Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Nageela Midwest?
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 3:56 am
http://campnageelamidwest.org/.....eela/ (EEEEK! Kiruv Camp! shock)
Has anybody been to this camp? Were your kids happy with it? What were the bunks like?

DD is in public school, so we're applying for every scholarship we can get our hands on. A good friend of mine (very frum, yeshivish) recommended the camp, and thinks that it will be compatible with our hashkafa.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 6:46 am
I heard it's a great camp. I know some people who worked at the one on the east coast and they loved it.
I don't think it focuses on kiruv- that would be more like Girlzone- rather they give the girls a fun and wholesome experience in a Jewish atmosphere.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 7:01 am
Its an amazing camp! I dont think jf has anything to do with the east cosg camp though. Its run by rabbi Rovinsky and other ncsy staff from the midwest region mainly. When if started it was for jr ncsyers. Lots of Dallas kids come because Rabbi Mike (as hes known there) is from dallas originally (now st louis). He knows his audience - younger kids from mainly non yeshivish schools. Its community day schools and public schoolers. So because of the nature of the ages and backrounds, its just to show them an amazing time as opposed to kiruv. I would not compare it to the oorah camps in any way. And as a side note, I sent 10 kids there the second summer it aas open from the city which I was the ncsy advisor for. They loved it. And they are extreemly generous with financial aid.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:17 am
It's a great camp!
I know a lot of the staff members there, both head staff (married woman) and single staff. They are energetic, friendly, giving, openminded, and fun!!! I could imagine that being in camp with them would be a great experience.
I also know a girl that went as a camper, she loved it. She attends the reunions and really keeps up with the girls. This girl comes from a non-religious family, and she is so happy to have frum friends and a support system from camp!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 10:28 am
The director is a close relative of mine, and we were invited up for a Shabbos this past summer. I was very impressed with the camp. It is very well run.

The director's wife is on here; maybe she'll chime in.

asd3

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 10:53 am
Ok director's wife here...
The girl's division is a great well run program with amazing staff that work hard all day and night to make sure the kids are having a good time. It is not about kiruv at all but giving the girls a Jewish identity that they should be proud that they're Jewish and hopefully that is something they will keep with them as they go thru life. It is not run by ncsy though it is affiliated with it. Rabbi mike has nothing to do with the girls program though he is on staff for the boys program. It is connected with camp nageela east though their staff is not involved with our program. The grounds are very large and beautiful. Most of the kids come from not frum homes and are in public school. I'm not sure if I answered everything but if u have any other questions feel free to ask.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:19 pm
I think it'll be great. I don't have as much info as some other posters but strong impressions. Hatzlacha!

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:31 pm
Not only do I hear wonderful things about the camp in general, but teenagers from our community trip over each other to get staff jobs because the atmosphere is so much fun and they feel like they get as much or more out of it spiritually than the campers.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 4:13 am
Thanks you all SO much for this information!

Obviously we're Orthodox, but there are hardly any girls DD's age in our community, and they are all in Jewish schools and have their own cliques.

I showed DD the website, and she just about jumped out of her chair. I think she's already planning what to pack. Very Happy

Now I just have to figure out all of the financial aid stuff. Aside from the Federation, who else can I apply to?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 9:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Obviously we're Orthodox, but there are hardly any girls DD's age in our community, and they are all in Jewish schools and have their own cliques.

I showed DD the website, and she just about jumped out of her chair. I think she's already planning what to pack. Very Happy

Now I just have to figure out all of the financial aid stuff. Aside from the Federation, who else can I apply to?

You should be aware that on the whole, the Nageela campers are not Orthodox. Obviously if they're there, either they or their parents have Jewish interest, but are you sure you want your frum daughter together with a camp full of not yet frum kids?

It is a wonderful camp, but you should probably investigate further and call them to be sure it is suitable for your daughter.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:03 am
OOTBubby wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:

You should be aware that on the whole, the Nageela campers are not Orthodox. Obviously if they're there, either they or their parents have Jewish interest, but are you sure you want your frum daughter together with a camp full of not yet frum kids?

It is a wonderful camp, but you should probably investigate further and call them to be sure it is suitable for your daughter.

I'm not FF, obviously, but the options might be a mainstream camp with girls from all backgrounds, but shomer Shabbos families, or a camp like Nageela with outstanding counselors who are alert to take the campers' pulses and work to create long-lasting relationships. Not that all camps don't have their pick of great counselors and choose accordingly, but I think this can be really good for FF's daughter.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:13 am
remembering that she's in public school - I think it will give her the frum environment with jewish girls - but without all the pressure of who is frummer ... to me it sounds like a fun place that your daughter will be comfortable in ...

good luck !!!

aside from the federation - there are shul matched funds - but they may be connected with the federation ... also many towns have a camp scholarship fund - I'm not sure how big seatle is - but there might be a city that has one - where maybe you know of a person who will speak on behalf of your need

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:15 am
It may very well be a good place for her, but I just think that FF should check with the camp to make sure.

smileyface:)

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 2:11 pm
did she go? how was it?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 3:05 pm
If she went I assume it was for the 2014 year.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 3:53 pm
IIRC, her DD decided to go to day camp instead last year and this year they made aliya.

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:08 pm
my daughter was a staff member there and loved it!! thats why I asked Smile

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:10 pm
smileyface:) wrote:
my daughter was a staff member there and loved it!! thats why I asked Smile

It's a great place. The camp director is a close relative of mine.

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:47 pm
thats cool! she worked alot with head staff

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:48 pm
My sister was also there as staff Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children