Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Yonkers - gas heat in Israel

myname1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 5:40 am
I just moved into a place with yonkers- I think that's the name- the gas heaters attached to the walls in Israel. All the apartments with it seem to advertise it, so I'm guessing it is something beneficial, but can't seem to see the benefit. We've only turned it on a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to really warm the room- only if you actually stand next to it you feel it, and if you touch it it's really hot. But the heat doesn't seem to spread.

Also, it seem really expensive. The gas guy said something like 4 or 5 NIS/hr it's running, but that seems like it would really add up. We've been just wearing TONS of layers, but want to find some sort of balance between heating and dressing warm. We were thinking maybe 1 hr on, 2-3 off would work, but since it really doesn't spread the warmth, I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Has anyone done something like this? What do people do to warm their houses a normal amount in the winter here? I know it's often cold in Israeli homes, and now I see why, but especially with young children, people must do something!

Does anyone know how the cost of these gas heaters compares to the cost of an electric space heater? We're new to being homeowners, so trying to figure out systems for all this stuff. Thanks!

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 6:02 am
Yankers are safer than electric heaters and make a nice heat IMO. The key is to keep the temperature low and leave them on longer. They do heat the room up, but over time.

The higher the temperature the more it will cost per hour. We have never had a 3,000+ nis gas bill, and the bill is for two months, even when we had our yunkers on 24/7 (sick preemie in the house). They aren't cheap to run, but neither is electricity.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:17 am
Are you in the Jlm area? If not, could it be that the Junkers is just for hot water and hot heating the house?

Smile1234

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:21 am
My yonkers heats the house really well. Maybe your radiators are on very low? You can adjust how hot the radiators get I think with the knobs that turn them on and off.

Liba - how much is yonkers bill usually in the cold winter months? (its my first winter with a yonkers)

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:53 am
When we wanted to install a yunkers last winter the gas company told us it cost about 1NIS/hour to run. Why would your gas company tell you something 4x as much?

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 10:02 am
Your bill is going to vary wildly based on how high you have them on, for how long and how large your home is. Smile We have had some shocking (over 1,000nis) bills, but B"H never a 3,000nis bill. We get billed bimonthly.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 10:42 am
A small fan might distribute the heat?

A ceiling fan?

myname1

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 10:01 am
Thanks so much for all the tips! We made sure the heaters were fully open, and that seems to have helped a bit. We are still layering to save on costs, but at least now we know a bit more about what's normal.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 10:04 am
I want to post a picture of my yonkers so maybe someone can tell me which dial is for what. The only way to post a picture is through imageshack?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics