Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Neve Aliza
1  2  Next

frummy613

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 9:44 am
We are a "Chardal" family looking to move to a warm, community with a good Rav and a nice anglo sized population but enough of a hebrew speaking population that our children will learn....
as of now we are finding more about neve aliza . anyone live there?
we would also like the location to be scenic...
could someone tell us about Neve Aliza?

Also,
Chanchy123 wrote a long post of all the Chardal communities, including karmei tzur, maon, elon moreh, yitzar, har bracha, revava bet chagai and maalei levona

the problem is, I cant get any information on these places. namely, what the rav is like, how many anglo, etc etc.
there is absolutely no info on nefesh bnefesh and I have no other resource.
can anyone help us!
Thanks so much!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 11:13 am
I live in Neve Aliza Very Happy . It's a great community. Nice sized with all types but I don't think it's Chardal. There are a lot of Torani but I don't think it's Chardal. Many of the boys go to Hesder after HS as opposed to straight army but they all go to the army. You barely see men wearing jackets on Shabbat and no hats for men at all. I think the majority of the women cover their hair not all - but that's OK, you don't need everyone to be exactly like you.

It's a nice anglo community for us immigrant parents but the kids basically speak Hebrew amongst themselves. Makes it easier for olim kids since they're understood and make friends but they have to learn Hebrew too.

Our public elementary school is co-ed but the classes are separate and the girl's uniform shirts are 3/4 sleeves (sounds like a funny way to describe a school but I was annoyed that they pushed it on my daughter). It's called a Torani dati public school. The boys also have a Talmud Torah school which has become the popular choice.

How old are your kids? I'll look for more info on the age group you're in since things are sometimes different in different age groups.

It's pretty scenic here and housing is cheap as opposed to the city (I live in a large house that we own - It cost as much as a very small apartment in the city).

Sanguine

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 12:36 pm
Now that I sang the praises of Neve Aliza - It's not for you. The ones that Chanchy suggested really don't have anglos (maybe they do - I don't know anyone in them)

so here are some new suggestions

Alon Shvut
Nof Ayalon - was built off of Shalavim kibbut/yeshiva - very well located and therefore more expensive
Shilo

those places are closer to chardal or seriously Yeshivish and they have Anglos

Efrat has everything (I think) but they don't have Yishuv prices so if that's not the problem, there are women from Efrat here.

You're still in America? When are you planning aliya?

mandksima

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 1:38 pm
Anglo, Chardal, and scenic all together is a tall order. I agree with Sanguine, Neve Aliza is not Chardal but does have a nice mix. I live next to Neve Aliza and I think the older Israeli and Anglo families around me are more Chardal than many of the younger ones in Neve Aliza. NA is mostly Modern Orthodox/DL but there is a wide range. Again, how old are your kids? That makes a difference. Not many families keep TV/movies/secular music out of their homes so I assume that would not be what you are looking for.

I would look into Nof Ayalon, Neve Daniel/Alon Shvut? Did you want the Shomron in particular? Maybe Kedumim, Har Bracha, Yitzhar like you said but there are not many Anglos. Either young ones that are newly married and their parents are in Neve Aliza or older Anglo families that have been here 30+ years and are fairly Israeli by now. If you want Anglos in this area, I think you'd have to give up the idea of an all Torani area and see if you're willing to live in a more mixed area. I know a bunch of families where the parents are more Torani but the kids followed suit of most of the kids here and are more DL but then again, some go Yeshivish so you never know.

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:01 pm
Just looked on the map. Is neve Aliza in karnei shmoron?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:03 pm
ROFL wrote:
yes

Sanguine

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:25 pm
ROFL wrote:

Neve Aliza is aneighborhood in Ginot Shomron. The "greater" Karnei Shomron is made up of 5 hilltops
Karnei Shomron, Ginot Shomron, Neve Menachem, Alonei Shilo, Ramat Gilad

We share a municipality (Moetzat Karnei Shomron). We share services and are pretty close. But each one is it's own Yishuv with it's own personality.

Many people say they live in Neve Aliza. I always say I live in Ginot Shomron. I think saying you live in Neve Aliza is like people who live in Riverdale never say they live in the Bronx.

frummy613

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:56 pm
to get a sense of how we are hashkafically,
we live near a very yeshivish kollel and basically live inline with their values, but do not dress alike nad we are very zionist.

my husband learns half a day/works half a day and I fully cover my hair with mitpachat. my kids have never seen a movie.

I know a place like chanchy said would be great for us, but I am very social and my hebrew is subpar, so unfortunately I would be isolated in a place that I agree with hashkafically.

truth be told, I want to just move anywhere to get to israel already!!!my husband is incredibally picky about this so I am trying to research for his sake, but honestly I just want to enter the country and situate outselves temporarily until we find a "perfect" fit (which may NEVER exist, I know!)

nof ayalon is mostly older families, I know because my cousin and his wife learns in shalavim and he is leaving because of $$ and the fact that he is one of the oldest families in shalavim and nof ayalon is too much money, no real real estate, and kind of old.

any more suggestions? I vote RBS as an absorption center of sorts!

frummy613

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 3:58 pm
oldest is going into kindergarten and we plan to move this summer

mandksima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:54 am
If that is where you are hashkaficly, OP, then no DL area would fit the bill. Maybe Kiryat Moshe or Kochav Yaakov but know that most likely, your kids will end up in typical charedi schools (unless you find a perfect one for you) and you will have to change certain outside appearances to get accepted and fit in somewhat. It is very hard to stay where you are exactly in terms of hashkafa as it doesn't exist on a grand scale. You can definitely do more research when you get here but I think RBS might be a good place to start because there are many like you there who probably have stayed because they haven't found the perfect place yet but maybe you'll find your niche there.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 1:15 am
I have a very good friend in Kamei Tzur. I think they are one of the founding members. If you PM me your e-mail I can put you in touch.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:23 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I have a very good friend in Kamei Tzur. I think they are one of the founding members. If you PM me your e-mail I can put you in touch.
The OP did mention that they want anglos. My sister lived there (with her israeli husband) and I can tell you that there are not many anglos at all.

LisaS

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:39 am
Check out Mevo Horon. We have a few anglos (15 families) which is just enough to have your social group, but few enough that the kids really become Israeli. Housing is not cheap like in the shomron, but on the plus side you are centrally located for commuting to jobs. We are in the valley, but not too bad scenery wise.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:58 am
LisaS wrote:
Check out Mevo Horon. We have a few anglos (15 families) which is just enough to have your social group, but few enough that the kids really become Israeli. Housing is not cheap like in the shomron, but on the plus side you are centrally located for commuting to jobs. We are in the valley, but not too bad scenery wise.

I got a fuller description in LII - Sounds perfect for you (there aren't many places like this) - 15 anglo families is good. They'll be your close friends and your Hebrew will improve too. Just find out their services. Do you really want to live on a Yishuv (I love it but some people can't stand the lack of services and action) - Yishuv life is great for kids.

I vote for Mevo Horon (LisaS will help you Very Happy )

LisaS

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:07 am
What is LII?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:11 am
LisaS wrote:
What is LII?
life in israel forum.

LisaS

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:24 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
LisaS wrote:
What is LII?
life in israel forum.

Oh (duh!). So interesting -I just searched that forum and found my thread from 6 years ago where I asked you all advice on living in MH. Seemed like such a long shot back then, but here we are for 4 years already. Belated thanks to all the imamothers for the encouragement!

Sanguine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:35 am
They should let anyone who actually opens up a Tik Aliya join LII

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 7:07 am
Hey, I'm happy to hear that I helped you. I think you should try to compromise on the Anglo side, a lot of these places will have second generation Israelis like me who do speak English, and also all educated Israelis speak English (however, IME the frumer people are the less English they know).
I think you should check out Har Bracha, Karmei Tzur, etc. Being very Zionist is an advantage, since it puts you in a ready made box with only the language as a barrier. Also I think maybe try Har Choma in Yerushalayim which is fairly cheaper than other neighborhoods and many families send to chardal schools in Y-M.
I do not think Neve Daniel or Alon Shvut would be suitable for you. If you're thinking Gush Etzyon go for Bat Ayin (more chareidi hippie) or Karmei Tzur.

Oh, and I grew up in NA so I can tell you it doesn't really sound like it would be good for you. Just because most/all the children are exposed to secular culture.

frummy613

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 7:53 am
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your suggestions.
I hope my Hebrew improves, and I have 2 very close friends in Israel (rbs) so I know that even if I am isolated because of language, I am always a bus ride away from my closest friends.

a funny story about mevo choron,
we live in an apt. building, and since we have lived here we have gotten these pamphlets about the community sent to the residents who lived in our apt 9 years ago! I keep them because I always tell my husband it looks perfect for us hashkafically, and now you guys are recommending it. Maybe it is is min hashamayim? My dh is going on a final trip in Feb. so if there is anyone he could speak to that would be amazing! Thanks

part of the reason we are leaving the u.s.is that we do not fit in hashkafically here. We believe in things like working, I do not wear a shaital and prob never eill and I grew up going to bnei akiva so we really believe in medinat yisrael.
although we love our kehilla here, we can't imagine sending our kids to a school where they learn anti Zionist things. And ee would never send our kids to the mixed Zionist school either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions