idea of paints and glazes made in China. I ran my finger along one crib in Babies R Us and the finish peeled away in my hands. A teething baby would have swallowed that garbage.

Plus I kept wondering if the crib would even last for more than 1 child. If you pay $300 each time you have a child, and you have 3 kids, that's $900. If a softwood crib lasts for 2 children but "dies" before the 3rd, that's $600. In my book, that's not a huge ton of savings.

In the end, I went for the real wood crib instead of a "rubberwood" or "pulp" made crib. I picked a crib that was made in the US. We lucked out in that we live semi near a furniture outlet store for the actual furniture maker (for example it's as if we live near a Stanley Outlet rather than near a Buy Buy Baby outlet). I ended up paying significantly under two thousand (which was our max budget) for a crib, crib mattress, the conversion kit to a toddler bed, an armoire, a dresser, delivery, assembly (I found that many of the other stores and online retailers would have dropped the crib and furniture off outside on the curb. Since we live in a walk-up, that wouldn't have worked for us), and tax.

I've been supremely happy with our decision.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:26 pm
I have the Young America crib and I'm very happy with it.
Its been in constant use for 4.5 years so far and still looks new. The quality is great.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 9:58 pm
I bought my crib when ds was 3months old from toys r us.
$200.
He has never tried to eat it or bite it or anything..

bitachon111

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:04 pm
from OP:

Thank you again for all the great input. So interesting I was also looking at the Franklin and Ben Arlington crib although didn't find such a good price as the link posted above. I thought it was a great alternative and looks very nice, hardwood, etc...until the haimishe store I spoke with today told me that Franklin and Ben is made in China. I was really surprised and started to wonder again about buying Young America. What confuses me is people who have DaVinci cribs say they are durable. That doesn't solve the toxicity issue of-course.

bks

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:18 pm
yes the franklyn and ben is made in taiwan.. its non toxic paint and finish, and non detectable levels of lead. I felt comfortable, because they are a newish company, and I thnk they are trying hard to focus on quality and safety. check out their website's safety information. you might feel more comfortable. I am personally very happy with the look and feel of the quality. good luck with your decision.

bitachon111

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:38 pm
Thank you for the information on Franklin.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:04 pm
Fyi, Taiwan is not China.

DH frequently works in both countries, and he says that made in Taiwan might not mean that the factory workers are being paid fairly, but it's not quite as low on the totem pole as China-made items.

He often mentions that the Taiwanese people he works with have a very very low opinion of anything "made in China".

bks

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 11:13 pm
I really knew that!! yes taiwan is not china:)

m+m

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 9:48 am
I received a very expensive crib and dresser as a gift. About $1500 for both pieces. When DD was teething she bit away at her crib (yes, like a beaver) and now the very expensive beautiful crib has ugly teeth marks on the entire crib. It makes me very sad. That being said I am happy it was an expensive "green" crib vs a cheap crib made of synthetic materials.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 11:05 am
Esti's Mom wrote:
I received a very expensive crib and dresser as a gift. About $1500 for both pieces. When DD was teething she bit away at her crib (yes, like a beaver) and now the very expensive beautiful crib has ugly teeth marks on the entire crib. It makes me very sad. That being said I am happy it was an expensive "green" crib vs a cheap crib made of synthetic materials.

There's a plastic piece that you can buy that goes over the railing.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 12:12 pm
Esti's Mom wrote:

Sounds like you are the victim of an expensive, rubberwood mixed with solid wood crib.

m+m

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:42 pm
Hurry, this is a great deal!!

http://www.toysrus.com/product.....73523
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....50660

m+m

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:42 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Esti's Mom wrote:

There's a plastic piece that you can buy that goes over the railing.

If only I knew about that 6 months ago....

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 3:20 pm
I have a pali crib. It seems to be in between the prices you mentioned. I am very very happy with it. This is from their website:

http://www.pali-design.com/ind.....ue=en

It is made in italy not china which is a big plus for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics