Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Cosco Scenera Convertible carseat

sara_s

Post Sat, Dec 21 2013, 2:15 pm
I'm looking for a narrow convertible car seat, for age 12 months up (meanwhile DC is fitting in our infant car seat)

How is the Cosco Scenera? Will it fit rear facing in a small car?

Or can anyone reccommend a different narrow car seat, for under 150$?

Marion

Post Sat, Dec 21 2013, 4:18 pm
I wouldn't call it narrow (it's standard width), but it certainly fits rear-facing easily in a small car.

sara_s

Post Sat, Dec 21 2013, 4:20 pm
Marion wrote:
I wouldn't call it narrow (it's standard width), but it certainly fits rear-facing easily in a small car.

The site says 17.5 inches width, and most other car seats seem to be 20-21 inches. Is it wider in practice?

4eyes

Post Sat, Dec 21 2013, 7:24 pm
not sure about this specific seat, but when companies list the width, they're really listing the width of the base, not the width of the seat on the whole. There may be a wider portion further up the shell.

Some companies seem to try and keep their base super narrow, so that in theory they can say that more people can sit in the back seat while the seat is still installed. but that doesn't take into account the width of the seat further up, which can affect comfort of passengers, even if theoretically they are able to buckle up safely.

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 1:52 am
sara_s wrote:
Marion wrote:

The site says 17.5 inches width, and most other car seats seem to be 20-21 inches. Is it wider in practice?

When I had a Hyundai Getz (hatchback) I could get my Graco infant seat (with a base), the Scenera (without the cup holder; rearfacing) and a high backed booster/harness in the back seat. It was a tight fit! Later on when we turned DS#3 forward facing I had the Scenera, a Sunshine Kids (now Diono) Radian, and the high backed booster/harness 3 across in the Getz.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 1:17 pm
The Scenera IS on the narrower end of convertible seats, it's true.

You can also take a look at the Safety 1st Guide 65 (I just got it as the third seat in a 3 across) or the Evenflo SureRide LX which has better LATCH push-button connectors. Not sure what is available in your local store to try out.

The Scenera is fine as a budget seat, but installs aren't as simple as some others, and the padding is barely there, but it really is a decent seat for the average child.

sara_s

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:55 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The Scenera IS on the narrower end of convertible seats, it's true.

You can also take a look at the Safety 1st Guide 65 (I just got it as the third seat in a 3 across) or the Evenflo SureRide LX which has better LATCH push-button connectors. Not sure what is available in your local store to try out.

The Scenera is fine as a budget seat, but installs aren't as simple as some others, and the padding is barely there, but it really is a decent seat for the average child.

The safety 1st sure ride 65 looks really good! Is it a better car seat than the Scenera?

And how does it compare with the EvenFlo SureRide? I see they are similarly priced. Are they both equally small? What are the differences?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 10:09 pm
You mean the safety 1st guide 65 vs the evenflo sure ride?
The Evenflo is about half an inch wider at the front of the seat, but narrower at the back, so it's really a matter of how it will puzzle with other car seats if you end up needing to put it next to other car seats. It has a much better torso height limit, though, and that is an advantage over the Guide 65, if you can get the harness to still fit (most kids will find that tight when they get that tall). Either are prone to twisting and neither have strap covers. But this isn't different than the Scenera. The SureRide is an easier install. So the only drawback is that fraction of an inch width in the front of the seat.

sara_s

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 2:03 am
I won't be able to use Latch install, since I have a European car with IsoFix, so I guess I'll have to install with seatbelts. Does that make a difference?
And does the Evenflo take up more length room when it's RF? Because I also have a small car length wise, and I want to leave enough leg room in the front passenger seat for someone to sit.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 10:31 am
They both should be ok to be installed using seatbelts.
The Safety 1st Guide is shorter than the SureRide and takes up less space front-to-back.

sara_s

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 2:19 am
Great, so I think I'm gonna go with the Safety 1st Guide. Thanks for all your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics