Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you afraid to fly?
1  2  Next

lotte

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:36 pm
Due to my work I travel a lot.
Every time before I have to fly I feel so...hm...how can I say it?
so many funny scary thoughts...terrorism accidents I see it all in front of my eyes .I am nervous about the kids etc...and when the plane takes off I look around and it seems to me I am the only one sweating....cold sweat!
Am I the only meshigene here?

withhumor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:40 pm
it’s normal because when you’re up there you’re not in control, like in your own car. Also, we don’t understand the mechanics of air flight, so we panic from every bump, always nervous that this one, will be the last…. Ch”v when in fact, air pockets are normal… and the pilot is in control all the time (mostly, anyway).

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:46 pm
Yup, me too. Although I dont get cold sweats, I do get nervous every time we make tickets to fly (and we fly pretty often since we live OOT), and I cant wait to see myself back home safe and sound. I wasn't always like this, only recently, dont know why Confused .

WaitingtoDeliver

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:48 pm
YES YES YES!

I hate flying. And I am not looking forward to flying home for Pesach--although I can't wait to go home. (Home here refers to childhood home-can't stop refering to it as that)!

I squeeze my husband's hand, daven, and sit with my eyes closed the whole way. I am way too nervous to walk around....

I only became this way since we got married...so don't know what that's all about. I know it's safe-- my dad is a pilot.

So I really feel for you teneleven. Let's sit next to each other next time we fly for moral support! Very Happy

lotte

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:53 pm
[quote="WaitingtoDeliver"]YES YES YES!

I hate flying. And I am not looking forward to flying home for Pesach--although I can't wait to go home. (Home here refers to childhood home-can't stop refering to it as that)!

I squeeze my husband's hand, daven, and sit with my eyes closed the whole way. I am way too nervous to walk around....
I hope it is not a VERY long flight.... LOL

happyone

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 1:15 pm
I'm with you on this one!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 1:16 pm
I'm more afraid of driving. I've never seen a plane wreck in person, however, I've seen tons of bad accidents on the street.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 1:31 pm
Definately - but I usually take it in stride - you don't see me sweat ... until the last time I went on a plane to Kansas chabad convention ... ha as I got on the plane ... it was soooooooooooo tinnnnnnnnny and there was like no place to go ... I couldn't breath ... lucky I was with 2 other people ... one said look out the window and pretend you're out there with the air .... I felt like a meshuganer for sure ... but I actually had a stash of anxiety pills that dr gave me when dd was in hospital ... don't even know why I brought them with ... but I took one and started ranting tehillim ... and wow what a crazy flight ...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 2:13 pm
Plane is not so bad, but helicopter is terrible... the noise, the cold, and the moving (nausea). I hate when they're too lazy to close the door!
There are many more accidents in helicopter than plane, according to my dad. He learned to fly both in the army but hasn't touched one for decades (too many accidents). I used to want to learn too but he didn't allow me. LOL

cindy324

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 2:27 pm
I very much dislike flying. I avoid it if I possibly can. I especially hate the take-off part. I'm always scared that something's going to go terribly wrong , I mean HOW DOES A HUGE AIRPLANE LIFT UP INTO THIN AIR LIKE THAT????!!! I know it makes no sense at all, but I get especially nervous if I see the flight is packed. More people , heavier plane. G-d help me if I ever have to get on a jumbo jet LOL !

I
Quote:
t was soooooooooooo tinnnnnnnnny and there was like no place to go ... I couldn't breath ...

Ha ha, that reminds me of the time Dh and I booked a trip to Florida with Hotwire. We had to catch a connecting flight in Washington DC. At the last minute they changed our gate number, and somehow we were one of the last ones to know. When we got to the new gate, the flight attendant waiting at the gate greeted us by our last names!! I was like, wow! How did she know who we were??!! Well, when the plane is a 30 passenger capacity (including flight attendant) and you're the only married couple on the flight manifest, it ain't too hard to figure out! Anyhow, it was the longest 25 minutes of my life!

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 3:23 pm
I actually love the feeling of takeoff and landing. I guess I'm the odd one out, I really enjoy and look forward to flying!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 3:25 pm
I'm not such a fan of landing, b/c sometimes it's bumpy, but I do like takeoff.

frog

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 3:33 pm
yes I am very afraid to fly. as I check in I see the flight number in the headlines and imagine the sad story of a sweet promising family on board. during take off I totally hyperventillate. I shake uncontrollably. it is very scary for those around me. I just don't get people who actually sleep during take off. I have actually done a flying without fear course. it worked then but its been a few years and I am as scared as ever!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 3:40 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I'm not such a fan of landing, b/c sometimes it's bumpy, but I do like takeoff.

Wow, I'm the exact opposite. I hate the rollercoaster feeling of taking off, but I don't mind the landing at all.

cindy324

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 3:52 pm
Quote:
I just don't get people who actually sleep during take off.

I don't either. never mind sleeping, but one time , as I was boarding a plane, I walked past a passenger who was reading a Dean Koontz novel, which was a story about a horrific plane crash. I read that book a couple of weeks before. shock

amother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 4:28 pm
When I fly, I always think that something will maybe happen to the flight (unlikely - but still MIGHT happen), and that it was the last time I saw my loved ones...
Curiously, it does not depress or scare me, I'm more kind of fatalist...
We are in the hands of g-d in the same way, whether we drive a car, walk on the sidewalk, stay at home or fly a plane... Things can happen everywhere....

chaimsmom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 4:47 pm
cindy324 wrote:
I especially hate the take-off part.

My husband is afraid to fly. He even saw a psychologist for it, who said that a lot of people who are afraid to fly have a problem with take-offs but nothing else. For years he has taken a mild tranquilizer shortly before take-off. It's such a low dose that it wears off before landing.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 4:54 pm
I always take a gravol (dramamen?) to knock myself out before take-off otherwise I get very naseus.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 6:14 pm
I like to leave some $$ pushed between mezuza and wall ... with a promise to give it to tzedaka when I come back home ... my own "sheliach gelt"

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:40 am
I didn't fly in a long time but I'm absolutely, obsessively dead scared to ride in a car.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics