Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Kids outgrow furniture style?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:15 pm
Do you think kids would outgrow styles like these (now everyone is under 10)?
If so, by what age?
I don't have teens yet and would like to take future changes into account when considering bedroom furniture and storage options.

White for girls, brown or black for boys.
I'm not looking at the complete sets, rather headboards that would go with a plain bed frame, boxspring and bedskirt, and dressers/chests.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:16 pm
why don't you get natural wood colours ... they match everything & you cannot outgrow it ...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:24 pm
(amother not bec. of paranoia but I would not want ppl to know that I am looking for furniture now)

Greenfire, good idea but the styles should be diff too, no?

Something like this will probably create the same problem... And smth neutral like Ikea's dressers that would be fine for kids seem to be way too bland for now, like Malm series.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:37 pm
Though, looking at them for 20th time now, maybe they would be the best option: neutral enough to be dressed up by curtains etc. according to the stage.

anuta

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:44 pm
I don't like bookcase headboards; I think it is not good for sleeping, too distracting, too much stuff near the head.... it makes it not a sleep space in a sense. I would get a plain wooden or upholstered headboard instead.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:52 pm
neutral can always be dressed up according to time & desire - by linen/curtains/room decor/paint on walls/etc. ...

black not so much - besides it's morbid ... and even if white is pretty as a princess - who said every girl wants to be a princess ...

sure it's fun to put a bookshelf next to you ... but it's not practical because it will be too distracting for bedtime ... your head needs quiet space [inside & out]

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:54 pm
anuta wrote:
I don't like bookcase headboards; I think it is not good for sleeping, too distracting, too much stuff near the head.... it makes it not a sleep space in a sense. I would get a plain wooden or upholstered headboard instead.

I feel like agreeing with you.

What initially attracted me was that they seem to keep stuff organized (that would -in my house- inevitably accumulate on nightstands), Could be though it's just the nice photo shots with rows of books and little cute alarm clocks. I guess bookcase heabdoards could be either super-orderly or super-cluttered.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 2:56 pm
but that cute little side table has an open space as well as drawers to hide everything ... so you can still have stuff close by - but taken out as needed vs cluttering the space

harriet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:02 pm
I don't particularly see why neutral is more suitable for "all ages" than mahogany and/or white.

I had white as a kid and that's what's in my old bedroom at my parents' house to this day. Once the accessories are changed to be more grown up, it's fine!

We have mahogany now in my master bedroom and I can assure you it does not look immature.

I love all the furniture you posted!

Good luck with your decision.

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:02 pm
I think the Malm dressers are suitable for everyone, especially in the neutral wood shades. Boys, girls, babies, teens, adults.

I'd go for something neutral like that than change the rest of the decor to make the room suitable for whatever age or gender you need it for. A different colour of paint, even on just one wall can make quite a difference, or you could use wall papers, curtains, bedding etc to give the room an older/ younger/ more masculine/ feminine feel.

It's also easier to change things like that than it is to change big items of furniture.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:03 pm
Agreed on white for princess, that's why it would be good for today but probably not 5-6 years from now.
Black/brown ones would be for boys.

(whispering) I wouldn't get this type of nightstand bec. it would invite mess. I'd rather get a 2-drawer one.
That's also why I like 4-drawer chests better than double dressers: less chance of dumping stuff on a higher surface. 5-drawer ones I find too tall for kids & they're probably more likely to be toppled over.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:06 pm
harriet wrote:
I don't particularly see why neutral is more suitable for "all ages" than mahogany and/or white.

I had white as a kid and that's what's in my old bedroom at my parents' house to this day. Once the accessories are changed to be more grown up, it's fine!

We have mahogany now in my master bedroom and I can assure you it does not look immature.

I love all the furniture you posted!

Good luck with your decision.

Totally agree about colors being adaptable.
I found the styles rather than the colors lovely but questionable.

Barbara

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:53 pm
I don't like the dark brown, but I don't think it would be outgrown.

White is a bit little girley, but I think its fine for a teen. Neutral may be better.

And I will disagree and say that I love the bookcase headboards. Perfect for dolls and toys for littluns, and books for all.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 4:04 pm
what is a doll ?

Barbara

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 4:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
what is a doll ?

YOU are a doll!

So is this:

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 5:51 pm
Anyone would share from experience pros and cons of single 3-, 5-, and double 6-drawer dressers/chests?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 7:28 pm
my worst nightmare chucky ...

especially because sonny boy owned my buddy & he's still lurking around our attic - BOO !!!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 2:01 pm
bump (not for dolls)

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 3:38 pm
if you want good quality ... look at stanley young america furniture ... they advertise as from kid to college ... they are solid wood & include a variety of styles & colours

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 3:21 pm
Growing up, I had a set similar to the first one in white from ages 3-18. It's so classic, I don't see why a teen would outgrow it. Classic furniture like this doesn't have to change in the teen years. What I changed were the carpeting and the color of my walls. Bed linens and photographs stuck in the mirror can reflect a child's changing interests and styles.

In our home in Israel, we have neutral and white plain design furniture in the kids' bedrooms, so that it can suit whichever kids end up using those rooms over the years ahead. If furniture is versatile it doesn't have to be changed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics