Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why is it so hard to crush fresh garlic with a press?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:13 pm
I used to only use frozen cubes and garlic powder. I just bought a garlic press and Im finding it so hard to use. It physically hurts my hands to pudh the handles so hard. And its hard to make the little piece fit into the 'basket.'

I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Calphalo.....press
Am I doing something wrong?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:23 pm
Unless you're using huge industrial amount of chopped garlic, I find it easier just to chop with a small knife. (cut in one direction without completely severing pieces, then cut across, the same way you chop onions.) Esp considering time to wash off and clean the garlic press. Also the sliced or coarsely chopped garlic is milder than crushed garlic, and that's the way I like it. If you want it stronger, you can use a mini mortar and pestle.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:41 pm
I guess it's the press, cause I never had a problem with ours. It's really old, so I don't think I can find a picture of it. But I'd still say it's worth it to try another kind.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:43 pm
Obviously you got the wrong garlic press

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:44 pm
Yeah, must be a bad press. I use mine all the time and couldn't manage without it. It's an old model oxo. But I've used bad ones at other people's homes, and those are so worthless I'd rather chop by hand.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
I used to only use frozen cubes and garlic powder. I just bought a garlic press and Im finding it so hard to use. It physically hurts my hands to pudh the handles so hard. And its hard to make the little piece fit into the 'basket.'

I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Calphalo.....press
Am I doing something wrong?

Return it.

I have one similar to that, and it is very hard to use. Not only that, you have to fish out the "skin" of the garlic after every single bulb. I don't mean the "paper", I mean the thin membrane after you peel off the paper. The skin gets stuck in the holes, and it just gets harder and harder to use.

Trade it in for one of these, and you'll be MUCH happier. http://www.amazon.com/KitchenA.....rater

Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:51 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Unless you're using huge industrial amount of chopped garlic, I find it easier just to chop with a small knife. (cut in one direction without completely severing pieces, then cut across, the same way you chop onions.) Esp considering time to wash off and clean the garlic press. Also the sliced or coarsely chopped garlic is milder than crushed garlic, and that's the way I like it. If you want it stronger, you can use a mini mortar and pestle.

Supposedly, crushing, rather than chopping, garlic releases its health properties.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 9:08 pm
So what is a good press to buy?

what do you think of this one? Are these the same product?
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....03930
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stee.....eader

bubbebia

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:00 pm
Instead of a garlic press, which can be hard to use and you never get as much out of it as you should, try using a fine or medium microplane. There is little waste, it's easy to use and easy to clean.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 12:07 am
It's the style garlic press you got.

Try this one, very easy to use - http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-S.....m_k_5

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 12:23 am
Are you putting in a few cloves of garlic at a time?
A good garlic press is not difficult to press.

Oh, and congratulations on switching to REAL garlic. Smile

ElTam

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 2:41 am
I've never found a garlic press I liked. I've thrown a few in the trash. I press it into the cutting board with a fork and then chop it fine.

And I love Anthony Bourdain's line about garlic, "If you're too lazy to chop your own garlic, you don't deserve to eat it."

ally

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 2:42 am
I like the IKEA press.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 4:01 am
I fine it's easier to cut the garlic into smaller pieces before putting in the garlic press

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 4:07 am
ElTam wrote:
I've never found a garlic press I liked. I've thrown a few in the trash. I press it into the cutting board with a fork and then chop it fine.

And I love Anthony Bourdain's line about garlic, "If you're too lazy to chop your own garlic, you don't deserve to eat it."

Who cares about Anthony Bourdain?

I buy the jars of pre-minced garlic. Works just fine. Smile

Happy18

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 7:48 am
I have that one, it works fine for me. I mostly use a knife though and mince it into tiny pieces. Less cleaning.

smiledr

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 8:13 am
I have a great garlic press I think I got in bed and bath for 7 dollars - works every time. Sure, u need to press hard but that's bec garlic is hard so if u want it crushed/minced it'll take a little effort. I use jarred garlic too but it doesn't have the same taste as fresh pressed garlic.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 9:15 am
I have the same garlic press as op and I like it.
the piece with the indents swings back and forth so if the press is overloaded, it does not fit into the "basket." try putting in only one large or two small cloves at a time.
also, it says that you can use it with the skins. it's possible, but it makes it much harder to press. what I do is put it in with the skin and give it a light press. this makes the skin crack. then take it out and the skin slips right off. then press.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 9:24 am
I put my garlic cloves into a small plastic bag, and I bang it with a meat pounder. It works beautifully.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 1:42 pm
DrMom wrote:
ElTam wrote:

Who cares about Anthony Bourdain?

I buy the jars of pre-minced garlic. Works just fine. Smile
I am not only doing this for taste. Preminced or even even prepealed are expensive. If Im buing that I mights well continue buying frozen cubes.

Im trying to lower the food bill. Fresh garlic is so so much cheaper, even when you add in the cost of a garlic press.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen