Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Frozen waffles vs homemade
1  2  Next

acccdac

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:46 pm
I am putting this in organization because for me this is an issue of time, space, cleanliness and organization. It is not an issue of healthy (preservatives) or money.

I usually have about 4 boxes of waffles at a time in my freezer, because we can go through 2 boxes a week easily during breakfast.

Breakfast/morning routine in this house is a 20-30 minutes process in which we get up, get dressed, make breakfast. On morning that we take carpool, breakfast goes in the car with us and on the mornings that we dont take, the kids usually have time to eat it at the table.

I am running out of freezer space which means I dont always have a box in the freezer and the kids want it for breakfast verses eating cereal or toast.

I was wondering that maybe I'm better off buying the waffle/pancake mix (or make homemade) that I can prepare and leave in the fridge in a pitcher for up to 4 days and then in the morning, just pour it into a waffle maker.

My concerns with this issue is now the storage of the contraption (I LOVE contraptions its just the storing that can be an issue) and the cleaning of the waffle maker, along with does it take long for it to bake on the waffle maker, do I need to be standing in front of it the whole time (verses getting the younger kids dressed)?

do I buy the machine and create a little more work for myself but worthwhile work?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:53 pm
why does it have to be waffles ? how about pancakes - it's more simple & quick to make in the moment ... same nutritional value - if any ...

acccdac

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 3:07 pm
my kids enjoy the waffle texture (crunchy) more than a pancake (fluffy).

Truth is a frying pan and possibly a waffle maker is the same clean-up.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 3:28 pm
oh well - I thought you said the waffle maker was hard to clean ... make me some waffles why you're at it & send some ice cream too

granolamom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 3:56 pm
we have a waffle maker. its not hard at all to clean, I pretty much just wipe it down. I make the waffle batter at night, my older kids can make their own waffles in the morning. easier than pancakes because they dont need to use the stove.
the waffles bake really quickly but you do need to be standing there or they will burn. there's an indicator light on mine that lets you know when its ready (you set level of done-ness) and you need to take it out when the light is on. my guess is that frozen is probably easier.
I do homemade because its so much cheaper. for you, it would boil down to where you need the space. waffle mix takes up space in the fridge (and if you want it to last four days, you'd need alot) and the waffle maker takes up cabinet space. if your need for freezer space is greatest, then yeah, buy the waffle maker. they arent very expensive and you can use it if you ever go on vacation.
hth

bubbebia

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:02 pm
DH is the waffle/pancake maker in our family but waffles/pancakes are strictly Sunday activities as no one has time during the week to do it. What he does is to make a double batch and freezes the extras so that during the week all we have to do is pop them in the microwave or the toaster oven. Make it a family affair so the kids can help with the mixing and pouring.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 5:08 pm
I make my own and never bought ready made, but do you take the waffles out of the box? It would take up much less room. I also, like a previous poster said, make double the amount of waffles and freeze, but homemade and ready made take up same amount of room. I don't think you have to watch it, just set a loud timer. My old waffle maker took 3 minutes to cook and my new one 5.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 5:15 pm
if you have room in the fridge for the week - you can leave them in the fridge vs freezer or a batter in a bottle as you said might work for the week

& don't buy a batter ... all it contains is a mixture of flour/baking powder/sugar/salt - something you can put together in a minute ... even the boxed mixes call for milk/egg & mixing so you're not saving there

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 7:11 pm
I love my waffle maker. I bought the kind where you can flip the griddles over, and have it either flat or waffle style. That way you can make pancakes, beef fry, hamburgers, waffles, veggie patties (assuming that your waffle and pancake batter are parve - use soy milk.)

You can make crunchy, low fat latkes by spraying the waffle side well with pan spay, and then putting your batter in there to cook. DH like it better than latkes cooked in a pan full of oil.

If you get the kind like I have, where the griddles lift out, you can wash them in the dishwasher, or at least more easily by hand if you use a stiff brush.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:11 pm
I make waffles on Sundays and the kids reheat them in the toaster or oven for a few minutes in the AM. They even like them microwaved. I do the same with pancakes and reheat in microwave. Takes no time.

bamamama

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:26 pm
I wouldn't leave batter for a few days. Something makes it turn brown and unappetizing. My pancake recipe says to use immediately and I always get rid of leftover batter (and pancake batter is very similar to waffle batter). If you wanted to go the homemade route for space considerations, I'd mix the dry ingredients and store them in a container in the cupboard then I would take out a measured amount and add the oil, egg, and milk that morning. Might be more hassle than you want.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:35 pm
bamamama wrote:
I wouldn't leave batter for a few days. Something makes it turn brown and unappetizing. My pancake recipe says to use immediately and I always get rid of leftover batter (and pancake batter is very similar to waffle batter). If you wanted to go the homemade route for space considerations, I'd mix the dry ingredients and store them in a container in the cupboard then I would take out a measured amount and add the oil, egg, and milk that morning. Might be more hassle than you want.

why waste them ... make the pancakes and store those ...

either way they do sell batter in a bottle ... do those also say use right away - I wonder

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:46 pm
Why not take the store bought pancakes out of the box before you store them in the freezer? Pack them in double Ziploc bags. Takes up much less space.

Barbara

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:54 pm
greenfire wrote:
bamamama wrote:

either way they do sell batter in a bottle ... do those also say use right away - I wonder

They probably have a preservative.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:00 pm
If you can find dehydrated eggs or the like, I am sure that homemade pancake batter would last longer in the fridge.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:05 pm
1. Keep 1 box of frozen waffles in the freezer (in case you run out), but keep 1-2 boxes in the fridge. You go through them quickly enough that they should keep.

2. Try to get your kids to eat other breakfast foods. If they don't like cereal or toast, then what about yogurt or granola bars or muffins or oatmeal or french toast or farina or pizza bagels or pita pizzas or pretty much anything else that's quick and easy and doesn't take up much freezer space?

busydev

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:38 pm
we have made a double ir triple batch of pancake batter and stored what we had left in a washed out large ketchup bottle in the freezer which we would then defrost as needed and squirt in the pan for perfect sized fresh pancakes.

you can always try batter in the fridge and see what it looks like the next morning.
also to consider-how many waffles does a maker make at once vs how many do you fit in the toaster every morning? that can also add time of you need 2-3 shifts.

acccdac

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:28 pm
thanks all!

you've given me a lot of food for thought (pun not intended!)

spinkles

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:45 pm
My kids love rice cakes with melted cheese for breakfast. It's fast--they can make it themselves in just a few seconds in the microwave--and it's portable. Would that be an option for you?

bamamama

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:54 am
greenfire wrote:
bamamama wrote:

My experience with those is that they are dry ingredients and you add water and shake it up...but I haven't been in the grocery store much in the US in the past 8 years. And, yeah, if she would make multiple batches of waffles, that would solve the freshness problem...but not the storage problem.

OP, have you considered a chest freezer? They aren't that expensive. We actually have a standing freezer downstairs and find it to be indispensable - I can stock up when meat, etc is on sale.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics